Getting out of the Health and Beauty Aisle

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By somo_chickenlady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Getting out of the Heath and Beauty aisle, who makes their own health and beauty items?

*edited for spelling, for crying out loud my spelling has been horrid lately, sorry.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

Last edited by roving_gypsy; May 17th, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
May 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I do not, but am very interested in it. Do you? How do you do it?

Lately I've rarely used makeup!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 16th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I am slowly getting out of it. I rarely wear make up, so I'm not in the make up isles very often. I have started using apple cider vinegar diluted for a facial toner, mine is just about a 1:3 ratio with water, it does awesome and the smell goes away quickly.

I haven't tried it yet but I was considering using pure coconut oil as a moisturizer if needed.

I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner in my hair, I put it in after dinner and leave it in as long as I can stand it, then wash my hair in the shower.

I'm trying to find a decent shampoo, I've heard of a few different ones but have yet to commit to anything.

I do make my own scrubs, which are super easy to make; a coffee scrub for my face and body, and a salt and sugar lavender scrub for my body.

As soon as I get everything I'm going to try my hand at making some lip balm, and I've heard of a few ways to naturally tint it, but I really don't require a tint.

I make my deodorant that works wonders!

I was thinking of making a shaving cream but I've found that since I've been more hydrated I don't need a shaving cream, and I just follow it up with coconut oil after I shave. ... that is when I do shave, which is typically only the summer months that hubby is home. lol I try not to shave in the same shower that I use a scrub, because it clogs up the razors (the oils get stuck between the spaces of the razors).

I rarely using anything in my hair after washing it. But I want to try a few things somewhere (maybe even here?) I found a smoothing recipe. I'll have to look for it.

I don't know, I'm probably missing a few things.

May 17th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Oh! I thought you were talking makeup! You and I do a lot of the same things below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roving_gypsy View Post
I am slowly getting out of it. I rarely wear make up, so I'm not in the make up isles very often. I have started using apple cider vinegar diluted for a facial toner, mine is just about a 1:3 ratio with water, it does awesome and the smell goes away quickly.

I haven't tried it yet but I was considering using pure coconut oil as a moisturizer if needed.
You should go read my first experiment on the natural health board, you will seriously laugh It's about ACV on my face.

Right now it's a toss up. I use witch hazel to wash my face or I'll wet a cotton ball and put a drop or two of tea tree oil on it. My lips get irritated if the TTO touches my lips though so I only use that if I get a bad blemish.

And I LOVE coconut oil as a moisturizer, you should try it, it's great!!!

Quote:
I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner in my hair, I put it in after dinner and leave it in as long as I can stand it, then wash my hair in the shower.
Does it leave your hair oily? Have you heard of the No Poo movement? It's about not using any shampoo but ACV and I think coconut oil as well. Oh, and baking soda I think. I'll have to post a link..

Quote:
I do make my own scrubs, which are super easy to make; a coffee scrub for my face and body, and a salt and sugar lavender scrub for my body.
I do this with sugar or salt, whatever I have on hand. I'll mix it w/ oil and some essential oils!

Quote:
As soon as I get everything I'm going to try my hand at making some lip balm, and I've heard of a few ways to naturally tint it, but I really don't require a tint.
Let me know how that works!

Quote:
I make my deodorant that works wonders!
How do you make yours? I made my own but one of the ingredients (I'll have to find the post on the natural health board to remember) irritated me and I need to remake it with alum I believe.
Quote:
I was thinking of making a shaving cream but I've found that since I've been more hydrated I don't need a shaving cream, and I just follow it up with coconut oil after I shave. ... that is when I do shave, which is typically only the summer months that hubby is home. lol I try not to shave in the same shower that I use a scrub, because it clogs up the razors (the oils get stuck between the spaces of the razors).
That's funny you say that about water and shaving cream because I noticed the other day that I didn't really need to use anything! I always just used soap for shaving though.

Quote:
I rarely using anything in my hair after washing it. But I want to try a few things somewhere (maybe even here?) I found a smoothing recipe. I'll have to look for it.
Let me know what you find/try. I'll use gel in my hair on rare occasions and just pin it back to where it's all scrunchy looking.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Sorry I wasn't very specific, anything from makeup to deodorant I guess is what I consider health and beauty.

I think I ran across that post about the ACV, that was funny. Have you tried Frankincense for your blemishes on your face? If it's 100% pure, I'd suggest trying it; as I'm an IPC for doTERRA oils I'd suggest them just because I know their oils are of the highest quality but if you use another brand of oil that has a frankincense that can be put on neat then try it. Frankincense is awesome for skin issues. I used to use witch hazel as well, but have liked the results of ACV better since I've started using it.

I haven't heard of the No Poo movement before, but it sounds interesting. The Coconut oil does not leave the hair oily if you wash it out well, but it does leave it looking much healthier, and the scalp feeling great.

The deoderant I make is baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil, with melaleuca (or better known as tea tree oil) essential oil, and an essential oil known with my oil company as Slim and Sassy, it is a blend of a few different citrus oils plus some others. I only put in a few drops of each so it's barely there smell wise. The baking soda can irritate, some say it's the body detoxing, some say it's just an irritation, I don't know. I used a 1/2 cup of each the baking soda and cornstarch and it seems to do fine for me, I haven't had any irritation.

I'll let you know about the other things as I get to them. I'll have to figure out where I saw the hair smoothing stuff.

May 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Check this out for a translucent face powder.

Make Your Own Mineral Veil « Chisel Beauty

May 27th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I rarely wear make-up. However I still buy other health & beauty products. I'd love to know how to make my own or use natural alternatives, but somehow I can never find the time to learn. I did once have an aloe vera plant and used to use the juices on my skin but my mum planted it out in the garden and it died.

June 10th, 2012, 11:49 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I recently made my own face powder with corn starch, baby powder and a small amount of my existing tinted powder for some color. So far it has worked well. Time will tell, though, b/c my skin is UBER sensitive and I break out easily. So far, so good, though!

I tried the no-poo, acv thing and my hair HATED IT! I stick to silicone free versions of V05 b/c my hair just does the best on it, and trust me I've tried a TON!!
Earthy.Mama likes this.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
June 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Veteran
I'm not much into beauty products so I've never made my own. (And the only time I've ever put on make up was for special occasions.)

I'd be interested in your recipe for deodorant. I've tried some brands from health stores but none have worked well for me and I've got some stares at work.

I did actually try to use a shampoo recipe that called for olive oil and my hair was a brick for the entire day
June 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Oh no on the brick hair!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

June 14th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureLovinMama View Post
Oh no on the brick hair!
Lol yeah, if my hair was long enough I could have made it into a pretty cool sculpture! The best part about the entire thing was that I had to go out with friends that night.

Turns out, I was supposed to dilute it with water. I still haven't tried it again because I'm still afraid of repeating what happened last time XD. But I've never been good at making anything. (And you know it's bad when I couldn't manage to mix water and olive oil!) But we'll see if I can handle corn starch and baking soda.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search