Reading Challenges for 2010?

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is anyone participating in any book challenges for the new year?

Last year, I did:

- ABC Author challenge - read books for authors from each letter of the alphabet.
For example, Melissa Anelli - Harry, A History, Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

- ABC Title challenge - read books with titles from each letter of the alphabet.
For example, The Alchemist by Paul Coelho, Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

This year, I did:

- ABC Author challenge again but to make it a bit more difficult, I only counted new authors, authors I have never read before.

- Genre challenge - read 2 books from 12 different genres

- New York Bestseller's List challenge - my goal was to read 10 books from the list

- ABC Title challenge - I ended up doing this challenge again b/c I read so many books that I was well on my way to fulfilling the challenge - I haven't though.

I haven't decided what reading challenges I am going to do for 2010 b/c I am still working on completing this year's challenges.

Jenn
December 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... That sounds like fun, but I'd be so angry with myself if I did not reach my goal. I'm going to try to finish up the series I'm currently on and read all of the books that are on my want list. You know, if I could only rip myself away from the internet, I could get much more reading done....

December 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hear ya on the internet! lol

A challenge can be what you make of it. Your challenge could be to read X amount of books for 2010 or to read a series or two. You can even shoot for X amount of pages.

I was pretty upset that I wouldn't be able to complete my challenges even though they weren't the initial ones I had at the beginning of the year. I've been scrambling to read the last week. I am actually on my LAST book. I had miscounted. Cutting it close but I may hit all my goals!
January 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Books I want to read:

-Time Traveler's wife.
-Pride and Prejudice
-To kill a mockingbird. (well, a re-read, I've read it before.)
-Sense and Sensibility
-Lord of the rings trilogy (possibility, I'm still thinking about it.)

That's all right now, but I'll be adding onto them as the year goes by.

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."

Last edited by future_adoption_mommy; January 3rd, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
January 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How cool, I've never done one of these- aside from in highschool when we had to track the books/pages we read over the summer. I didn't enjoy my teacher calling me a baldfaced liar because I read so much.

So how do you guys track that? I could use an excel doc I guess, but it would be nicer if Shelfari or something could do that.
January 3rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I sorta do keep track of it on Shelfari. I only started with Shelfari beginning of last year, so I knew that whatever I read was going towards my 2009 totals. It will be different now that I cannot differentiate between 2009 and 2010 books.

I've also kept track of the books on my blog. And I kept a running list on another site with a virtual book club. It could be done here, too. You'd just have to update the list as you read.

My friend, who I did a couple of the challenges with, uses a spreadsheet.

Btw, I cannot believe that your teacher insulted you like that. What a horrid teacher!

Jenn
January 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can sort of relate on the teacher thing. in 10th grade I my English Class had this reading program and they had a goal to get everyone in the class to read 90 minutes a week. That was no problem for me. I read more like 90 minutes a day.

Now, because I had trouble in school my parents had to attended IEP (Individualized Educational Plans) meetings and my teachers, my school counselor, my parents and I would come up with a plan so that I could graduate.

Any way in one meeting my English teacher explained the reading program and she knew that we scheduled out my homework time. So she said "you'll have to make time for her to read 90 minutes a week." My mom and I both started laughing. Poor girl thought we were making fun of her (but then we explained why it was so funny.)

PS. I edited my reading goals.

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
January 4th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I have my reading challenge for 2010. My friend came up with it.

It's a 52 book challenge:
A) 24 books -- the genre challenge (2 books from each of the categories from last year)
B) 7 books -- from the banned books lists
C) 7 books - from award-winning books (like the Booker Prize or the Pulitzer)
D) 7 books that start with "J" or have the name Jennifer in them (our name)
E) 7 books with numbers in their title

I was surfing the web last night and I came across a few other challenges that caught my eye as well.

Jenn
January 21st, 2010, 06:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've also joined a couple more challenges:

- 2010 TBR Challenge from MizB's Reading Challenges blog

- 2010 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge from Reading with Tequila blog

And I'm still eying the following challenges:

- 2010 Pub Challenge from 1morechapter.com blog

- 2010 Reading Resolutions Challenge from Jenny Loves to Read blog

Jenn

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic: