How Do/Did You Do It?

Forum: Single Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Single Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because William spent the first 10 days of his life at the hospital he's been having a rough time adjusting to home. The first night home he woke up around 11pm and was inconsolable until around 7 or 8am. Last night he woke up around 11pm again and didn't sleep until 4:30am. Both times my sister helped out but at 8am she went back home to Oregon. My mom had said she'd sleep in the guest bedroom after my sister left but she's upstairs on the other side of the house tonight.

William is feeding right now after being asleep roughly three hours. I'm hoping him being awake now will mean he'll sleep until 1am once he goes back to sleep, if I can get him to actually sleep after this. I'm hoping he will do well tonight.

Both nights I tried everything. Feeding, changing messy diapers, rocking, putting him in his swing, walking, bouncing, sugar water, pacifier, skin to skin, singing, music, white noise, etc. Nothing worked or didn't work for very long. Last night when my sister finally managed to get him to sleep he wouldn't sleep in his crib, he would only sleep in his swing. He hates his crib. I think it's cuz it's flat and not tilted at an angle like the thing on the hospital cart was. He seems to have a bit of a problem with reflux so I know that's part of it.

Mostly I think it's just him getting adjusted. His night time antibiotics were started at 10pm and lasted until 1am, then he was woken up at 4am for vitals and then again at 6am for more antibiotics.

Any help would be much appreciated. I try to sleep when he does so I won't be so tired and feel overwhelmed but it doesn't help much.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

November 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My brother and his wife had two babies with reflex for easier sleeping ways elevated they put the boppy pillow in the crib for bedtime and propped their babies against it . When it was nap time they put the boppy pillow on the ground and had their babies lay on it like it was in the middle of the boppy pillow .

Also, I'm not sure where I heard this but when babies are sleeping in the Nicu then they come home its a bit too quiet and darker than what they are used too so they need an little bit more light and little bit more noise so they can get to sleep.

Do you bottle feed him or nurse him ?

November 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I nurse him for the most part. Bottles only come in when he has hiccups and I give him some water or when someone else is taking care of him. Or, if I pumped while he was sleeping and he woke earlier than normal to be fed.

Last night was much better than the others. Though he still only likes his swing. He almost slept in his crib on the boppy but it didn't last for long. With last night he woke up around 11pm or midnight and I fed him and he went to sleep soon after. He slept until around 4am and after that he just couldn't settle down long enough for actual sleep. So me and him had cat naps until 11am when I handed him off to my mom for two hours so I could get an actual nap. But there wasn't any real crying, just some mild fussiness.

November 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM
rugby_girl's Avatar <3 my boy :)
Send a message via AIM to rugby_girl
Have you tried gas drops or gripe water? gas drops were a life saver with Austin. If he wants to sleep elevated, check out the fisher price rock n play sleeper (Fisher-Price Newborn Rock & Play Sleeper - Fisher-Price - Babies "R" Us) you might be able to get it cheaper at a consignment shop or look for 20% of babies r us coupons

I heard sugar water isn't really good for newborns. And I wouldn't use the boppy in the crib at night, for naps it should be fine when your monitoring him but at night when your sleeping, it would pose a HUGE SIDS risk. If he wants to sleep in his swing, car seat or bouncer... let him its your sanity! haha Austin slept in his swing for 3-4 weeks. then he slept in the pack n play bassinet part for a while, the crib was too much space for him.

Have you tried swaddling? or does he like to sleep with out the swaddle?

Hang in there momma it gets a bit easier

Jaime, single mommy to Austin (2/8/11)

November 26th, 2011, 11:14 PM
With both my kids I had to make them into burritos (swaddle) real tight that's the only way they would stay asleep for longer then 30 minutes. Hope you get some sleep sweetie.
November 27th, 2011, 07:48 PM
The nurses said he was too young for gas drops. His gas seems to have calmed down some and he's gotten used to the house.

He sleeps in his swing at night, except last night for half the night. He started in it and finished the night in the bed next to me. He HAS to have his paci when he's falling asleep in his swing and it kept falling out, as usual, but it bugged him even more than normal. I tried to soothe him but was too tired to sit up and hold him so I just laid him next to me and he immediately started falling asleep. I tried putting him back in the swing but he just got cranky all over again. So I propped him up a bit with my pillow and laid next to him, with Teddy on the other side. Slept in the same position for four hours until after 9am.

The sugar water isn't something I want to continue doing. I don't want him getting hooked on having something sweet in order to go to bed, especially when the sugar begins to keep him awake instead of easing his pain. I haven't heard anything about it being bad, though. What do things say?

William does enjoy being swaddled. I do it as often as I can. A lot of the time I have to keep redoing it cause the little guy is a Houdini when it comes to getting his arms out of the blankets lol.

But he's been doing much better the past few nights. I know they won't always be great but he seems to be more comfortable.

November 28th, 2011, 06:32 AM
rugby_girl's Avatar <3 my boy :)
Send a message via AIM to rugby_girl
too young for gas drops?????? They gave Austin gas drops at the hospital!!!

sugar water is bad because you aren't supposed to give newborns extra water. Like if you do formula your supposed to use exact amounts of water in the mix, water it down. It can essentially make them drown and means they are taking that much less of formula/milk that has the nutrition they need.

Jaime, single mommy to Austin (2/8/11)

November 29th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah I'd never heard that gas drops were for a certain age group. A lot of the women in my DDC are using them.

I don't give him sugar water in a bottle. I make 10mL of it and pour a tiny bit into one of the caps that goes on the medela bottles. Then I'll take his paci and just dip the flat part of it in the water and give that to him. He probably gets two drops of it at a time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search