alternative power sources

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are really interested in using wind and solar power. We just found out that it an exemption on our property taxes. DH was wanting to make a windmill, but I think he has given up on the idea .

Does anyone use a windmill or solar panels to help power their house? How many solar panels do you need? Where can you buy them?

May 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
i wish we had solar or wind power. oh to be free of electic bills... but we are still slaves to the power company until we win the lotto and can afford our dream green home.
May 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
we live on base so we don't have an electric bill, but sometime in the future we would like to build a house and it will definitely have solar panels or a wind mill...or both!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

May 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Has anyone looked into just how much it would cost to install and put to work solar panels? I have never really thought much about that. I suppose if I were designing a dream home I would love it to be as energy-efficient and green as possible. It must be quite expensive or I would think more people would have it....

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
we live on base so we don't have an electric bill, but sometime in the future we would like to build a house and it will definitely have solar panels or a wind mill...or both![/b]
Thats what we want to do eventually too. DH wants to be totally off-grid, which i think is a little excessive but he is serious that he can make it work. But i think he's overly optimistic! His plan is wind, solar, and geothermal heating/cooling. But thats pretty far off in the future for us

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

May 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know where its at but I hear that you can apply for aid to get them and that the state will help you out with them! If can even sell back unused electricity to your local area!
May 5th, 2008, 11:00 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know where its at but I hear that you can apply for aid to get them and that the state will help you out with them! If can even sell back unused electricity to your local area!
May 6th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
theres a cool thing in my area called Bullfrog Power and it is on the grid, but what it does is injects into the grid the amount of power you use, but all the power they inject is "green". i am thinking of switching soon. i'm really bad at explaining it but check out the link for a better idea of what it's about!
May 6th, 2008, 08:58 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
When we eventually build our eco friendly home we'll put in a windmill/solar panels. Right now we can't since we live on base housing.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the best way to do solar power is to get involved in a solar co-op. A bunch of people get together (usually all the houses on a block or something) and buy the panels in bulk for a hefty discount. Of course that requires finding progressive neighboors, which are sometimes hard to come by in certain areas!

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

May 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think the best way to do solar power is to get involved in a solar co-op. A bunch of people get together (usually all the houses on a block or something) and buy the panels in bulk for a hefty discount. Of course that requires finding progressive neighboors, which are sometimes hard to come by in certain areas![/b]
That is a great idea. I don't think it would work in my neighborhood. All of my neighbors are really old and set in their ways.

May 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I want to when we buy our own home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search