My Sister's Keeper

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
rubyredslipperz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies, I'm not sure if this has been a topic here before but... I saw the movie when it first came out on DVD and I had no idea that it was a book too Oops! It was a really good movie but then I went out and got the book from the library and read it.. OMG there were so many differences! And the end!!!! I was in disbelief! Has anyone else read the book & seen the movie? What did you think?

February 3rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't seen the movie - I can't even remember the last movie I saw! - but I did read the book. I find that's the case with most movies. There's usually so many differences that I end up being disappointed.

I see that you thought it was a really good movie. How did you feel about it after you read the book? Which did you like better? The book or the movie?

Jenn
February 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
rubyredslipperz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I liked the book but the ending of that was so bittersweet & tragic compared to the end of the movie. The movie didn't even touch the problems going on with Jesse, and it didn't have Julia in it, they were in CA not RI. There were just a lot of differences! I liked the book better, but as a movie the film was good. Just not when you compare it to the book.

I say that about Twilight too, people who havent read the book say it's such a good movie, and granted for movies it's great! But when you compare it to the book they just totally chopped it up.. but that JMO I guess..

February 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've heard negative reviews about Twilight, too. But New Moon is supposed to be great!

Jenn
February 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Havent seen it but now I wont watch it til I read the book! lol

And as for Twlight.. omg... hated the movie.... loved New Moon.. just cuz.. well.. I think my icons explain my reasoning.. but...that said.. it still wasnt as good as the book!!!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
February 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't watched My Sister's Keeper yet and am not sure if I am going to. I sat cried for an hour after I read the book and a friend of mine told me that the ending isn't the same at all in the movie. So I am not sure if I want to go watch something that is going to ruin the emotions I felt while reading it.

February 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc0827 View Post
So I am not sure if I want to go watch something that is going to ruin the emotions I felt while reading it.
I agree. Ideally, I would like a movie to reflect what I've read in a book. Not be something different.

Jenn
February 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've read the book and seen the movies, I think the movie is good, for a movie, just not when compared to the book. I've found that's common when books become movies.

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
February 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I was really disappointed with how they ended the movie.

February 4th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
I was really disappointed with how they ended the movie.
I know, I actually cried after reading the book, after the movie ended I was like "is that it?"

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
February 5th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, it really sounds like they ruined the movie, from the book perspective. I was thinking this was a movie I was going to see down the road when it came out on cable - aye or nay?

Jenn
February 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
It's still worth watching. I'm not sorry that I saw it in theaters.

February 5th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
It's still worth watching. I'm not sorry that I saw it in theaters.
It's a good movie from a moive perspective, just when compared to the book it's very different.

February 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Arya's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read the book first and then saw the movie. While I was watching it, I was so looking forward to the ending, because silly me, I knew how the book ended. I was so disappointed that we didn't get the same ending. I was wanting my DH to have the same reaction to the ending as I did while I was reading the book, but that's not what we got. I did like the rest of the movie, it made me cry in couple of places. But the book is way better
February 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, ladies! I'll make sure not to re-read the book before watching the movie.

Jenn

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search