Writers: Does it make you paranoid?

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
To post your stuff online?

I'm just so afraid that if I post some of my stuff online that someone will 'steal' it. I've even been a little paranoid to send it into an editor/publishing house and then after being rejected see the idea that I've worked so hard on under someone else's name... anyone else, or am I being overly dramatic about this?

I've got my first manuscript almost completed and I want to get it edited/critiqued before I send it in, any suggestions on where to go and what steps to take?
Raean, 32 - wife to Colby, 38 (6.25.16) & mom to Chloe (1.31.03) & Savanna (8.26.05), TTC #3!

February 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think that you are being overly dramatic at all. I would be paranoid, too, about letting others steal your work and claiming it for their own. I think if you send your work to a reputable enough editor/publishing house, you have less to worry about?

Jenn
February 3rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking that too Jenn thanks Do you know any ways to cut the costs of editing though? I have a manuscript that's not even done yet and it's almost at 116,000 words and most places charge $.02-$.06 a word.. that really creeps up there! I saw you mention something about a writers critique group on another post, are they the same thing?
Raean, 32 - wife to Colby, 38 (6.25.16) & mom to Chloe (1.31.03) & Savanna (8.26.05), TTC #3!

February 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, that wasn't me. I think this is the post you were referring to:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f6...-question.html (Writers; a question)

Hopefully, one of the other ladies will chime in and be able to help you!

Jenn
February 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I dont have any editing advice.. but I can tell you a cheap way to copyright that holds up in court if you ever need it.

Take your manuscript... print it. put it in an evelope and send it to yourself or someone you trust. keep the envelope, without opening it. the date is stamped on the outside you'd be able to proove you wrote it before anyone else did.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
February 4th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacup Addict View Post
Take your manuscript... print it. put it in an evelope and send it to yourself or someone you trust. keep the envelope, without opening it. the date is stamped on the outside you'd be able to proove you wrote it before anyone else did.
Wow, that's a great idea! A great, inexpensive idea!

Jenn
February 4th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh sorry, that wasn't you oops! Thanks for the advice ladies! And that's a really good idea for copywriting!

February 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm paranoid too. The only thing I did before letting other online friends read it was too put it into a read only type pdf file with a password and made it so nobody could copy or print it.

However, I'm sure it can be hacked. I just hope that nobody I ever sent my stuff to is that horrible of a person.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
February 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I don't worry about it for a few reasons. Mostly though, no idea is original. If someone takes an idea I have for a project and we both write our own manuscripts, they're still going to be completely different. I've even seen publishing houses buy two books at the same time that have (coincidentally) the same premise.

I post in a share your work section of a writers forum, and I post stuff on my blog. With both of those, it's easy to prove the work is mine because it's dated and time stamped. All intellectual property is already copyrighted, so I haven't found a need to take additional steps.

Regarding online critiquing groups, you do have to have a certain amount of blind trust. That being said, I've never personally heard of anyone having their work stolen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search