It's that time of year again...

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Flu season is coming fast, and I think it might have already hit us here. Addi and I both woke up yesterday morning with sore throats, congestion, and coughing, last night I went to bed and kept waking up with cold sweats and then would wake up an hour or so later burning up.

So today I am drinking a lot of Throat Coat tea with lemon and honey, Addi has had some Nature's Way Sambucus last night and this morning and I have been popping some cold-eeze lozenges. I am also going to make a big pot of chicken and dumplings this afternoon with probably a whole head of garlic. I make more broth than I need to when I make it because I like to take a cup and sip on it when I feel sick.

After we kick this (which hopefully won't be too long) we will continue to take our vitamins daily (multi for her and prenatal, garlic, and vitamin C for me) I think I will also continue to give her the Sambucus daily to help her immune system.

What are y'all planning on doing to keep the sickies away or fight them if they do break through your defenses?

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
You should also drink broth w/ cayenne pepper. I've heard vaseline (not vicks) on the bridge of the nose opens up airways (haven't tried it). Swallow garlic capsules or garlic cloves.

Echinacea with honey, ginger root and lemon juice is great too
Gargle salt water for the throat.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 5th, 2011, 07:51 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The salt water and broth we are doing, I have not tried the cayenne pepper but will try it if I can get Dh to go get some.

I have the echinacea, that is the main herb in the throat coat tea along with licorice root and some other things. I actually think I have some ginger root in my pantry so I will boil of some of that with it as well.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 17th, 2011, 10:22 PM
DaGreeksWife's Avatar ... and KB's mommy! <3
Send a message via AIM to DaGreeksWife
One of our standard go-to's is Garlic Lemonade! Seriously! If you are battling any kind of cold or sickness, feel like you're getting sick, or just feeling paranoid about getting sick.... it's amazing! It serves as an expectorant... the honey & lemon are amazing for soothing a sore throat.... and the garlic (which is antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal) packs a powerful punch as it stimulates the immune system!

Sunday night, my throat had this annoying tickle, and felt like it was starting to go. By Monday night, I had it full blown - horrible sinus headache, a sore throat, fever, full-body aches, chills... it was miserable. I drank half a jar (a quart) of GL on Monday, finished it off Tues, and started on another batch Tues afternoon. I also took a really loooong HOT shower (ok, so not very green - but very necessary at the time!). By Tues morning, my sore throat, fever & chills were gone, I had my voice back, had very little congestion, and my sinus headache was mostly gone! I took it easy that next day... and I felt great by Weds

Now, I am suddenly battling post-nasal drip (which makes my throat scratchy and me cough - ick!), and a stuffy-ish nose. I was all better for two days... so I'm thinking this is either allergies or something else. Idk. But it's soooo annoying! I need to get more lemons & garlic, so I can make so more lemonade!

(The recipe for the GL is on my blog, if you're interested.)

Some of our other go-to's are Elderberry extract... lots of garlic... echinacea... teas w/ honey - esp peppermint, lemon, throat coat (for sore throats), and chamomile (for fevers)... lots of vitamin C... extra probiotics.... etc... !

We also take a multi-vitamin every day (mine is a High Potency Multi-vitamin with Spirulina and Green Superfoods).. eat a very healthy, balanced diet (with as much whole foods as we can)... get plenty of Vit. D (which is easy to do right now, where we live!).... and take (eat foods with) probiotics.

My JM intro: Hi Everybody! ~ My Green Mommies intro: Journey2Green ~ My Blog: Homegrown-Love

[URL="http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f188-moms-girls/"]

Last edited by DaGreeksWife; September 17th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
September 18th, 2011, 06:00 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
Be careful with the cayenne! If you take too much and are not used to it, it can burn coming out the other end, if you know what I mean! Not a nice thought, but an important fact I learned the hard way!

I also highly recommend Oscillococcinum! A big name for a little homeopathic flu remedy that can be purchased at Walmart and most drug stores and grocery stores. It is amazing when you feel the flu (body aches, pains, fever, chills) coming on. I have had it stop the flu dead in its tracks with 3-4 doses! I am never without it in the house now!

If you need the garlic lemonade recipe, let me know. It is great for a scratchy, sore throat and congestion in the head and chest.

Sending healthy vibes your way!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

September 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I was so excited when I found the Oscillococcinum finally last year and very disappointed that it had 0 effect on me. I guess some bodies just react differently IDK but I was so looking forward to getting better

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
hmm.... sorry! That really stinks! I love throat coat tea too! It's one tea I enjoy without anything added!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

November 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Veteran
we use a product from Homeodel called flu remedy.. works wonders as a preventative and a cure...
December 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Regular
cut back on sugar! sugar depresses the immune system. :]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search