Diapers

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm wondering if any other cloth diapering mamas can answer my questions, I know Heather will have some tips for me.

We use cloth, I am in the process of making some new ones as ours have been well used. But I'm in need of new diaper covers. We used Pro-Wrap and they are okay, but I was wondering if the Thirsties ones are better? Has anyone used those or reccommend a good cover?

Heather, you mentioned if you need to get disposibles that you get the natural ones because the regular ones are made with cholorine. I have a friend who won't use bleach on anything but uses the regular disposibles on her babe...can you tell me how they are made or why chlorine is used in them? I would love to pass that along to her.

Thanks!

March 26th, 2011, 06:45 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
I love little cloth-diapered bottoms! So sweet and soft!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

March 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there,

From what I've heard Thirsties covers are great! Those and the Bummis ones.

Most diapers these days don't have chlorine in them, but I think if I ever need some disposables I'll try the Earth's Best. I'm not big on the fact that Seventh Generation dyes their diapers brown just to "look more green".
March 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most of our covers are Thirsties, and I like them. The gussets are great!! The only thing I don't like about them is they are only 1ml PUL, which is not really durable enough for Kaiden bc of the way he moves, he spends a lot of time on his belly and the wear REALLY shows.

We have one Bummis cover, that one does not have gussets and I wish the elastic was tighter, but then again Kaiden has skinny little chicken legs. But, they are 2 layers of PUL and much more durable.
March 27th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was using cloth with my daughter I loved my thirsties covers!!

March 28th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I'm not big on the fact that Seventh Generation dyes their diapers brown just to "look more green".

That's ridiculous!!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

March 28th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I just hate to spend the money of them and be disappointed, to thanks for the feedback

Forgot to add, we also have a "chicken legger" and a "hefty boy" so trying to find a cover that works for all 3 we have in diapers is kind of a challenge.

March 28th, 2011, 12:17 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Hi Mari! Here is a link to one of the sights I often refer people to. It's got a lot of good info, in a cut and dry/easy to read format
Why choose cloth diapers? Real Diaper Association Diaper Facts.

Thirsties Duo Wraps and Bummis Super Brights covers are my favorites! I love their trim fit! They are both known for being very versatile covers, and fitting both chubby and skinny babies well ...BUT I would definitely agree that Thristies are NOT made as well as Bummis! Mine are already showing some pretty significant signs of wear after using them on just one child! which is a shame, because I love the multi-sizing feature (and the cute colors). At this point I'll be happy if they last me all through Conlan. I'm not a big fan of Bummis Super Whisper Wraps, as they just don't fit my babies as well...

So that being said, Bummis Super Brights are probably my favorite! They do have gussets, and fit very well! In fact if you are in need of any more NB size covers, I always recommend these because they have such a great (small) NB fit!(much smaller than Thristies XS, which were way too big on my NB's!).

But just to be clear- I still like Thristies, and one benefit to having some of both brands is that sometimes one will fit better then the other, then they switch depending on the size...

I hope that helps!

March 29th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Heather! I will try the website and look around. By the way, what are "gussets?" Are they the elastic around the legs?

March 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gussets are an extra piece of material with elastic, towards the inside of the diaper, so you have two rows of elasticized material instead of just one at the inner legs. Helps hold in messes better.
March 29th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I know that Thirsties covers are really popular - I have one, it is an older style one but still works really well - I love the leg gussets.

I personally prefer Bummis Super Brites over the Thirsties, not too sure why really, just do they also have the leg gussets. The Bummis Super Whisper Wraps are also really cute!

April 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Fiddlist's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second, or third or whatever, the Bummis with the gussets! We've been using them (different sizes) for 22 months now! The few other covers I had at the beginning didn't make the cut when it was time to size up, LOL.

Gross about the 7th gen diapers! Yuck.
April 7th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Welcome Fiddlist! I hope we see more of you on Green Mommies! We'd love to get to know you!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search