Zero Waste Home Articles (and video)

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
I just came across this article in Sunset magazine:
Zero-waste California home - Sunset.com

That led me to her blog:
The Zero Waste Home

This is a very interesting lady with alot of good ideas. Inspirational! I am tempted to introduce her to the idea of family cloth. She mentions buying toilet paper. And I am curious how she handles her monthly flow. All in all, very good ideas!

If you get a chance to check it out, let me know what you think. What changes could you make to be closer to zero waste???
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

March 18th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing!!!

March 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whoa, this is awesome. I can't wait to show DH when he can tear himself away from March Madness.

One question though- what does the lady mean in the article when she says most recycling goes to waste anyway? Is something happening that I don't know about??

March 21st, 2011, 07:20 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Very cool!!!

In the kitchen- The bulk food section of our grocery store doesn't have a way of measuring the tare weight, so I can't take my jars with me...But here's what I do. As soon as I get home from the store, I empty the plastic zip-top bulk food bags (provided by the store) into my glass storage jars, and keep the empty bags for my next trip. Then all I have to do is print a new label!

In the living room- Her living wall is really neat!

Oh, and those toothbrushes are a great idea! I'm surprised at how (relativity) cheap they are! I mean seriously, at $4 a piece (with shipping), that's not much different than conventional toothbrushes!...I wonder how long they last/need to be replaced...??

Ah here- The Environmental Toothbrush | About The Environmental Toothbrush

"To answer the main question, HOW LONG DOES IT LAST? - We test drove a toothbrush for over 8 months so yes they last (not that we suggest you do that)."

March 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My problem is where I live. I live in a smaller farmtown in southern california where the majority of people aren't concerned with being "green" The stores that sell things in bulk it's so dang overpriced it's insane. I can't afford that on a regular basis. The tiny commissary doesn't sell anything in bulk. I miss San Diego!! If only for all the shopping available to me! So I do try to buy things with as little packaging as I can such as a big tub of yogurt instead of the little individual ones and stuff like that. I do what I can for what is around me!! We also don't have any farmers markets here. They did have one that was one night a week for 4 weeks. My mom and I went to check it out and they had ONE booth with actual produce and all they had was lettuce. Only 3 more years and I can move from this place! LOL!!!

March 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
Oh, do I understand!!! I have lived here in what I call "Po-dunk" for 5 years. It's not quite as bad as what you describe. We do have some bulk food stores, run by the Amish/Mennonites. But not everything they sell is healthy, just bulk- great for spices, though!! I look forward to being back in a city with a farmer's market, produce stands, and a Whole Foods store!! You can order online from places like:
Azure Standard - Quality Bulk & Natural Foods
Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils
Bulk Herb Store - Herbs, herbal books, remedies, and articles
But, 3 years will go by in a flash, so just do what you can and don't worry! Being green is as much a mindset as a set of actions/rules. You can only do what's available to you!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search