Book quirks?

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you have any book quirks? Have to take the stickers off the books? Do not read books with movie covers? Won't bend the spine or pages?
February 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine is to abuse the books, I bend the spines, the pages, my books look like they've been through the war when I'm doen reading them. The only time I don't abuse them is when it's a library book or a book I borrowed from someone.

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."

Last edited by future_adoption_mommy; February 2nd, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
February 2nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Mary_Kat's Avatar Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsmith1996 View Post
Mine is to abuse the books, I bend the spines, the pages, my books look like they've been through the ward when I'm done reading them. The only time I don't abuse them is when it's a library book or a book I borrowed from someone.
^this!!
I used to be really careful with my books, not bend the spine, be careful with book jackets on hard backs etc. Then I realized I was spending almost as much time positioning the book and gingerly turning pages as I was reading! Now? book jackets get thrown aside, I bend the spine as soon as I open the cover so that the book lays nice and flat and doesn't try to close up while I'm reading it. I'm so much happier this way!
February 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bend the spines as little as possible and try to keep my books in as good of shape as I can. I never fold down the corners of the pages and it angers me when someone else does that to my books.

I will even wash my hands if I think they'll make the pages of the book oily and hate when dust jackets get oily just from clean hand fingerprints.

February 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I used to be real annoying with books and curl the corners of pages while I was reading. I've stopped that.

I think the only quirk I have now is that when I borrow books from the library, I pick the newest book available, with the least creases, rips or folds. I do that with books I buy, too.

Jenn
February 2nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I hate book jackets.. but I dont take them off... I curse them from time to time but refuse to take them off.. Im afraid one of my boys will take off with it.. lol

I dont like folding the pages of a book. I use my bookmark... and my kids tend to steal my book mark and that irriates me to no end!!! I freak out when they even come near the book cuz I know they'll steal my bookmark. its a cat.. and it clips on the top, its legs are the part that keeps your page... they think its a toy! Best gift my MIL ever gave me, that cat bookmark lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
February 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacup Addict View Post
I hate book jackets.. but I dont take them off... I curse them from time to time but refuse to take them off.. Im afraid one of my boys will take off with it.. lol

I dont like folding the pages of a book. I use my bookmark... and my kids tend to steal my book mark and that irriates me to no end!!! I freak out when they even come near the book cuz I know they'll steal my bookmark.
Omg this is sooo me too lol. You said exactly what I was going to say.

I also have a habit of reading the last page and a part in the middle before I can start a book. I have no idea why. One of my friend said he'd like to take apart a book I'm reading and only hand me one chapter at a time so I can't "cheat" lol

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

February 3rd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I dont like folding the pages of a book. I use my bookmark... and my kids tend to steal my book mark and that irriates me to no end!!! I freak out when they even come near the book cuz I know they'll steal my bookmark. its a cat.. and it clips on the top, its legs are the part that keeps your page... they think its a toy! Best gift my MIL ever gave me, that cat bookmark lol
For the life of me, I cannot use a bookmark. As a known booklover, I've gotten quite a few beautiful bookmarks. I've tried using them,but I always forget to move them to the last page that I read. So when I go back to the book, it's never in the right place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebutterfly View Post
I also have a habit of reading the last page and a part in the middle before I can start a book. I have no idea why. One of my friend said he'd like to take apart a book I'm reading and only hand me one chapter at a time so I can't "cheat" lol
LOL Thanks for the idea for a new topic! Do you still read the book if you don't like the last page or is it just so you know what happens?

Jenn
February 3rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I still read it and yeah sometimes it ruins the book if there's two characters fighting for another one, but I can't help myself! lol

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

February 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebutterfly View Post
Omg this is sooo me too lol. You said exactly what I was going to say.

I check the last page just to see how many pages it is.. but I make sure not to read anything! I like to know how many pages so I know when im half way done.. im weird.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetybabies View Post
For the life of me, I cannot use a bookmark. As a known booklover, I've gotten quite a few beautiful bookmarks. I've tried using them,but I always forget to move them to the last page that I read. So when I go back to the book, it's never in the right place!
I take my bookmark out of the book.. and its almost like a comb... I slip it into my hair.. lmao. so I dont lose it and I clip it to the top of the book when i need to put it down for a minute.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
February 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I take my bookmark out of the book.. and its almost like a comb... I slip it into my hair.. lmao. so I dont lose it and I clip it to the top of the book when i need to put it down for a minute.
Oh, I don't lose the bookmark. I slip it in another page, so it's not in the way of the page I am reading. Then when my reading is interrupted, I just close the book and forget to move the bookmark to that page.

Jenn

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search