Writers; a question

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For those of you who write if you share your work with anybody and they like it, do you ever think they like it because they like the subject matter? or because you're their friend?

Okay let me explain, I write fanfiction and I post it on fanfiction.net and I get reviews a lot saying "oh I love this story!" (or some variation thereof) but I can never tell if they like it because I'm a good writer or because they just like the subject matter (Harry Potter, Smallvile, National Treasure etc.) or wosre if it's a friend reading it I can't tell if they like it because I'm their friend or because I'm a good writer.

Have any of you had this problem?

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
January 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Beta readers who AREN'T your friends are invaluable. There are lots of online critique groups you can join. Not only will you have your own work objectively critiqued, but you'll improve your own writing by critiquing others.

That being said, my sister is probably one of the greatest assets to my career. She provides the perfect balance of cheerleading and constructive criticism. I hand over my manuscripts to her, and she'll make notes and suggestions just like any other beta reader who doesn't know me personally. But she is the exception, not the rule for friends and family members.

January 27th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
Beta readers who AREN'T your friends are invaluable. There are lots of online critique groups you can join. Not only will you have your own work objectively critiqued, but you'll improve your own writing by critiquing others.

That being said, my sister is probably one of the greatest assets to my career. She provides the perfect balance of cheerleading and constructive criticism. I hand over my manuscripts to her, and she'll make notes and suggestions just like any other beta reader who doesn't know me personally. But she is the exception, not the rule for friends and family members.
I have a couple of beta readers who became my friends, so I have that problem (well, sort of) I'll be sure to find some online critique groups they'll be sure to help.

Thanks for the idea!

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
January 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I write fanfic too, for Twilight. But mine is sooo different (like the pairing wise) that I wasn't sure anyone would like it lol. But I always keep getting reviews about how great it is and how no one ever thought of Carlisle with Bella but that it's amazing how I write it.

I do think some people read fanfic because of the book its based on, but really if you don't like what the fanfic is about you're not going to read it, right?

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

January 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I write on fanfic.net as well... and I find that reviews that actually mention what they like are the best. As in someone saying.. I like how you had so in so do this... or so in so personality is so dead on, its great!

Bluebutterfly's fan fic is not only very well pieced together, her writing style is great! Totally puts Carlisle into a differnt area of my mind.. I'll tell ya that much.. which makes me ask... have you written anymore since I last read? I know you update your fic on another site.. are you still updating ff? I have you favorited.

And on fanfic.net I have critiqued a harry potter fanfic which is something I am not familar with at all.. but the writing was wonderful and the storyline was well thought out. Being someone who doesnt know anything about harry potter, I was able to follow the storyline and understand everything and that is very important to me about fanfic... i always think when i write... if the reader doesnt know this subject, can they understand it with the words I chose?

Id love to read your fanfics, I dont care of the subject matter. I just like to read lol I dont critique spelling or grammar... my spelling and grammar in my fan fics are meant to be that way. I write the way my characters would talk and alot of people have judged me on that.. but I dont care, I write for me no one else. My friend who loves my story made me put it on fanfic.net and i have rave reviews and its far from finished. lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 28th, 2010, 12:27 AM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacup Addict View Post

Bluebutterfly's fan fic is not only very well pieced together, her writing style is great! Totally puts Carlisle into a differnt area of my mind.. I'll tell ya that much.. which makes me ask... have you written anymore since I last read? I know you update your fic on another site.. are you still updating ff? I have you favorited.
Thank you so much for the compliment! I updated on the 13th with chapter 12. Now if only I could focus to finish chapter 13, but Carlisle keeps distracting me lol.

When are you updating? I look all the time for new chapters.

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

January 28th, 2010, 01:06 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
OMg I bet I havent checked my email since then lol Ive been seriously real life busy to get online. I will totally go read!

I updated... im not sure when not too long ago..... I will update again soon. I have tons of chapters written and ready to post but I post them slowly to get reviews, the story is almost done but my bff thinks I should write a sequel... so... that may happen... lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had a lot of online friend from JM read my books and they all say they love them, they help me correct grammar or other mistakes... but I wonder if they really do love them or are just saying that because we're friends.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search