Two for Tuesday

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Corinthians10:4
  • 1 Post By alwayssmile

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Organic

1. How often do you buy organic fruit and veg and where from?

2. Do you think it tastes different?

October 23rd, 2012, 06:13 AM
Veteran
I buy as often as possible though I usually try to grow it myself.

Tastes - yes and no. Honestly I mostly notice the taste difference when it comes to being in season versus out of season. Out of season stuff is pretty bland while in season stuff is pretty flavorful. I notice a difference between my own garden's items (all organic)/farmer's market items (mostly organic) and grocery store items. I've even had the family say "Um, this doesn't taste as good as the last time you made it." Yes, that would be because I bought the veggies at the grocery store and didn't get them from our garden (or farmer's market). I think that's where the real eye-opener happens cause they have no idea where it's coming from unless they are the ones helping me cook that night.

October 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty much the same way, I buy organic when possible but I more focus on trying to buy in season and local at our farmers market (or my garden once I get it started). A lot of the stalls at the farmers market are not certified organic but they are organically grown (since it is so expensive to get a certified organic labeling for a family farm). I can definitely tell the difference between the fresh produce at the farmer's market and the produce in the commissary that has been shipped over from the mainland.
8forus likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 24th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I focus more on buying in season too. We used to get a vegbox from a farm in Cheshire not far from here. We stopped doing it a while ago but I'm thinking of starting it again as supermarket stuff you just don't know where it's from. The farm stuff is organic as well but that wasn't the main reason I bought it.

October 24th, 2012, 05:01 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We rarely buy organic from the grocery store. $5 for two bell peppers just isn't in our budget in the least bit. I hope to do the weekly boxes from a local farm next summer. While they're not certified organic, they do follow organic practices.
8forus likes this.

October 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Happy Mommy
when I can find what I need organic I do. from the grocery stre int he ehalth food section they have

yes and no,

Tags
green living , tuesday qotd , two for tuesday

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search