Compost

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone here compost? I really want to learn more about it.

I researched our local Green Up and since I live right in the city I get a discount on a compost bin, so it brings the cost of it down to $30. Good incentive.

My big thing I've been into lately is cutting down on our waste. We're doing really well with cutting back our paper towel use, and I am switching over to cloth wipes tomorrow (we already use cloth diapers). I feel like composting is the next step.

Can you keep things in a bin inside and just take it out at the end of the day? Or do you have to take things out right as you need to get rid of them?

Thanks for any info and advice!

Last edited by meghan.; April 19th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
April 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I keep mine in an old ice cream bucket or Tupperware bowl with a lid on my kitchen counter, and then just take it out to be emptied every other day, or as needed. It's pretty simple! You can put anything other then meat/dairy in it...from coffee grounds and filters to tea bags, fruit/veggie scraps, banana peels, etc... I've even added the last little bit of cooked beans and rice leftover from dinner(if it's not enough to save). If it is biodegradable, it gets composted!

April 21st, 2011, 04:14 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read that you can compost the shreds from a shredder.

Haven't tried anything yet because we're still waiting to move. But when we move, we definitely plan to compost so please point me to any good resources!

What do you do once you start the bin outside? Do you have to do something to it? I have only seen a special on TV about using worms, but don't know much else.

May 1st, 2011, 05:41 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
I just set mine up outside. I put the composter down on the grass where I wanted it and started throwing my scraps in! A layer of fresh (green) and then occasionally a layer of leaves or paper shreds, if they don't have alot of ink (brown). It's good to be home! (in FL)
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search