Glass bottles/jars/ware

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By somo_chickenlady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2012, 11:41 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm slowly switching over to glass bottle for all my homemade health and beauty and cleaning supplies. Also (but even slower) switching all my plastic tubs in the kitchen (for leftovers) to glass; I've already used canning jars for storage and canning, but have just started using them for leftovers and such.

Something I never thought about before was the fact that a good pure essential oil will pull toxins from plastic, so anything using them shouldn't be stored in plastic. It had never crossed my mind until I thought about what I use essential oils for, for health and wellness and part of their job is to help cleanse my body of what ever illness I an treating or rid my body of toxins and heavy metals, help build my cell growth and so on and yet it never occurred to me that they'd pull toxins from the plastics it was stored in. So I'm starting to make the switch after learning that.

But on top of that it has really helped push me towards using glass in other ways. I LOVE the lids that have been adapted to put straws in them for the canning jars, what a neat idea for a drink on the go!! or the lids for drinking warm drinks for canning jars! (let me know if you've never seen them, I can dig up a link they are awesome!) I already use glass jars for food storage like I said above, my dry goods pantry is 85% switched over, which is neat because lots of people comment on it and that makes me feel good! lol

Have any of use found your selves switching over to using more glass as you've become more green? Or is it just me. lol

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 14th, 2012, 12:57 AM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use almost all glass for everything. We have 6 plastic bowls, mostly for DS for breakfast, but the rest of our dishes are glass, including our drinking glasses. They are working glasses" that I got at Crate and Barrel, and I LOVE them! We have an extensive supply of Pyrex storage containersthat we have collected over the years. We rarely ever use our rubbermaid stuff anymore but we still keep it on hand. I would still like to get more Pyrex.
roving_gypsy likes this.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
May 16th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I LOVE canning jars, you can do so much with them!!! I store grease/fat in them in the fridge, we use them for drinking etc...

We have some plastic items, but mostly our dishes are glass or ceramic.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been saving some of my store bought Kombucha bottles, (the glass ones) and I totally just found a new use out of them. I'm using them to replace our plastic water bottles that need replacing. of course they don't have straws but they have a lid and they can be thrown into a bag so that totally works!

I've also been saving my bragg salad dressing bottles and we've started reusing them for our own salad dressing.

There are some other glass salad dressing bottles that I have that I want to find pumps/spray pumps for for cleaning and soap stuffs, but I have yet to figure out where to buy the pumps or how to modify the lids to accept other pumps.

I just remembered about all of those because I pulled out my stash of clean ones under the kitchen sink so that I could soak them all to get the labels off today, along with a number of pop top beer bottles from last weekend. We re-use commercial pop-top beer bottles for bottling the beer we home brew, it keeps us from having to buy brand new pop-top bottles.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search