Green changes you want to make in your life?

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Veteran
What is the next green change you want to make? (Or the one you are currently making?)

My husband and I are slowly switching to LED lights. We bought our house in February and we are letting the incandescents burn out first. We replaced two and it was more exciting than it should have been.

I want to get solar panels but with the baby coming around the corner and still having so much to buy they might have to wait a while. I also want a hybrid but I don't have the money

I am going to have to compromise a little with cloth diapering. If I want a baby sitter, no one in my family or my husband's family will deal with cloth diapering so I will have to use the disposable for them. Luckily, after volunteering at the animal shelter and having dogs jump all over me with yucky paws, my husband is ok with me washing the diapers in the washing machine XD It's crazy though, I got so many disposable diapers at both of my baby showers!

This is kind of a strange one. But I'm starting to buy more expensive products that will last years as opposed to cheap products that will quickly end up in a land fill. I know that not all expensive products are great and all cheap products are crap so I'm trying to be careful with what I choose.

Also glass products! Lol I hate plastics. I'm not going to toss all my current plastic products because that would just be a waste. But when I go to buy a new appliance, I do my best to choose glass over plastic.

There are so many changes that I want to make but I have to keep telling myself that I can't do it over night.
August 8th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
It sounds like you're doing great to me!

I would really love to plant and grow some of our own food. However there is not space in the garden at present. We were talking about things we would do if we had a big windfall last week and knocking down the garage which we don't use, would be one of them. This would make room for a little plot. I believe there are some allotments in the local town so I may look into that in the meantime.

I have wanted to go car-free for a long time, but at the moment car-free is not an option. My son is autistic and his major symptom is intense fears and anxieties. At present he will not go on buses or trains, and he has appointments we have to keep. We do however walk short distances rather than using the car, and group together journeys where we can to conserve petrol usage.

My DP always wanted to get solar panels on his houseboat, but never had enough money to do it. He's moved in with us now and will be putting the boat up for sale when he has done cleaning, tidying and repainting it. But the idea is still there, for the house instead of the boat.

I want to learn about making my own natural cleaning products while I'm a SAHM this year, too.

I think that's it for now!

August 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I'd love to do solar panels! The DH and I would also like to set up a rainwater system and work on composting for a number of reasons, but mainly to cut down on waste and to create new soil for our garden!

In a dream world, we'd also do a wind turbine in our yard...we feel like we have enough wind on a regular basis to power the neighborhood lol
August 8th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Veteran
I wish we had a good public transport system in our city! Ours is very limited and is not safe to use.

I just bought a diva cup and some cloth pads. I feel so accomplished lol. I didn't know that these existed until I was three months pregnant so I've been holding off on buying them. But I figured that since I'm due at the end of the month that I should get on it. It's weird, because I can't wait from my period to return so I can try them out. I never thought that would ever cross my mind! I've always had anxiety about tampons ever since the first time I used one at 14 years old. I read about the toxic shock syndrom on the box and I'd seriously be constantly aware of how long I had one in! I wish I had known about the alternative sooner.

Last edited by Rinchan; August 8th, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
August 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm let's see, this list could get long lol.

Green things I want to do but haven't done yet.

1. Plant my garden (can be done in Hawaii)
2. Mama cloth/diva cup (can be done in Hawaii)
3. Have a small farm and raise my own milk cow, goats, chickens, and pigs (will have to wait until Dh gets out of the Army.
4. Raise bees (will have to wait until Dh gets out of the Army).
5. Stop buying processed foods altogether and cook everything from scratch (work in progress).

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I'd love to sort out a rainwater butt too. Good idea.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search