Watcha reading??

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just finished "The Ghost and Mrs. mcClure" which was OK, not thrilling, but OK.
I'm starting "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. To be honest, I'm not even sure what genre is it So far so good, although I'm on apge 33. Seeing it's 983 pages with very tiny letters my giess is I'll be finishing it sometime around 2014

I'd better go do some reading then

Sharon
December 21st, 2005, 08:57 PM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm reading "Why DO They Act that Way?" I can't remember the author and I'm too lazy to go up two floors to my bedroom to check . It's about understanding the adolescent brain, and is a fun and interesting read. Hopefully it will help me survive my teenagers!

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
December 22nd, 2005, 09:20 AM
mama2jacob&charlotte's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mama2jacob&charlotte
I just finished a great book, Pope Joan by Donna Wolfolk-Cross (sp?). It was terrific! Now I am reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (sp?), it's pretty good.

I was going to pick up the new book, it's calld Everyone who Counts or something like that, by Lauren Weisberger, who wrote The Devil Wears Prada, which I LOVED that book, but I heard her new book is terrible. So I will get it from the library or at least wait until it comes out in paperback.

D'oh ... I can't figure out how to underline those book titles. Forgive me.

Thanks to JaidynsMum for my awesome siggy!
December 22nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Taltos by Anne Rice
December 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
Watership Down by Richard Adams.

I read it as a kiddo and wanted to add it to my book collection.
January 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just started "First They Killed My Father" by loung ung. it is the trials of a girl in cambodia during the Khmer Rouge.

Quote:
I'm starting "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. To be honest, I'm not even sure what genre is it So far so good, although I'm on apge 33. Seeing it's 983 pages with very tiny letters my giess is I'll be finishing it sometime around 2014

I'd better go do some reading then

Sharon[/b]
I read pillars of the earth a few years back and loved it. i was not too into other follet books - or even books set during that time period - i still loved it!

<div align="center"></div>

February 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM
MommieinNC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A Mid Summers Kiss

By Laura (something LOL)
February 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter
March 11th, 2006, 07:54 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Acts of Faith by Erich Segal. It seems to be about the relationship between a Jewish brother and sister and a Catholic. I'm only on page 3 so I'm not 100% what it's about.

~Nay
March 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM
TanyaD
GONE by Lisa Gardner
March 19th, 2006, 02:26 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm reading a few books, one on puppy training since I have a new puppy, a Nora Roberts triliogy called Rising Tides (I think) and a few different parenting books. I like a veriety of choices for my evening reading! :-)

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

April 3rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Super Mommy
I am currently addicted to Luanne Rice books and reading Summer's Child at the moment.
April 3rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
I'm currently reading the first Harry Potter

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
April 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
jbc0827
Quote:
I'm reading a few books, one on puppy training since I have a new puppy, a Nora Roberts triliogy called Rising Tides (I think) and a few different parenting books. I like a veriety of choices for my evening reading! :-)[/b]
I love that triology by Nora Roberts. Actually she added a fourth book to it a couple of years ago so I guess it isn't a trilogy anymore. LOL The Key trilogy and the In the Garden trilogy of hers are good also.
April 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz
April 4th, 2006, 07:47 AM
amymarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to amymarie Send a message via MSN to amymarie Send a message via Yahoo to amymarie
I just finished Death in White Bear Lake (true crime story) and am looking for something else to pick up. I am still waiting for 4th of July by James Patterson to come out in paperback. I LOVE everything Patterson writes!!!

Billy Lewis: The Heart of the Light!

April 4th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cwatson Send a message via Yahoo to cwatson
Quote:
I just finished Death in White Bear Lake (true crime story) and am looking for something else to pick up. I am still waiting for 4th of July by James Patterson to come out in paperback. I LOVE everything Patterson writes!!![/b]

I have Death in White Bear Lake... but I haven't read it... I picked it up for like a dollar at half priced books... was it good?

ETA what I am currently reading... I'm reading April Shawdown by V.C. Andrews, a true crime book that Ann Rule highly recommended about The West Side Raptist in Cleveland, OH (I live about 4 hours south of there), some different pregnancy books and as always a magazine here and there....

~Carol

April 4th, 2006, 08:06 AM
amymarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to amymarie Send a message via MSN to amymarie Send a message via Yahoo to amymarie
It was a really hard read. I thought it was good, but it was so difficult to get through. The author alternates between stuff that has nothing to do with the case. It will be talking about the little boy and the home and the mother....and then it will start saying...."in 1969, so and so was just being elected president. The republican party met on July something or other to vote on new officers. In April it rained for seven days. Minnesota was enjoying a peaceful summer and China was being plagued by locusts."

Obviously that is an embellishment...lol...but it is very similiar to what it does in the book. I found myself reading it and going "WHY are they telling me this, I just want to know what happened next to the little boy!"....lol. The thing is, when it wanders like that.....it wanders for like two chapters. It drags forever....and then you'll get back to the story.

Normally I can get through a book in a day or two at the most, but this one took me three and a half days because it was easy to get frustrated and put it down. I almost didn't finish it twice, but since I knew nothing of the case, I kept going. About half-way through the book it picks up and stops wandering so much. If you can make it that far......you'll make it the rest of the way! I pick up books cheap all over the place. Mostly goodwill stores for a quarter or fifty cents....so it was worth the quarter and three days....lol. I did a lot of research on the internet about the true story after I read it to find out what happened to all the people. Also, it was made into a Lifetime movie, but I haven't seen it yet.

Billy Lewis: The Heart of the Light!

April 4th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cwatson Send a message via Yahoo to cwatson
Quote:
It was a really hard read. I thought it was good, but it was so difficult to get through. The author alternates between stuff that has nothing to do with the case. It will be talking about the little boy and the home and the mother....and then it will start saying...."in 1969, so and so was just being elected president. The republican party met on July something or other to vote on new officers. In April it rained for seven days. Minnesota was enjoying a peaceful summer and China was being plagued by locusts."

Obviously that is an embellishment...lol...but it is very similiar to what it does in the book. I found myself reading it and going "WHY are they telling me this, I just want to know what happened next to the little boy!"....lol. The thing is, when it wanders like that.....it wanders for like two chapters. It drags forever....and then you'll get back to the story.

Normally I can get through a book in a day or two at the most, but this one took me three and a half days because it was easy to get frustrated and put it down. I almost didn't finish it twice, but since I knew nothing of the case, I kept going. About half-way through the book it picks up and stops wandering so much. If you can make it that far......you'll make it the rest of the way! I pick up books cheap all over the place. Mostly goodwill stores for a quarter or fifty cents....so it was worth the quarter and three days....lol. I did a lot of research on the internet about the true story after I read it to find out what happened to all the people. Also, it was made into a Lifetime movie, but I haven't seen it yet.[/b]

Thank you for the in depth on it... now I know what to expect... definitely something I'll read if I'm on bedrest as it'll be easier to get through when I have nothing to do... Maybe I can just skip those chapters! hahaha!!!

I do really appreciate your insight!!!

~Carol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search