Blending fruits and veggies for a 6 month old

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Hello all. I've been blending up food(organic of course) for my baby girl. I have been using applies, sweet potato, mango etc. Do you have any recommendations for new fruits or veggies?
September 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
babies can eat almost anything the mother can eat, as long as it's ground up fine enough this is a great site for recipes & directions: Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Make your baby healthy homemade baby food with our easy baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more!

also, you can use ice cube trays to freeze foods. 1 cube = approx 1 oz.
September 18th, 2011, 12:01 PM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
Avocado is so healthy for babies and needs very little prep. I liked to stick to baked sweet potatoes, bananas and other soft foods that I could put in the diaper bag whole and just scrape with a spoon to serve.

Mommies Are Fun, Welcome to Just Mommies! I'm Marmee, host of this board.
It's so nice to have you on here! How old is your baby? We are all learning together and sharing on our journey towards green living. Any questions are welcome! It keeps the board moving! I hope to see you here often!

Drop a note on the Green Mommies Intro Board and tell us a little more about yourself. Welcome to the group!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

Last edited by marmeeof5; September 18th, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
September 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Welcome!

I love researching nutrition! We follow a very "tradition" food diet, similar to that of Dr Weston A. Price & Nourishing Traditions, and/or the Paleo diet.

It's not recommended to give babies under 1 year old grains in any form, and some believe it best to avoid gluten until age two. This is a relatively new way of thinking in our day in age, as most people are programed to *start* babies on grains, then fruit/veggies, then meat...but really they've got it all backwards. Introducing grains too soon can be damaging to the digestive track, and cause allergies later on.

Most fruit/veggies are safe. Some of the more acidic types (strawberries, pineapple, etc..) may cause rash or irritation in the diaper area, but if so, just back off for a bit, and they will probably be fine in a few months. Meat and bone broths are wonderful sources of minerals. Even if the baby doesn't have the teeth to chew meat properly, they can still gnaw on it and get much of the beneficial fat/vit/minerals.

I start my LO's on solids later than most- between 9-12 months, as they show signs of being ready. Including:
*Sitting up unattended. This shows they have strength in their neck/torso, necessary for swallowing thicker foods so they don't choke.
*Teeth, or at least teething. When a baby starts teething the saliva changes in their stomach and is better able to digest food.
*Grabbing at food, and mimicking parents chewing. showing other general signs of being interested.
*Developed Pincer Grasp. Young infants are unable to pick up small items and put them in their mouth. This is a natures way of protecting them from chocking themselves.
*If the baby can swallow foods without thrusting them out. Though this is something that requires a bit of practice, in general, If you give your baby a bit of food and it comes right back out, they are not ready.

**NOTE: You know your baby better than anyone else! Follow your heart. If you think they need food sooner, try it. Generally it's best to wait until 6 months old, as that is when their digestive track is mature enough to handle something more substantial than milk, but from there, follow your individual child's needs!

Some of the foods we introduce first include: Avocado, banana, sweet potato, full-fat yogurt (if they tolerate dairy well), apple sauce, cooked/pureed winter squash, boiled egg yolks (no whites til a year), and broth. From there, as said before, most fruits/veggies and meats are fine. Just focus on whole, minimally processed foods ;-)

The cookbook Feeding The Whole Family is a great resource!

Tags
homemade food

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search