US Olympians Going For Green

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Interesting article!

U.S. Olympians Going for Green : Living Green Magazine

This can only be a good thing, especially with athletes being significant role models...BUT at the same time, it's not going to change the fact that hundreds, thousands of people will be travelling to London from overseas right about now which is going to be some carbon footprint. What do you think?

July 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Veteran
It's definently better than doing nothing and maybe it will raise more awareness of climate change and convince some of the deniers. I think its great when a well known and liked person goes green because people do like to emulate them. The sad thing is though, is that it might be too late to stop the consequences of climate change.

Well a little hope, they are working on solar powered planes and the first one might be functional within the next decade. Thing is though, is that planes won't all be solar powered over night, it could take another two decades by the time that happends. (if it does at all) Also, they are very small and currently would not have enough space for the typical commercial flight.
July 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I did not know that....very interesting. Perhaps commercial flights will be very different in the future. It wouldn't be a bad thing to "ration" flights or to up the cost and prevent so much "frequent flying".

I agree, it may be too late to stop climate change, but that's no reason not to take every action possible in case it isn't, or in case damage can be limited to some extent.

August 1st, 2012, 12:45 AM
Veteran
Youtube has some very interesting videos on solar powered planes. They even have competitions to see who can create the plane with the lowest carbon foot print. And I think some prototypes are now out for planes that fly on a clean energy source.

Back to the Olympics. Here is an interesting article from Scientific America about how greening the Olympics may mean cleaner air.
August 1st, 2012, 04:06 AM
I don't see the link hun?

August 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran
Oh lol I totally forgot to paste it!

Greener Olympics Mean Cleaner Air: Scientific American Podcast
August 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is great that they are doing something to help. Of course the only way to have no carbon footprint from the olympics would be to not have the olympics, and I don't think that is going to happen any time soon (nor do I want it to, personally). I think the best thing would be if every country followed in the USOC's foot steps and tried to lower their foot print, as well as raise awareness in the process.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search