so tell me about your...

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
...dishwashing detergent! has anyone found a good "green" detergent that actually works well? i gotta tell ya, i love my cascade. how about laundry soap?

Survivor Mom - My Blog

May 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I use Cascade too Kristin. We tried 7th Generation for a while but it didn't get our dishes clean My granola meter only goes so high, I need clean dishes
As for laundry soaps, I tried Planet, Country Save, and a few other earth-friendly brands that I don't recall right now and my clothes and diapers just didn't get clean enough. We are using *evil* Tide - but we have clean nice smelling clothes I find with Tide I don't need very much at all, and it rinses clean easily so I don't have to do extra rinses. I also don't need stain cleaners or other chemicals. We use a squirt of Simple Green for spot treating stains, and Borax or baking soda to boost whites.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
jonnysmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jonnysmomma Send a message via Yahoo to jonnysmomma
You dont need to use coldwater detergent to wash in cold water. Any detergent works in cold.

i dont use "green" detergent but i use less than half of what the manufacturer calls for, and my clothes are just as clean.

Proud Mommy of Jonny, 8/7/04! We are loving Kindergarten!

May 4th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Quote:
I use Cascade too Kristin. We tried 7th Generation for a while but it didn't get our dishes clean My granola meter only goes so high, I need clean dishes
As for laundry soaps, I tried Planet, Country Save, and a few other earth-friendly brands that I don't recall right now and my clothes and diapers just didn't get clean enough. We are using *evil* Tide - but we have clean nice smelling clothes I find with Tide I don't need very much at all, and it rinses clean easily so I don't have to do extra rinses. I also don't need stain cleaners or other chemicals. We use a squirt of Simple Green for spot treating stains, and Borax or baking soda to boost whites.[/b]
we use tide too....and i agree, i can only go so far! i need clean dishes and clothes! its a bummer the *green* ones don't seem to works as well!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

May 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
My mom uses those packets in plastic-with the Jetson's commercical? For the dishwasher.

Right now i'm using Arm & Hammer free & clear. But i usually use All free & clear. I have to use free & clear for DD and my skin, does anyone know of a better one i can use? I haven't had to buy any for a while. I DO use reusable drier sheets and i feel sooo good about it! Even with the free & clear drier sheets i'd still get rashy type bumps but now nothing! Love it!
May 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
right noe we have A&H Essentials. it was recommended for cloth and i use very little in each load. for dishes we use dawn, I am the dishwasher here! lol
May 5th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Emily!'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Emily! Send a message via Yahoo to Emily!
All of our laundry is done with cold water. I use method. Mainly because it's concentrated. Haven't had any problems with my clothes being dirty. They smell pretty good too.
May 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
i only use cold water as well.
May 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
cdefgmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cdefgmomma Send a message via Yahoo to cdefgmomma
method has a dishwasher cleaner and it works great! I use a natural purel laundry soap and use less then it says and think my clothes never looked better..however if you use cold water and half what the other say to use that is green in its self...they always tell you you need more then what it takes!If you clothes mell like soap you use too much...all that stuff soaks into your pores.

May 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use Seventh Generation dish washing liquid and my laundry soap I'm trying to use up the rest of my old stuff so I can make my own.

May 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Quote:
I use Seventh Generation dish washing liquid and my laundry soap I'm trying to use up the rest of my old stuff so I can make my own.[/b]
how do you make your own?

Survivor Mom - My Blog

May 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well we are still using Kirkland (costco) because we find it greener to run dishes once on normal than twice on heavy with a "green" detergent If you want to be REALLY green its way better to handwash dishes, which i do several times a week just because it doesnt actually take that long. But i still use the dishwasher too.

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

May 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I have been using Simple Green in my laundry ever since reading a recipe on a cloth diaper website for making your own laundry detergent with it. From Sunshine Diapers:
Quote:
Personally, I’m thrifty and developed my own home-made formula that has worked well - not just for diapers but for all of my laundry:

1-3 Tbs washing soda (also known as sodium carbonate or soda ash. NOT the same as Baking Soda. If you can’t find it, call this number: 1-800-524-1328, and use UPC code 3320003020. They can tell you the stores in your area that carry it.)
1/2 Tbs Simple Green (usually 4 squirts)
Put above into washer as it fills (don’t try to mix them together first or you’ll end up with a brick!)
Why would this work? Washing soda (also called “soda ash” or “sodium carbonate”) is the basis of most detergents. They add surfactants and other things. It’s the “other things” we’re trying to avoid. Residue free detergents are usually mostly Washing Soda. One residue-free detergent on the list above contains “only pure washing soda, sodium silicates (washing soda and sand combined at high temperatures - keeps stuff suspended in water so it washes away) and a blend of mild surfactants.” Another is “soda ash, sodium percarbonate (oxygen bleach, like oxy-clean), and surfactants”. Besides the surfactants, these are simple ingredients easily available. That made me think I could approximate (though not duplicate) their detergents at home. All we needed was a surfactant. Or something WITH surfactants: my chemical engineering friend suggested Simple Green. It gives us surfactants plus extra cleaning power in a biodegradable, non-toxic format. A home-made detergent recipe that people have used for years is very similar but uses Washing Soda, and laundry soap. This is a very similar recipe that replaces the soap, which could cause waxy residue, with Simple Green.[/b]

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search