Home Made Green

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By somo_chickenlady
  • 1 Post By The Lesha
  • 1 Post By somo_chickenlady
  • 1 Post By 2Corinthians10:4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 09:37 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Let's share some recipes, cleaning products, herbal recipes, jewlery, clothing, paper products...

Anything goes, as long as you made it and have tried it. Share your recipe here and add a pic of your own if you'd like.

If we get enough of a response, we'll make it sticky.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
October 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Laundry soap

1 bar Fels Naptha soap (or you can you Zote or Ivory)
1c Borax
1c Washing Soda
(all items are found in the laundry aisle at our Walmart and grocery store)

To make, grate entire bar of soap, then mix together. Use 1 tablespoon per load.

I found that it is easier to grate the soap if you open the package and let it sit out in the air for a week. I also found that it worked better to put everything into a food processor and process it down to a finer powder, more like store bought powdered laundry detergent.

All purpose cleaner

1/2 vinegar
1/2 water
Big squirt of liquid dish soap, any brand
After combining, shake to mix.

Dishwasher soap

1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup kosher salt
Mix ingredients together

Fill rinse agent compartment with white vinegar.

(We have well water that is VERY hard, and I found that this didn't work very well. Our dishes were constantly covered in a thick white film. Someone suggested putting up to 3 drops of liquid dish soap like Dawn in with the powder and the dishes wouldn't come out with a film, but I never tried that.)

Translucent Face Powder

1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baby powder (talc)
+/- 1/8 teaspoon powder foundation (optional for color)

I make and use this, and I love it! I put a lot more foundation in it b/c I use it as a foundation, and my husband said I look like a ghost when I made it according to the recipe. LOL

Soap scum/hard water stain remover

1/2 WARM vinegar
1/2 Blue Dawn dish soap
Mix together and shake to combine.

This works WONDERFULLY!

I will come back if I can think of more.
The Lesha and magz88 like this.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
October 3rd, 2012, 04:35 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Fab idea Lesha - and Kara, excellent stuff! Just what I'm interested in right now!

I'll have a think what I can contribute. Certainly a bunch of vegetarian recipes. And maybe a few toys Daniel and I have made out of junk.

October 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
1 bar Fels Naptha soap (or you can you Zote or Ivory)
1c Borax
1c Washing Soda
(all items are found in the laundry aisle at our Walmart and grocery store)

To make, grate entire bar of soap, then mix together. Use 1 tablespoon per load.

I found that it is easier to grate the soap if you open the package and let it sit out in the air for a week. I also found that it worked better to put everything into a food processor and process it down to a finer powder, more like store bought powdered laundry detergent.

I use this recipes cept I add baking soda as well and some essential oil for frangrance. great tip about grating the soap, ill have to try that!

All purpose cleaner

1/2 vinegar
1/2 water
Big squirt of liquid dish soap, any brand
After combining, shake to mix.

do this too cept with essential oil if i have it for fragrance. ive also made it with orange oil that i made myself.

Dishwasher soap

1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup kosher salt
Mix ingredients together

Fill rinse agent compartment with white vinegar.

(We have well water that is VERY hard, and I found that this didn't work very well. Our dishes were constantly covered in a thick white film. Someone suggested putting up to 3 drops of liquid dish soap like Dawn in with the powder and the dishes wouldn't come out with a film, but I never tried that.)

DITTO I cant find a dishwasher recipe that works never tried the dawn though. Id think it would make the powder cake up or do you mean put it in when you put in the washer?

Translucent Face Powder

1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baby powder (talc)
+/- 1/8 teaspoon powder foundation (optional for color)

I make and use this, and I love it! I put a lot more foundation in it b/c I use it as a foundation, and my husband said I look like a ghost when I made it according to the recipe. LOL

never tried this but it sounds awesome!

Soap scum/hard water stain remover

1/2 WARM vinegar
1/2 Blue Dawn dish soap
Mix together and shake to combine.

This works WONDERFULLY!

yep do this one too!!

ill be back to add some soon
Carwen*Angel likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
October 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the dishwasher recipe, it said to put up to 3 drops of dish soap in when you start the machine. They showed pictures without using the dish soap and the dishes were covered in film, and the pictures after using the dish soap were crystal clear. They said to NOT use more than 3 drops, otherwise it will overflow with suds. LOL
The Lesha likes this.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
October 4th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Soup recipes! And to make them even more wholesome, how about buying your veg at a local farm or independent grocer's? Or organic? And remember to compost your peelings.

In all of the following the veg need boiling up all together with seasoning etc. Then leave to cool down some. Then put the veg in the blender. Then top up to maximum fill line with water from the pan (it will contain some of the nutrients). Then whizz up, and it's ok to reheat 1-2 times, and will be ok for a few days - more if you freeze it.

These are all tried & tested and make 3-4 servings.

Spicy parsnip

2-3 large parsnips, 1-2 potatoes/1 swede, black pepper to taste (go on the heavy side), salt

Spinach & garlic

Whole bag spinach, 1-2 cloves of garlic, 1-2 potatoes/1 swede, salt

Carrot & coriander

2-3 large carrots, 1-2 potatoes/1 swede, 2 tsp dried coriander leaf, handful fresh coriander leaves, salt and pepper to taste (keep a few coriander leaves back to float on top)

For this next one, I'd fry up the veg and seasoning with some rich olive oil. Leave to cool some, then put in blender and fill to max fill line with fresh water (boiled and cooled some if eating straight away, cold is fine if putting away for later).

Tomato & basil

2 beef tomatoes, 5-6 standard size tomatoes preferably ON the vine (or some small on the vine tomatoes plus around 3-4 normal standard size tomatoes), 6-8 chopped sundried tomatoes (in the absence of these a squirt of tomato puree), rich olive oil to fry, 2 tsp dried basil, half bag fresh basil (around a handful and a half) if possible, 1-2 cloves garlic. Put basil leaves in just before taking frying pan off heat. You may wish to save a few to float on top.

Variation: for spicy tomato & basil soup, add 1-2 red chillies, seeded for a fiery kick, or deseeded for warming & spicy.

If you have a hand blender rather than a jug blender, drain excess water from pan before blending (so that there's no "empty" water at the top of the veg) and put the blades to the very bottom of the pan. You would have to transfer the tomato soup mixture from a frying pan to a standard saucepan and add the water before blending.

October 5th, 2012, 02:07 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I have to try the warm vinegar thing out. We have very hard water as well.

I always cut up old clothes to use as rags and since the baby I use some as diaper liners as well.
October 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay I can't wait to try some of these recipes

My favorite would have to be homemade chicken broth-just because I use it in just about everything. There are two different ways I do it, depending on if I am making another soup or not.

If I am also making chicken and dumplings or chicken noodle soup I will take a roasting chicken and put it in a big pot (I have a pot the size of a turkey fryer lol) and fill it almost to the top with water. I will then add veggie scraps that I have frozen from other meals, one or two onions (quarted), and a lot of garlic, and spices (various depending on what I have on hand but usually sea salt, bay leaves (1-2), garlic powder, onion powder, etc. I let the water get to a rolling boil and then I turn it down to simmering, cover it, and let it simmer for several hours. When the chicken is tender or starting to fall off the bone I set another large pot in the sink with a colander over it and pour the contents of the pot through the colander so that the chicken and vegetables are separate from the broth. I then usually strain the broth through a cheese cloth again to make sure I got everything out.

I then use some of the broth for my soup but then freeze the rest in old sauce jars.

Make sure to save the chicken bones for the other way I make the broth

To make the second variation I take a lot of leftover chicken bones (either from roasting or boiling like above), another bag of veggie scraps, and the spices above and put them all in a large pot with a few tbsp of apple cider vinegar and then I fill the pot with water (the more bones the more water I use). I let it sit for about 20-30 minutes with no heat so that the vinegar can help take all the good stuff out of the bones, and then I cook like I did above.
The Lesha likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm lazy. My cooking blog is in my siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search