The Da Vinci Code

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved it, but I know a lot of people were offended by the ideas that it presented. My basic thoughts on the religious aspect are two-fold. First, no one alive today was actually there to know what truly went on. Secondly, "The Da Vinci Code" is a work of fiction, he took liberties where he needed them to fit his story (I saw a special where even the authors of the research he used said that he stretched some of what they said a lot). But for me, it just confirmed some of my already implanted views on religion, and provided an enjoyable read.

Since you liked this one, you will probably like "Angels & Demons" as well.

March 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM
jamie1005's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved Da Vinci Code and agree that Angels and Demons is good too. That one also has Michael Landon (is that his name? read it over a year ago lol) Dan Brown's other books are good too, though kind of different. Still exciting mysteries, but different plots and characters. The books are "Digital Fortress" and ... um ... I can't remember the other! lol My mom bought my BF a book for Christmas called "Breaking the Code" which tells you all about the facts in the book. There is also a pictorial version of Da Vinci Code that is really cool that I want to get!

</div>
March 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
Fantastic book.

I had no problem with the idea that he stretched a lot of his information to make it an entertaining read. I think he succeeded very well in doing it and making the whole thing tie together. As was stated earlier, it Is a 'Fiction' book.

I read another one of his called Deception Point I believe. It, too, was phenomenal. I still need to read the Angels and Demons one. There's a third coming out involving those same characters called... Solomon... something. Solomon's Temple maybe? I can't recall.

Anyone going to see the movie The DaVinci Code when it comes out? I believe Tom Hanks is the main character. I couldn't really see that choice at first, but he is a good actor. I'm sure he can pull it off.

October 3rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
mrobinson
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.. but a friend of mine recommended those two books for me to read... Now that I've found this thread, I'm going to pick them up!
October 4th, 2005, 03:58 PM
sweetlilysmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sweetlilysmom Send a message via MSN to sweetlilysmom Send a message via Yahoo to sweetlilysmom
I just finished it and loved it!!!...And as for stretching things it still seems some what conceivable to me......I am getting ready to read his Angels and demons book, I got the special illustrated version from the library.
October 8th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I've read them both, and found them to be great books. I had to keep reminding myself when reading them that they were in fact FICTION.... even though a lot of the undertones were truths.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
ThatStaceyGirl's Avatar Oh noes!
Send a message via Yahoo to ThatStaceyGirl
I have read Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. I didn't enjoy Angels and Demons quite as much, although it was still an entertaining read. I kept in mind that the Da Vinci Code was a work of fiction so I didn't find any of it offensive. I like books that encourage the reader to take another perspective on certain issues.
Another series of books that does something similar is the Christ Clone Trilogy by James Beauseigneur.

November 9th, 2005, 09:33 AM
mrobinson
just an update... I finished Angels and Demons (LOVED IT!!) and I'm in the middle of the code... I hate work right now because I just want to read!
November 21st, 2005, 02:44 PM
mrobinson
So I finished both - Man did I just love them! So I picked up a book about Heaven... and one from Sylvia Browne... I guess I'm on a spirituality kick!
November 25th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Nov 21 2005, 04:44 PM

So I finished both - Man did I just love them! So I picked up a* book about Heaven... and one from Sylvia Browne... I guess I'm on a spirituality kick!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

I really enjoyed both of them as well. Very quick moving and interesting. I learned a lot more about the conclave after reading Angels and Demons. I read both books just before the conclave naming Pope Benedict XVI, and it was a very good catalyst for learning more about the conclave and the buildings in and around Rome. However, I do look at both books as works of fiction that do encourage some further debate and discussion regarding the subject matter.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, and although I really like Tom Hanks (The Road to Perdition was very good), I have a difficult time seeing him as Robert Langdon. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I'm sure he'll do a great job. Anne Rice, before Interview With a Vampire was made into a film, was not thrilled that Tom Cruise was going to play Lestat. She apparently retracted what she had said after seeing his portrayal. IWV is also a very good read.
November 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Originally posted by Paper-Bag-Princess@Nov 25 2005, 11:34 AM
I really enjoyed both of them as well. Very quick moving and interesting. I learned a lot more about the conclave after reading Angels and Demons. I read both books just before the conclave naming Pope Benedict XVI, and it was a very good catalyst for learning more about the conclave and the buildings in and around Rome. However, I do look at both books as works of fiction that do encourage some further debate and discussion regarding the subject matter.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, and although I really like Tom Hanks (The Road to Perdition was very good), I have a difficult time seeing him as Robert Langdon. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I'm sure he'll do a great job. Anne Rice, before Interview With a Vampire was made into a film, was not thrilled that Tom Cruise was going to play Lestat. She apparently retracted what she had said after seeing his portrayal. IWV is also a very good read.
[/quote]
I'd love to visit Rome and see it now for sure! (I've seen both side of the contraversy about it begin fiction.. Like I said to a very Christian friend of mine, just because I love Star Trek doesn't mean I worship it... I feel the same way about the two books, a great ride - but it's within the Fiction section for a reason. I find it odd that churches have come out with rebuttal books - it must have struck a nerve.)

I don't know if I can picture Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon either... but who knows, maybe he'll capture it? He is a good actor. But you know who I hope with play the knight they shack up with? Anthony Hopkins!! He can play that role and he's a knight! LOL - we'll see! I can't wait to see it. It opens on May long weekend so I'm assuming they're hoping for it to be a blockbuster.
November 25th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Quote:
I don't know if I can picture Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon either... but who knows, maybe he'll capture it? He is a good actor. But you know who I hope with play the knight they shack up with? Anthony Hopkins!! He can play that role and he's a knight! LOL - we'll see! I can't wait to see it. It opens on May long weekend so I'm assuming they're hoping for it to be a blockbuster.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/QUOTE]

yes, ita! Anthony Hopkins would be wonderful as Leah Teabing! I'm really looking forward to the movie. I'm guessing that it will be quite good.

I also really would love to go to Rome. My dh has been there, and he remarked that the pictures, in books, do no justice to the Sistine Chapel or to St. Peter's Basillica, in real life.

Sue--a fellow canuck, who is looking forward to May 2-4 already....
November 25th, 2005, 04:32 PM
mrobinson
NICE!!! You're like the first person I've been really able to chat with about them! (And a fellow canucklehead none the less!) We'll both be there front and centre apparently!!
November 26th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mrobinson@Nov 25 2005, 06:32 PM

NICE!!! You're like the first person I've been really able to chat with about them!* (And a fellow canucklehead none the less!) We'll both be there front and centre apparently!!
[/b][/quote]

and in just slightly different time zones. lol! I also got a companion reader to A&D with pics. of the statues and art surrounding the book. I'll see if I can scan some and post them(or pm you).

Sue
November 28th, 2005, 12:40 PM
mrobinson
Sweet - thanks Sue!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search