How to go green, pet style!

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 10:49 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This article has some great tips and links, so I figured I would share it for those of you with pets or thinking of getting pets in the future.

Are there any tips in the article that you disagree with?
Do you do anything that they suggest?
Is there anything in that article that you didn't know about and will start doing now?

How to Go Green: Pets : TreeHugger

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
October 1st, 2012, 09:58 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
1. Casper is a shelter dog. Bob & Tink (cats) were strays. Socko (guinea pig) was a breeder piggie and homeless due to her age. Chalkie (Rabbit) was the last bunny being sold as a feeder rabbit at the local farm store. I know people eat rabbit, but I couldnt believe a store sold them for that, it broke my heart and im thankful he was the only one there otherwise id have a bunch of bunnies right now.

Fluff is the only pet that we bought, hes a registered mutt, 1/2 biscon 1/2 cocker spaniel. He was bought for Casper who grew up with a spaniel named Smokie who passed. Casper wouldnt eat, or play after Smokie's passing so we found Fluff who looked just like Smokie and Casper became whole once more. I know it sounds crazy... but it happened.

2. My cats are fixed but not my dogs.... need money. However the dogs do not roam, they are fenced in when outside. Bob the cat is the only roamer here.

3. Bob roams and I cant stop him, ive tried and he escapes, so now I just let him out every morning. He's tagged and stays in the yard. He catches mice and moles outside, doesnt mess with birds and is afraid of squirrels.

4. I check labels on pet food and get the best I can afford. My dogs eat table scraps but I know what is dangerous to them. Socko & Chalkie get fresh veggies daily. The cats eat a mix of dry and soft food and bob will go ninja for corn on the cob.

5. My dogs dont go outside the fence and dh cleans that up when time to mow.

6. dogs prefer sticks to chew on and i cant keep a real toy for them, they shred it. the cats play with strings and milk tops or some random round thing that hits the floor.

7. vinegar and baking soda cleans everything. we use baby oatmeal bath on Casper who has allergies.

8. Once a pet enters this house, he's here for the long haul. hence why i have so many... we even raised 9 soft shell turtles from eggs. we found homes for all but one and he's happily living here with us.

9. i dont melt ice...

10. i refuse to microchip, when the world ends, they arnt going to be able to find me.

11. no.

12. i save the livers and gizzrds out of chicken or turkey breasts as well as broths and cook it up for the cats and dogs withbrown rice when i have no pet food left.

13. tried growing cat nip, bob ate it all at one sitting. he was wired for hours

14. we prevent

15. my pets know we're poor

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Last edited by The Lesha; October 1st, 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search