Roll Call!

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are you currently reading?

I'm Sharon, mom to David, he'll be two y/o this month. I'm planning his Nemo party, any ideas would be welcome.

I'm currently reading "The Murder Book" by Jonathan Kellerman. So far so good.

Sharon
November 10th, 2005, 07:01 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just finished Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts an hour ago, it was a great quick read!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

November 10th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Madylyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Madylyn Send a message via Yahoo to Madylyn
Reading The Stand right now

Check out my pics & my blog!
November 11th, 2005, 09:44 PM
OpheliaLoved's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm Jess, otherwise known as O...

I'm re-reading Gloria Naylor's Bailey's Cafe

For the nemo party: I once made an "under the sea" cake with blue icing, goldfish crackers, gummy sharks, and star sprinkles. I used black licorice for sea plants too. You can even fill the middle of the cake with blue-raspberry jello (I've seen this done a lot in magazines like Women's Day) and it looks like water, but I've found that the kids kind of get freaked by the 'different-ness' of it and end up not eatign it with the jello. I've made this cake twice- once with the jell-o middle and once without; I worked so hard on the one with jello and no one ate it.. but they all ate the one that I made the next time without it!!! You could build an under water world for them to crawl through (depending on David's age, his friends might think it is lame if they are too old, but younger kids think it's awesome) just get a sheet and set it up like a very low and wide tent and decorate underneath it with underwater stuff like inflatable fish. I used an old sheet when I did this, so I was able to sew short strands of blue and green yarn to the sheet, so it moved over them like sea weed when they crawled. David could help pick out things to decorate; that would make him feel so helpful! Look for things in the wal-mart pool section. As the kids go thruogh you move the sheet up and down so it moves like waves... it sounds really cheesey now that I'm typing it, but my pre-school class thought it was the greatest thing....

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread Ooh, to get back on track, I'm also reading the Long Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
November 15th, 2005, 09:50 AM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ryan and I will be going to the library this afternoon to choose our next batch of books. I'm browsing for ideas....(I live in a very small town, but we have a surprisingly large library - lots of OPEN MINDED readers live here!)

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
November 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm Julie and I'm currently reading the most recent Merry Gentry book by Laurel K. Hamilton (I think its Seduced by Moonlight, but I'm too lazy to go look )

November 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
I am Cayleigh..... Mom to Alex (age 8), partner to Ryan.... We are expecting "Junebug" to arrive on June 21st, 2006...........

Currently I am reading the new Oprah pick "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey...........
I work at a bookstore, so I have been trying to read the books that customers are often after....
I don't generally like their type of reading....
November 21st, 2005, 01:53 PM
mrobinson
I've only heard that book is the most rivetting... I love Oprah but I tried to read the bluest eye and couldn't get into it... I don't think her and I have the same tastes in books!

I'm currently reading a book about Ghosts, spirits, etc. :Visits from the Afterlife by Sylvia Browne. I can't put it down but I had a ghost experience that changed my thinking so.... anyway it's fun!
November 21st, 2005, 06:52 PM
Heh, mostly I don't have anywhere near the same tastes as Oprah....

When she chose "Anna Karanina" by Tolstoy, that was a different story... LOL but that was only time I agreed with her tastes!
November 22nd, 2005, 05:26 AM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Currently reading The Jesus Conspiracy. I'm going to re-read Generation X by Coupland and Into Thin Air by Jon Krakuer(sp?) about the Mount Everest expedition in 96 in which several climbers perished.
November 22nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
mrobinson
I have a bunch of companion books on that Mt. Everest expedition... that is just an insane but true story - I wish everyone would read that book! There's a great Discovery show on ... um... oh, the Imax show...

I'll talk about it after your done!
November 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Nov 22 2005, 12:26 PM

I have a bunch of companion books on that Mt. Everest expedition... that is just an insane but true story - I wish everyone would read that book!* There's a great Discovery show on ... um... oh, the Imax show...

I'll talk about it after your done!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Actually, I have already read it and am going to re-read it once I'm done with the Jesus Conspiracy. Into Thin Air is a really good book. The author is very descriptive and it is not bogged down with too many technicalities. I've also gone through "The Ghosts of Everest". It's about the expedition to find out what happened to Mallory, and when they found remains that they believed to be his. Another very interesting read, and of course I have the National Geographic book on Everest as well. My dh and I saw Everest on Imax when we were on our honeymoon over 6 years ago. It was amazing. Everest has always been of interest to me, so I read as much as I can get my hands on.
November 22nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
mrobinson
I'm so glad!!! I read the book from the Russian guide, who many people pointed the finger at... as well as from other perspectives... Did you catch the memorial on the Imax? Man, I still cry through it. Did you see how they grew the Texan's nose on his forehead on Discovery? It was awesome! Have you noticed how common the name Scott Fischer is now? (Just not the same dude!)

I have tons of picture books on the Himalaians, Everest, K2, as well as true adventures of hikers... I got the one you have too! It just the most interesting thing to read about people's sense of adventure. I have to admit, as thrilling as Everest is, K2 is the most interesting to me... I think because it's challenage.
November 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
im currently in the middle of 2 books, which always seems to happen.

last i read was Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie. i took russian in high school and i fell in love with the language and the culture, especially the romanov dynasty!

and im reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. anyone who likes fantasy or just something different will fall in love with him.

November 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Into Thin Air is my other half's favorite book!!!!!!

I was going to buy it for him so that he would have his own copy......
I may read it..

I watched that show "Everest" on Discovery channel but it is far to repetitive. I wish I could see the last episode but it never happens; always a re-run!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search