Consumptionist wanting to go green

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am pretty much the picture of a consumer. I pretty much don't do anything to be green...but I REALLY want to! Especially with two children in the world. But looking at lists about what to do makes me hyperventilate

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Or a website with information on STARTING to go green? Thank!

March 3rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I started by making my own all purpose cleaner, buying environmentally friendly laundry and dish detergent, and switching to cloth napkins and stuff. Plus we have always had curb side recycling so that's good too! i try to recycle anything I possibly can.

March 4th, 2011, 06:12 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
Welcome Dani!!!! Take a deep breath and smile! You are among friends who will help and not judge. Lorelai is right. An easy first step is to just buy "green" dish soap and laundry detergent when your current soap is gone. Seventh Generation is a great brand that most stores carry, so you don't have to change your shopping route. When your toothpaste runs out, try Tom's. These are baby steps to get you going in the right direction. Actually, the first step was wanting to learn more. You did it!!

The all-purpose cleaner she spoke of is simple. It is used to wipe off kitchen and bathroom counters. It can be used to wipe up floors or pretty much anywhere you would use something like 409. if you're ready for that, here goes:
Take an empty spray bottle. Add 2 Cups water
2 Tbsp liquid Dr. Bronners Castile soap
5-10 drops Essential Oil
Give it a little swish before you use it each time to make sure it's all mixed up.

You can buy Dr. Bronner's at Target. If you're using this recipe, you need unscented. Or they make almond, peppermint, eucalyptus and maybe a few others, that you can use and skip the essential oils. That would be the easiest!! Water and Dr. Bronner's!

I get my essential oils from a small family-run company that I highly recommend! Essential oils can be used for lots of things. They have anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-microbial properties. Here's the link:

Find the Essential Oil That Best Fits Your Needs!

Their catalog is free if you request it, and has excellent articles on health and nutrition! The website has archives of the articles that you can read when you have time and are ready to learn more.

Stick with us! Ask any questions you can think of. We will help you any way we can. Welcome again to the Green Mommies board!
(This is our mascot. She can be found at the bottom of the smilies when you press: Show all smilies.)

There is a thread in the pink section of Green Mommies called "It's So Easy Being Green". It has a lot of ideas that you could look through and just try ONE at a time. This is a journey, not a race!! Every step is a good one. I look forward to getting to know you!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

Last edited by marmeeof5; March 4th, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
March 4th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you guys so much! I'll definitely look into what you guys are talking about. At the local Ingles, we have Seventh Generation stuff, so when we go grocery shopping I'll grab some.

March 5th, 2011, 06:31 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Welcome!! Glad you decided to join us! Just keep in mind; Baby steps. Every little thing you do makes a difference!

March 5th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
my first suggestion to any parent of babies or toddlers who want to go green, is to start cloth diapering, even part-time... it saves thousands of dollars, not to mention is healthier for your kiddos, and helps save the planet if that's something that may interest you, I suggest checking out the cloth diapering board here on JM

March 24th, 2011, 07:22 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
How's it going Dani? I've been thinking about you lately! I hope all is well in your family!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search