Got Chickens?

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2011, 06:40 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
I am again contemplating the idea of getting some hens to give us eggs. I'm thinking if I do the research and get the coop built now, I can buy the chicks next spring when the feed store has chick days. With planning a wedding, now is not the time to jump in with wings flapping! Who else has hens? Any pointers or resources you would recommend? I do know several families in the area with backyard chickens whom I plan to learn from.
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

September 19th, 2011, 07:30 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want chickens so bad! Again, I can't right now since we are in on base housing I hope at our next duty station to be able to find a house with some land off base since we will be there for so long.

homesteadrevival.blogspot.com is a blog I read and she had some pretty good advice for raising chickens on there!

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Can't have chickens here Depending on the altitude we're moving too I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to have chickens...

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

September 20th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
We have chickens

my advise ~ do NOT get a straight run. go to a reputible hatchery and get sexed chicks.

also, backyardchickensdotcom is a great resource.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

September 20th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Regular
i have hens! theyre fun. i dont really have any pointers aside from definitely let them free roam often. after eating my organically raised and fed and free-range chicken eggs for years, i tried store-bought eggs. they tasted..bad.

also, i dont know if rats are a problem in your area, but protect your chickens from them.. dont let them have any chance of getting in the coop or cage and if they free-roam, try to exterminate the rats.. chickens get salmonella from infected rat feces.
September 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
i havent seen any rats but how would i get rid of them if i did?

my ladies are half free roaming - they have a huge outside run (kinda like their own yard) to go into cause our yard is not fenced and we dont want them to get harmed. they go in and out of the coop everyday. (dh will be making them their own special door when he returns from florida from the meetings. until then i let them in/out as much as possible). ours are organic also and they really do taste sooo much better!

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

September 21st, 2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the tips! After I get past this wedding, I'll kick it into gear and start planning for spring!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

September 27th, 2011, 11:41 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Hopefully when we move we will have property enough for chickens and a few cows!

October 10th, 2011, 10:31 AM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have 26 chickens! lol We live on 5 acres, and our "yard" is about an acre that they free range on, plus about 1/2 an acre of woods that they love to hang out in. Ours are just starting to lay (we just moved here in March). We had one that was laying beautiful large blue/green eggs every day, but once the days shortened she stopped completely. We have one that is laying small brown eggs every day to two days. Just a warning, though...YOUR eggs will taste completely different than store bought eggs. They have a much stronger flavor, and for some people (ME) it takes some getting used to. Once you do, though, you won't be able to go back to store bought. lol

They are SO much fun! All of them have names, and they all have their own personalities. I love going out to talk to them, and just watch them out in the yard.

I also suggest not getting straight run (not sexed, random pick) from a feed store, but instead ordering all females from a hatchery. We got straight run the first time, and ended up with all males and only one female! Most of the time, with straight run, you are more likely to get males, unfortunately. I get my chicks from Meyer Hatchery. They are fairly inexpensive, but their shipping prices are confusing.

Backyardchickens dot com is a VERY good resource, and their forum is very helpful. They have a lot of people that know a lot about chickens, so if you ever run into trouble or need a question asked, there is always someone there that will have an answer for you. Some people are rude and judgemental, but you will run into that type anywhere. Most of them, though, are nice and have no problem answering even the silliest questions. I know I have asked my fair share. LOL I had never been around chickens before my own, so I had no clue about a lot of things. hehe

Good luck! You'll love having chickens!

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
October 23rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the info Kara! I babysat for a woman the other night that just got chickens and I spent the evening reading her book about building chicken coops. I'd really like to let them roam free during the day, but don't know if cats would be a problem. I want to avoid losing all the grass in a pen if that's all they have to peck around in. I'm still researching, between wedding planning and life!

October 25th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Well, we definitely know that our husky(ies) will not be "used to chickens" to where they can roam on the land as Storm just ate one the other day (our friends are dog sitting and they have chickens).

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

October 26th, 2011, 05:34 AM
ooooo.... but you can't blame a dog for behaving like a dog! The good thing about chickens is that they are inexpensive to start with. The bad part is waiting for them to get big/mature enough to give eggs. hahaha I just remembered my father-in-law always called eggs "hen-fruit". That was a good memory!

October 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
LOL cute hen-fruit!!! LOL!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search