March Discussion - The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I almost dropped the ball on this one. I didn't realize until now that it's the 15th!

So here are the discussion questions for The Host. Answer any, all or none! Feel free to post your own questions or lead the discussion in a different direction.

1. Given Wanderer's reputation as a very experienced, brave, and strong soul, was it surprising to you how easily she gave in to Melanie?

2. As the story was unfolding, did you have any guesses as to why Wanderer's Seeker was so persistent, or what Wanderer's big secret was?

3. Were the humans' initial reactions to Wanderer/Melanie believable to you? Jeb's kindness? Jared's animosity? Jamie's quick love?

4. Mel insists that she would have loved Jared back when she first met him even if he were the hard, cynical person she and Wanda re-encounters in the cave. Do you agree?

5. From a soul's perspective, was it selfish of Wanda to not consider Motherhood? Why doesn't she consider it?

6. What are your thoughts on the relationship between Ian and Wanda? Did it feel natural or strange to you?

7. What did you think about the happy ending? If the story had continued on, how would you like it to play out? Would the souls eventually realize they had done something wrong in taking over the human race and leave? Would life go back to normal on planet Earth? Would some stay? Could souls and humans co-exist, intermarry, and have children? Would some humans not be able to forgive the souls and would it cause racial tension? Could souls deal with that?

8. The souls are kind, considerate, and peaceful but they lack the range of emotion felt by humans. Does a world inhabited by the souls appeal to you? Why or why not?

9. Are the Souls morally culpable for what they do to so many species in the universe? What reason do they give for taking over others' minds, and is that justifiable -- or does it essentially amount to genocide?

Jenn
March 17th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
1. Given Wanderer's reputation as a very experienced, brave, and strong soul, was it surprising to you how easily she gave in to Melanie?

I didn't see it as Wanderer giving in to Melanie as much as agreeing with Melanie and allowing Melanie to co-exist.

2. As the story was unfolding, did you have any guesses as to why Wanderer's Seeker was so persistent, or what Wanderer's big secret was?

It seemed like an obvious guess that Wanderer's secret would have to do with destroying the souls. But I had no idea why the Seeker was so persistent.

3. Were the humans' initial reactions to Wanderer/Melanie believable to you? Jeb's kindness? Jared's animosity? Jamie's quick love?

Jeb's and Jamie's reactions were believable. I had a tough time with Jared's reactions. No matter if a soul had taken over Melanie's body, I just don't understand how he could have attacked her. It was still Melanie's body no matter what.

4. Mel insists that she would have loved Jared back when she first met him even if he were the hard, cynical person she and Wanda re-encounters in the cave. Do you agree?

No b/c that would have made him a different person. If she wanted to say that she would have still lusted after him, sure, but not loved.

5. From a soul's perspective, was it selfish of Wanda to not consider Motherhood? Why doesn't she consider it?

From a soul's perspective, yes.

6. What are your thoughts on the relationship between Ian and Wanda? Did it feel natural or strange to you?

I think it's very strange. This idea of it is nice and all, this is really loving a person for who they are and not what they look like. But it's still strange.

7. What did you think about the happy ending? If the story had continued on, how would you like it to play out? Would the souls eventually realize they had done something wrong in taking over the human race and leave? Would life go back to normal on planet Earth? Would some stay? Could souls and humans co-exist, intermarry, and have children? Would some humans not be able to forgive the souls and would it cause racial tension? Could souls deal with that?

I had trouble with the ending. I understand that we didn't want to kill Wanderer. Of course not. But to take over another body just didn't seem right to me. As good as these souls were supposed to be, I would hope that they would eventually see that it was wrong to take over the human race. It was very different when they took over in other planets. Could souls and humans co-exist? Yes, but at what cost. Someone would have to give up their body. *cringe* at the idea.

8. The souls are kind, considerate, and peaceful but they lack the range of emotion felt by humans. Does a world inhabited by the souls appeal to you? Why or why not?

No. It would be very boring.

9. Are the Souls morally culpable for what they do to so many species in the universe? What reason do they give for taking over others' minds, and is that justifiable -- or does it essentially amount to genocide?

Yes, they are morally culpable. To the souls and only the souls, the end justifies the means. So no, it was not justifiable. It was genocide.

Now I have to read the fanfic that Lesha shared!

Jenn
March 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
It's been a year or so since I've read this but I'll give it a shot.

1. Given Wanderer's reputation as a very experienced, brave, and strong soul, was it surprising to you how easily she gave in to Melanie? Not really. The whole culture of the souls depends on them being non-confrontational. She was experienced, brave and strong, but she wasn't a seeker so it wasn't in her nature to fight back.

2. As the story was unfolding, did you have any guesses as to why Wanderer's Seeker was so persistent, or what Wanderer's big secret was? I don't remember being too concerned about it. I think I just figured all the seekers were like that.

3. Were the humans' initial reactions to Wanderer/Melanie believable to you? Jeb's kindness? Jared's animosity? Jamie's quick love? Jared's was the only reaction that felt believable. He believed Wanderer killed Melanie and stole her body. I liked Jeb's compassion, but it seemed unbelievable that he would have gone to such extremes to avoid the souls and then he'd be so willing to house introduce one into their little society.

I don't think Mel could really say for sure because she was making that statement after she already loved him. I understand why she said it, though. He was still Jared.

Um...I don't know? I don't remember the souls being judgmental like that.

Totally weird. I liked the dynamic but so weird.

I liked the ending. I think Meyer was trying to say co-existing was possible.

Sometimes I think it would be nice.

Genocide.

March 31st, 2010, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
[/B] Jared's was the only reaction that felt believable. He believed Wanderer killed Melanie and stole her body. I liked Jeb's compassion, but it seemed unbelievable that he would have gone to such extremes to avoid the souls and then he'd be so willing to house introduce one into their little society.
I see your point, but I felt Jared was too quick to beat Melanie's body up, without hesitation. It was Melanie's body regardless, the body of the one he loved. Even if it wasn't her soulwise, I just couldn't see how he so easily attacked her.

Jenn

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search