Upcycling?

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By gardenbelle
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 2 Post By gardenbelle

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Do you ever "upcycle" old clothing, material etc to make new items?

I wish I knew how to sew because I find this so cool. A lady I used to know on here made little denim bags from old jeans and they were amazing. I'm bound to have some clothes that no longer fit me after baby has been born and would love to make them into something, whether baby clothes, cloths, cushion covers etc, or things to sell. But I've tried to learn to sew on SO many occasions and failed!

July 24th, 2012, 07:28 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really wish I could sew to upcycle items myself! Especially with wool diaper covers. And cute dresses for little girls made from parent's used clothing. Though I do repurpose items more than ever rather than just throwing them in the recycling bin. Pinterest is teeming with ideas!

July 25th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Now I'm a SAHM I should really spend some time on Pinterest. People seem to have been raving about it for months but while I was working FT I just didn't have the time.

July 25th, 2012, 10:28 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just perusing through this board and I had to respond to this thread (I'll write an intro later, I promise!).
I love upcycling, it's quite an addiction for me, it's so satisfying and fun!
I upcycle my MIL's old yoga clothes into PJs for my daughter. It's all either pima cotton or bamboo so it's super soft. Not to mention free!
I also make dresses and other clothes for her from old clothes and dresses of mine.
Out of old wool sweaters, I make diaper covers, indoor balls, stuffed animals and flowers for head bands.
Old T-shirts become rags and old sheets are kept for reinforcement fabric or for bias tape.
Old towels, I make into rags and mop heads.
I upcycle way more than this, but these are some of the things off the top of my head.
Carwen*Angel and SouleBaby like this.
July 26th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Well done you! So jealous of your patience and skills in being able to do all that!
gardenbelle likes this.

July 27th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Thank you! It's quite addicting. The previous posters are right: Pinterest is teeming with great upcycling ideas!
July 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Just another question in case anyone re-checks this thread: is there any upcycling that can be done that DOESN'T involve sewing - since I'm such a shocking seamstress? Anything that can be done simply with glue/staples etc or non-fabric related?

July 27th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Oh totally! So many things that might end up in your garbage can be recycled. Everything I throw away, I ask myself if I might be able to use it for a kids craft. Tops of styrofoam take out boxes can be turned into stamps, wine corks have SO many different craft afterlives (type in wine cork to Pinterest and you'll see what I mean), glass jars can be reused to keep just about anything and look great once you peel the label off. Any stained and ripped T-shirts that can't be donated can be cut up into rags.
The possibilities are endless but by far, my favorite upcycling act is to start a compost pile - what is better then taking stuff that usually ends up in your garbage and turning it into awesome soil?
Carwen*Angel and SouleBaby like this.
July 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Yes, we compost too.

Some nice ideas there, I will definitely look up corks on Pinterest!

July 29th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Veteran
If I had the skills I would. I am a major tom boy and the one time I tried to learn to sew, it was a disastor and I did not enjoy it at all. It looks cool and I wish I had a friend with those skills XD.
June 22nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran
I cut up old clothes (like tee shirts and other cotton-like items) into cleaning rags.
July 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLbaby View Post
I cut up old clothes (like tee shirts and other cotton-like items) into cleaning rags.
me too. I keep the ones that I don't think other people can wear but if they are something that is sellable I give to good will. I have a handful of bags downstairs that iv been keeping. im hoping to make other projects with them but im not sure what yet.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

August 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
Yes. Most of ds's clothes are upcycled, but I'm relatively new to sewing so I have trouble getting out of the "go the the fabric store and put three yards of fabric, matching thread, and all these cute notions on the credit card" mentality.

I kind of hit a wall when he got too bit for me to cut a pair of his pants out one pair of adult pants.
I was about ready to give up and just hit the buck a bag sale at the thrift store when a mother of 7 who had been longingly eyeing ds's and my handmade clothing offered me a few dollars to help with her mending.

It's worked out very well for us, because she has the skills I lack but no time to apply them and I'm learning how to turn those buck a bag sale items into creative, unique, and exciting clothes for all of our kids so I don't even need the money for the fabric store any more.

Well, maybe for a few special things to wear to festivals or to try to sell on Etsy or some patterns that fit my chubby belly and her disabled kid's body a bit better than what the sweatshops are churning out.....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search