Organic mattresses vs an older conventionally made mattresses

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2012, 06:25 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I need to get a new mattress for my son that is a queen size because we end up needing to sleep with him half the nights and my husband and my backs are killing us being wedged into his twin bed.
I really don't feel comfortable having him sleep on any new conventionally made mattresses because of the off-gassing from the fire retardants, but the cost of an organic mattress is SO much more than a conventionally made one. So...we are trying to figure out if we should buy a new organic mattress or put our old guest room mattress in his room and buy a new conventionally made mattress for our guest room. One of my friends told me she heard that the foam breakdown in old mattresses can be equally bad to breathe in but I haven't found any information about how old a mattress has to be before the foam begins to break down. Does anyone have any light to shed on this? I appreciate any info!
August 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I really don't know sorry. I hope someone has some info for you.

August 6th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran
Here is are two articles that I found that may help.

Prevent Toxic Off-Gassing when You Can’t Afford to Buy an Organic Mattress

Best Baby Crib Mattress (I know it says baby but it still has very good information for anyone. The author explains how some organic labeled mattresses may not be non toxic because the organic label isn't really defined and simply adding one organic ingredient allows them to put on that label.)

The author did make a few arrogant statements such as saying that he or she doesn't believe that anyone is acutally allergic to wool just the synthetic chemicals. Anyone can be allergic to anything and wool allergies existed before synthetic chemicals were applied to it. I also do not know what this person means when they say that they "studied". Did he or she actually do a real scientific analysis, read up on peer reviewed studies, or simply google search and read the first result, or even youtube comments? (Yes I have seen people site youtube comments as facts) So I don't know how seriously you want to take this.

And even though this might not apply to flame retardants, NASA released a list of the top 50 air cleaning plants. Right now I can't find a list of all 50 plants but here is a website with the top ten. If you have pets, make sure that the plant you want isn't toxic to them.

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/...ifying-plants/

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...ants/clean.htm (Specific pollutants)

Spider plants, while not in the top ten also help remove air toxins. They are also very easy to care for.

And I know how you feel about things being expensive. I tried to find non toxic baby furniture, but any of the ones I found were over $1,000. I had to settle for a cheaper one (though still listed as made in the USA) Currently, its airing out in the baby room with the fan on and the windows open. I also plan to put a spider plant in that room to help eat up the formalahyde that it is off gassing. My baby is due at the end of August and he will be sleeping in our room for the first few months so hopefully that is enough time!

I would also check out the claim about safety of the foam mattress breaking down. If it was made by someone selling organic mattress I'd be very wary! Scare tactics are unfortunantly common when you want to buy healthier items and some are way over exaggerated. But as moms they sure make us paranoid! The CDC or green guard might be a good choice. Green Guard is a third party organization that I don't think will make money off the product that you buy.

I do hate that it is required by law that all mattress have to have flame retardants. I understand that mattresses to burn quickly but I believe that we should have the choice to take that risk. Neither me or my husband smoke nor do we currently have lamps by our beds. If one of our ceiling fan lights suddenly blew up, we probably wouldn't be in bed and if we were, we'd jump out quickly. Also, if a fire starts and it's near our bed I think we would have other problems! I also don't like how flame retardants that may be very dangerous for us are allowed in the mattresses. They should all be under green guard certification.

Also, I find it strange that car seats have to have flame retardants. If the back of the car is on fire, won't that mean that the gas tank is on fire?

Last edited by Rinchan; August 8th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search