V.C Andrews readers?

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
ok so I know some folks find her writing is a bit juvenile (lol whatever that means) but I like reading her books ... anyone else read them?

yesterday I finally bought a copy of one of my faves "Flowers In The Attic" ... I also have several of her other series of books inclusive of sequels and prequels as well.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
March 29th, 2006, 09:29 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
: ) I LOVE her!
I also own several of her seris of books

I think my favorite is the one that started with Rain..

Flowers in the attic waas very good.

March 29th, 2006, 09:49 AM
oh Rain series was way cool.

I think my fave so far has been the Heaven series though.

I'll admit that I don't like some of the newer stuff like the Wildflowers series.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
March 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im with you on that.
The older ones are way better.
I used to go to the flea market and buy her books all the time.
I havent been in a while

March 29th, 2006, 11:56 AM
MinnesotaMommy
V.C. Andrews is all I read!! I agree the the older ones are MUCH better written, but.........I do have the WHOLE collection up to the one that comes out this spring. I'm reading the Celeste books right now, the third one.
March 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Quote:
V.C. Andrews is all I read!! I agree the the older ones are MUCH better written, but.........I do have the WHOLE collection up to the one that comes out this spring. I'm reading the Celeste books right now, the third one.[/b]
oh I have the first two Celeste ... I havent gotten the third as yet.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
March 29th, 2006, 01:36 PM
MinnesotaMommy
Child of Darkness is not as good as the first 2. Its taken me awhile to finish reading it.
March 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i LOVE VC Andrews! Rain and Heaven were great - i get frustrated though, cuz i read a couple of books in a series, then can't find the books to finish them off!
March 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Quote:
i LOVE VC Andrews! Rain and Heaven were great - i get frustrated though, cuz i read a couple of books in a series, then can't find the books to finish them off![/b]
that's been my problem with the Melody series

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
March 30th, 2006, 05:21 AM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love her books.The reason the older ones are better written & the newest aren't what you are use to is because she died.Her children have allowed a ghost writer to take her "ideas" and write more books.
I am not sure what her last book was off the top of my head.
March 30th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Quote:
I love her books.The reason the older ones are better written & the newest aren't what you are use to is because she died.Her children have allowed a ghost writer to take her "ideas" and write more books.
I am not sure what her last book was off the top of my head.[/b]
ohhhhhhh!

that's a lot of ghost written books. The ideas may be somewhat similar however, the writing style is just so different that it just really doesn't hold much of my interest.

With the earlier books I totally always bought the following book even before reaching halfway the previous one
and as for the prequels ... oh those are definitely the best cause it fills in soooooooo much blanks that I'm not aware of

here is an article I found online when I did a search on her:
Quote:
The Unforgettable V. C. Andrews
Best selling gothic novelist Cleo Virginia Andrews was born on June 6, 1924 in Portsmouth, Virginia. She died on December 19, 1986 of breast cancer at the age of 62. V. C. Andrews, as she was better known to her fans, wrote the infamous novel Flowers in the Attic. This shocking tale of four children locked in the attic of one of the most wealthy families in Virginia by their estranged religious grandmother for four horrifying years instantly became a bestseller in 1979. Ms. Andrews was world renowned for her ability to tell shocking stories. This shock factor is what has kept her fans loyal to her and her ghostwriter for the last two decades.

Many critics have claimed that her writing style was eccentric, not to mention the fact that they believed her novels to be immoral. In 1983 Flowers in the Attic was banned from all schools because of its offensive passages concerning incest and for its explicit sexual content. However, Ms. Andrews thrived on the novel's controversy. It's controversy only encouraged and inspired her to write more edgy novels such as My Sweet Audrina and Flowers sequel Petals in the Wind.

Because Andrews was always pushing the envelope, she earned many awards for her writing. In 1984 she was named "Professional Woman of the Year" by the city of Norfolk, Virginia. However, she earned an even greater achievement when in 1986 the American Booksellers Association named her "The Number One Best selling Author of Popular Horror and Occult Paperbacks" beating out Stephen King.

As thrilling as her life became, it was not always that way. When Andrews was only a teenager, she suffered from severe back injuries which where the result of a fall in a school stairwell. Although her family attempted to correct her back injury through experimental surgery, their attempts only failed. However, not only did they fail but the surgery left Andrews with arthritis and confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life. Andrews' mother, Lillian Andrews, was very over protective of her and tried to keep her indoors and away from the cruel outside world. However, Andrews was young, strong, and determined to reach her dreams and would not allow herself to be shunned from the world.

One of those dreams was to be a painter. Painting was her first love and she was very talented at it. Andrews soon became a very successful fashion illustrator, portrait painter, and commercial artist. Selfless as she was Andrews used her success painting to help to financially support her family.

V. C. Andrews began her writing career much later in her life at the age of 48. Although she was an avid reader of all the classics, she became bored of their predictability and decided to write her own stories. In 1972 she wrote her first novel The Gods of the Green Mountains which was a science fiction/fantasy story never to be published. Nine novels and twenty short stories followed from 1972-1979. Only one of the short fiction stories entitled I Slept with My Uncle on My Wedding Night, was published. Finally, Andrews submitted for publication a novel entitled The Obsessed. This novel was returned to Ms. Andrews with the suggestion that she spice up the content more and it would be considered for publication. Later the novel's name was changed from The Obsessed to Flowers in the Attic which became a number one bestseller in only two weeks. The next year the novel's sequel Petals on the Wind was published and remained on the New York Times Bestsellers List for nineteen weeks. Because of this sequel's success, Flowers also returned to the bestseller's list. These two novels sold more than seven million copies in only two years.

The novels that followed If There Be Thorns (1981), Seeds of Yesterday (1984), Heaven, (1985), and Dark Angel (1986) all instantly became bestsellers. However, one novel Andrews wrote in 1982 entitled My Sweet Audrina, a break from the Dollanganger series, topped all sales figures from her previous novels prior to that year and was considered her most successful novel.

Andrews lived to see her cult classic Flowers in the Attic turned into a movie. Ms. Andrews played the small role of a window-washing maid which for filled her lifelong fantasy of becoming an actress. However, the movie was not released until 1987, a year after her death so Andrews never knew her fan's reaction to it.

After her death, two more of her novels where published: Garden of Shadows (prequel to Flowers) and Fallen Hearts (third novel in the Casteel series). These two were the last novels that Andrews physically wrote. Because Andrews told the Washington Post that she had 63 synopses for other stories, after her death her family declared that more of Andrews' stories would be published in the future. The family hired a mysterious ghostwriter to continue Andrews' legacy. The ghostwriter's identity was held secret from Andrews' fans for years. However, the ghostwriter was finally unmasked as Andrew Neiderman best known for his novel The Devil's Advocate published in 1990 and adapted into a movie released in 1997. Since the unfortunate death of V. C. Andrews, Neiderman has appeased her fan's by keeping her stories alive.

At the time of her death, V. C. Andrews had over twenty four-million books in print and her estate was worth more than eight million dollars. Yet even death could not stop her stories from being told. Perhaps her writing career was cut short, but her legacy and stories never will be. It is overwhelmingly apparent that Andrews' family will continue publishing books under her name as long as there is an audience for her novels. Therefore, from now until the time her novels stop making its readers gasp, laugh, and/or cry, she will always remain unforgettable in the eyes of her fans.[/b]
xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
May 3rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
Heh, i knew that she had a "ghost writer" for a long time... But I was a big big fan of her books for the longest time...........

I think my favorite one was "My Sweet Audrina"... Loved the Flowers in the Attic Series and the Heaven Series.

I owned all of her books that were released prior to 1995 but they got destroyed in a housefire that we had in February 1996......
May 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Veteran
I started reading her books when I was in elementary school. The content was probably toomature for me, but I couldn't put the books down, so my mom let me read them! I love the Heaven series and My sweet Audrina. I havent' read many of her new books, though. I tried to once, but the writing was just too different and the feel of the books was lost for me.

May 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I"m new here, and don't often have time to read any more. However, in high school, and in my early twenties, I was a rabid VC Andrews fan. I even went to Flowers in the Attic when it was a movie. I was quite uncomfortable with the incest, but couldn't put the dang books down! Now you ladies have me thinking about picking up some of ones I have yet to read.
May 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Delurking here...

She's always been one of my favorite authors as well, I LOVE her books...but I also have to agree with the majority, they are just not the same since she passed. I keep buying them and reading them, it's an addiction, but they're not near as good.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
July 15th, 2006, 09:39 PM
berrygirll's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I love VC Andrews (still, lol) and have about every book she's written. As a matter of fact, Garden of Shadows is in my bathroom right now!
I love to re-read them...like go back and read the whole series of "Dawn", or whatever.
But I def. like her earlier books, they seem way more in depth than the newer ones. Or at least all the teenage series books. These new ones with "Black Cat" and all aren't bad, IMO.
Jake (16)
Sam (13)
Layla (9)
stepmom to:
Kayleigh (20)
Emilee (19)
Madison (7)

July 31st, 2006, 04:21 PM
I have Melody on my bed right now ... I just started back re reading that two nights ago lol cause I went into my collection of books and got all intrigued all over again

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
November 1st, 2006, 05:50 AM
anyone here believe I'm picking up Flowers in the Attic to re-read yet again?

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
November 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM
Paiton's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Paiton Send a message via Yahoo to Paiton
I love all these books, I collect them!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search