Green cleaners

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Not the Clorox ones! I tried ones of those and it still smelled all chemically and had a TON of suds! Plus packaging. Anyway. In the interest of getting rid of chemicals and saving money, does anyone have any favorite recipes for green cleaners? Particularly ratios that work well for you, or things to use that some else may not have thought of? Maybe if we get a good list going, we could get Jerinda to sticky it for us!

August 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Snakes-n-Snails
I use a lot of vinegar, although I'm still trying to perfect my ratio, so I will let someone else weigh in there. I can say that I use vinegar on everything...outside the toilet, tile, countertops, tubs, mirrors, glass...everything. I put a few drops of tea tree oil in and usually spray everything with Hydrogen Peroxide afterwards to sanitize it. Peroxide is odorless, colorless and not harmful to humans or pets. It does not need to be rinse because 1)it's harmless 2)it evaporates pretty quickly.

For yucky soap scum or resides I make a paste with lemon juice and baking soda. I pour some baking soda into a small bowl and add lemon juice until it's pastey. I rub it onto the needed area, leave for a few minutes, then rinse off. The baking soda makes it gritty, so it scrubs it while you rub and the acid from the lemon juice eats it away.

For the inside of my toilet, I use a 7th Generation cleaner.

If I think of more, I'll come back and post it.
August 18th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Snakes-n-Snails
Does anyone else have anything to add to this?
August 18th, 2008, 07:26 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Thanks, Jerinda!

August 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
here are some I learned about:

Spray cleaner
Mix in a sprayer bottle:
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water

In the kitchen, use vinegar-and-water spray to clean countertops, lightly soiled range surfaces and backsplash areas.

In the bathroom, use vinegar spray cleaner to clean countertops, floors, and exterior surfaces of the toilet.

For really tough bathroom surfaces such as shower walls, pump up the cleaning power by removing the sprayer element and heating the solution in the microwave until barely hot. Spray shower walls with the warmed generously, allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes, then scrub and rinse. The heat helps soften stubborn soap scum and loosens hard water deposits.

Glass Cleaner Recipe

Mix in a sprayer bottle:
1 cup rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Furniture Polish Recipe

Mix in a sprayer bottle:
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice

Shake well and apply a small amount to a flannel cleaning rag or cleaning cloth. Spread evenly over furniture surface. Turn cloth to a dry side and polish dry.

All Purpose cleaner
Dissolve 4 tablespoons baking soda in 1 quart warm water for a general cleaner.

Disinfectant
Mix a half-cup of borax with 1 gallon hot water. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary or lavender. Steep for 10 minutes, strain and cool. Or add essential fragrant oils instead of fresh herbs. Store in a plastic spray bottle.

Toilet cleaner
For removing a stubborn stain, like toilet bowl ring, mix enough borax and lemon juice into a paste cover the ring. Flush toilet to wet the sides, then rub on paste. Let sit for 2 hours and scrub thoroughly. For less stubborn toilet bowl rings, sprinkle baking soda around the rim and scrub with a toilet brush.

Drain Cleaner

For slow drains, use this drain cleaner once a week to keep drains fresh and clog-free.
1/2 cup baking soda
1 cup white vinegar
1 gallon boiling water
1/2 a used lemon
Pour baking soda down drain/disposal, followed by vinegar. Allow the mixture to foam for several minutes before flushing the drain with boiling water.

Spot-free Dishwasher Rinse
Add 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse compartment of your automatic dishwasher. Wash dishes as usual.

August 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I clean the floors with vinegar. I fill up a mop bucket with hot water and add maybe a cup of vinegar. You can get 100% pure essential oil to add to the water so its not stink so much like vinegar. I saw a short on show on planet green on hot to make your own cleaner. I just forget what the ingredents are. I think its water, dish soap, vinegar and lemon juice. For everything else I use green works cleaners. Well not for dish soap.

Here is the planet green website. There is lots of good info on there.

planet green
August 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
mommylicious's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need to bookmark this post!

</div>
<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
August 21st, 2008, 04:58 AM
whiplash's Avatar Veteran
We should have a sticky thread with all the homemade recipe cleaners.

I know I will LOVE having that handy...as I plan on doing laundry detergent & dishwasher soap really soon
August 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Snakes-n-Snails
I have started a new sticky and think I added this link to it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search