Twilight Discussion

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angela* View Post
I just found this. I just finished Breaking Dawn and now I am sad because now I don't know what to do with myself. I feel so lost now that I don't have anymore Edward and Bella to read about.

Try Charlene Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series..Dead Until Dark, etc. For me they aren't as good as Twilight, but it did fill the void of a love story amongst humans, vampires, shapeshifters, etc. And there's 9 books and they are pretty quick reads. Much more, um, raw? than twilight though, obviously found in the adult section. They are what the HBO series True Blood is based on...another guilty pleasure. This vampire thing is getting out of control! ha.
June 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What age would you let your child(ren) read Twilight?
What about watch the movie?

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
June 16th, 2009, 10:56 AM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingStar View Post
What age would you let your child(ren) read Twilight?
What about watch the movie?
Hypothetically speaking (since I'm not a mom yet), I would let them read it whenever they showed an interest. Same with the movie (if I'm reasonably sure they won't get nightmares from the bad vampires! lol). I don't think there is anything objectionable in there at all, actually I think it promotes a nice alternative perspective of a romantic teen relationship that isn't centered around sex. I don't even consider myself super conservative in this way, but I do think it is healthy for teen and even pre-teen girls to realize that sex does not always equate with love.

On a side note, I hooked a new Twilight virgin yesterday! Always a fun experience!

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
June 16th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cant say that I'd let my younger teen read them all. I dont have kids yet, but I dont know that anyone under 14-15 can really get Breaking Dawn, nor do I want my 13 year old reading about some of the themes in there

June 17th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just finished the series and feel like i have nothing left to live for.

Oh a friend emailed me the alternate version of the honeymoon. If you want it PM me!
June 17th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Regular
I was kinda suprised by some of the content, knowing it was for young adults, but then I tried to remember some of the books i read back then that danced around the sex. Then I was reading romance novels when i was like 15/16, so by then it was no biggie. I would prolly judge it based on the kid's maturity...generally I think girls read these, and a 13 year old girl would prolly be mature enough to handle it, as long as there was open discussion and what not. I do agree with mandyt that is puts teenage love in a good light.

The movie was prolly even more innocent to me b/c u don't get as deep into the emotions and psyche. Now, when we get to movie 3 & 4, it will depend. I'm curious to see how the gore goes, as far as the battle and all that.

Mandyt ~ i love getting new people hooked onto it! I think i'm responsible for about 4 or 5 people reading them. I feel like some kind of drug dealer or something...ha!
June 19th, 2009, 09:14 AM
My oldest is 11 and her friends all read it, but she's not a reader at all. (Drives me nuts, because both me and dh love to read). She got my SIL to buy her a copy of Twilight and I let her keep it... pretty much knowing it wouldn't get read. I think she got through 100 pages of it. She's had it for almost a year now!!

My kids have seen the movie, here at home, with us. None of them were scared and nobody asked any questions. I'll screen New Moon before I let any of them watch it.

If they ever get into the books, I'd probably keep BD away from them until they were mature enough.

I love getting new people hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
The movie to me is no big deal. 5 year olds could watch it...actually my 6 year old NEPHEW loves it and loves to talk to me about Edward. We watched HP the other day and he was shocked to see "Edward"

The books however induce emotions and emotional rollercoasters, that even as a 26 year old woman, I found it hard to handle for a few weeks. Clearly I"m still pretty obsessed but for a few weeks it was BAD. I"m not the only one-- you can read over at twilightmoms about thousands of pages of women discussing how they felt they almost lost their minds because its all they could think about. I found it hard to work, even discuss anything outside of the topics. Actually I didnt talk much at all, I wanted to be back in that world

I know plenty of teens would be fine I"m sure. I however would have found it even harder to manage that type of emotion at 15

June 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Josey's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Josey
I would have to determine that based on the child's maturity. I am still quite obsessed with it. lol I ditto what lash said about not being able to concentrate and wanting back in that world. I wonder if teens are the same way emotionally or if we take it to that level because we are older??

Thanks to ~* Helen *~ for my beautiful siggy!
June 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
^ I dont know I wonder that too. For my own teenage years, I was quite emotionally "deep" (HA!) or so I thought at the time. The point is though that I was a pretty emotional teen, and while I'm more in control obviously as an adult, it would have sent me in a tail spin. And I was a very mature girl, and always felt beyond my age group in maturity. I skipped grades and still felt older than my classmates. I held a job, had great grades, long term boyfriends, made good choices, drove well (heck I even asked for a 4 door car as my first because it would get better gas and have cheaper insurance since I was paying those)

And these books still would have just sent me into a tailspin

June 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Please don't misunderstand me, I would have been insane reading it when I was a teen!! I was a huge emotional rollercoaster and I can't imagine how I would have handled it when I was 15.

June 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
I would have been the same way as a teen. I'm not sure my oldest will ever be that way, or maybe she'll be that way later on. She loves to say how much she loves Edward, but she doesn't "get it". She really doesn't.

June 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
So, what's going on?? I know there are so many of us who love these books, let's keep the discussion going!!!

June 29th, 2009, 07:51 AM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
I finally finished all four books and am still reading Midnight Sun online. Breaking Dawn was probably my favorite book but I absolutely love the whole series. We saw the movie then decided to read the books...the books are so much better. I'm kind of sad that I am pretty much done with the books (I can't stand read online for any length of time so I kind of want to wait until Midnight sun is published.) I didn't want it to end!

My son runs around asking to watch "Tweewight" lol (He's 2, he doesn't last through even ten minutes of any movie not involving spiderman so he hasn't seen it...lol)

June 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I am dying for Midnight Sun to be published. I can't bring myself to read it online because it isn't how she intended us to see it. It would also drive me crazy because it isn't finished! lol I am currently reading the series for the second time and am amazed at the little things I missed the first time! Anyone else do the same thing??

July 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
According to wikipedia, when SM was asked if she was going to continue writing from the " twillight world" she said if she did it would be from Renessemee or Leah Clearwater's prespective! I would love to see it through either one of these or a whole book through * gasp* Jacob. lol. How excited are we about " New Moon"? I CANNOT wait, although I thought the wolf ( fromt he previews) was going to be Much bigger than that. I hope she continues writing. I think I would let my children read it when they were about hmm 15. I also cannot wait for the 3rd and 4th movies just to see how they carry things out. i haven't read BD yet but I am starting Tuesday, I jsut finished Eclipse today!

July 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Yes, I reread it a lot. I've read Twilight 4 times. NM and EC 2 times. BD 3 times. I go in spurts. Sometimes I just think of something and go read it and end up reading the whole book again. I have to have a weekly fix... whether it's reading or watching it or going online and looking at pictures/reading information.

July 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Regular
A question to spice up the thread....

How did the image of the characters in your mind compare to the actors in the movie? And the ones hired for New Moon (ie, Dakota Fanning as Jane, etc.)

I know I have trouble remembering most of the vamps are young, good looking. Some of the Volturi I kept picturing as old & wrinkly, ha! Edward was pretty darn close to Rob for me, a little more blond & larger framed. Bella was practically right on to Kristen in my mind. Jacob wasn't as hot as Taylor in my mind, but sure glad they picked him! ha. And even though I prolly didn't picture Jane as Dakota, I think its a pretty good fit, she has the whole pale, skinny, petite vibe going on. Most of the Cullen siblings were different in my mind, but I like the actors picked to play them as well. I know I kind of keep the book characters & movie characters kind of separate in my mind when discussing either/or.

I have not re-read any books yet, but plan to do New Moon again before the movie. If I ever have time I would like to go thru and tag some of my favorite quotes & scenes.
July 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I also keep forgetting about the ages of the vamps! I was alittle put off by the wolf pack because I imagined them WAY bigger, but I like who they picked. I am itching to see them act though..then I will really make my mind up. I LOVED Carlisle and Esme, was dead on with Edward, didn't really like Bella, came to like Jackson and Emmett, but SUPER in love with Alice. She was exactly what I had pictured. Jacob was way cuter than I had imagined him to be when I read the book. lol I can't wait to see BD to see that one "thing" *didn't wanna give anything away*.

July 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
I saw the movie then read the books, so that makes it a bit different...I already had the characters in my head from the movie when reading the books. I did picture someone a bit prettier for Rosalie in the movie though...they way she's described, I picture an absolute knockout. The girl who plays her is pretty but more so as a brunette than a blonde. It just doesn't fit for me.

I do think Dakota is a good fit for Jane but I wouldn't have thought of her for that role. The rest of the characters that were chosen for NM I am not too sure of yet, because I don't know who they are too well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search