Favorite book(s) and why?

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
One of mine would have to be,... humm.... it would be Little Women. Every time I read that I love it. I think I just love how wonderfuly it was written. I love the characters and really even though I still enjoy the movies, they don't do it justice.

The next would be Black Arrow, by Robert Louis Stevensen. So cute! I love the history of it. The history is done so well it isn't boring, unlike Les Miserables. And it is so beautifuly written with the love story. Pick it up if you haven't read it yet. It is so good.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 17th, 2006, 07:58 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really don't have a favorite bc I love soooo many, but when I was in school and read books assigned to me, I couldn't put down Roots or The Grapes of Wrath. I don't read as many of the classics as I should--I am sure I am missing out!

May 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
amymarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to amymarie Send a message via MSN to amymarie Send a message via Yahoo to amymarie
From my childhood....I really loved the Trixie Belden series. I am in the process of collecting all the old ones now. I still pick em up every now and then and visit with her like and old friend. I also liked the Meg Mysteries.

As an adult, I love James Patterson....the women's club and Alex Cross books are my favorite...I am developing a fondness for Dean Koontz and I just read a book by Lisa Gardner I really liked. I am a sucker for romantic thrillers and suspense novels. I don't care for the wierd stuff though. Stephen King is tooooo "out there" for me.

Billy Lewis: The Heart of the Light!

<div align="center"></div>
May 19th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Pearl Buck "The Good Earth" would definately be one of my favorites.
I also like Edith Wharton's books "Summer", "The house of mirth", etc.
And I love fairy tales.

June 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM
suchablessing's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to suchablessing
My favorite books were the "Mark of the Lion" series by Francine Rivers. It's three books and I just simply adored reading them!

Soon to be first time Mommy!!

June 3rd, 2006, 03:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Momof3lads
I was given a book by my dad after not seeing him for 13 years, I was 14 when he gave me this book, it is my all time favourite, if you haven't read it I recommend it, Golden Urchin by Madeleine Brent, you won't be able to put it down, I promise!

Jay xx

<span style="color:#FF0000">My chart</span>
June 13th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Children's Books:

Silvestor and the Magic Pebble
Strega Nona
Corduroy

-These books are just wonderful; I originally read them in translation to spanish, but when they opened an English book store in Colon, I was able to get the English versions. The stories are just timeless!

Young Adult Books:

Harry Potter Series- I'm a fanatic!! Rowlings' writing is so mysterious...she can weave a story that uses every detail to its advantage.

His Dark Materials (a trilogy by Philip Pullman)- an excellent series for young adults and preteens (and adults, too!) about a girl who fights to free many worlds from the tyranny of "the church"/ "the authority". Her journey brings her into contact with wtiches, armored bears, and all sorts of wonderful characters. It is also has excellent allusions to Milton's "Paradise Lost" and many of William Blakes' works.

Adult Books (fiction):

She's Come Undone: wonderful story about a girl who is faced with loss, depression, and other hardships...I can't get over how well it is written and how it wraps you up in the story.

Ordinary People: I find myself wanting to scream at the characters at times, but this is only because it is done so well that you find yourself becoming attached from the very beginning.

Adult (nonfiction):

Birthing from Within: This book empowered me!
Protecting the Gift: a book about keeping your family safe that gives great techniques and helps you to trust your instincts.
June 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG-I loved Trixie Belden when I was a little girl! LOL.

My favorite book of all time is Gone With the Wind. I've read it 5 or 6 times and I just adore it.

I read the Anne of Green Gables series at least every other year-it makes me feel warm and fuzzy and like someone else mentioned, she is just an old familiar friend to me.

Have to say that I really enjoy a good murder mystery. James Patterson and Mary Higgins Clark are my fav modern authors.

July 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Bar none, my favourite book is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It is such a great book. It is a coming of age story, a lesson in prejudices and racism, as well as a social commentary.

Kids books:

Paper Bag Princess, The Giving Tree, and Where the Sidewalk Ends

Sue
July 15th, 2006, 09:47 PM
berrygirll's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
From my childhood....I really loved the Trixie Belden series. I am in the process of collecting all the old ones now. I still pick em up every now and then and visit with her like and old friend.[/b]
Have you read any of the Donna Parker series? I LOVE them! My mom gave me one of hers when I was younger and I loved it. While searching on ebay I discovered that there were 6 or 7 of them in total- Jackpot! I bought em all! LOL

I honestly love sooooo many kinds of books it's impossible to even narrow it down. Everything from teeny books like the Donna Parker ones or anyone remember the "Sisters" series of books? I think they were Nicole, Cindy & Molly??? Even the "Sweet Valley High" books come to mind, I loved them growing up!
Also- Stephen King, Harry Potter books, Christian fiction, Jackie Collins, VC Andrews...on and on!
Jake (16)
Sam (13)
Layla (9)
stepmom to:
Kayleigh (20)
Emilee (19)
Madison (7)

July 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Kath M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You ladies have some great ones. I'd have to agree with SCgirl on "The Good Earth". Really love To Kill a Mocking Bird and Grapes of Wrath. I also enjoyed Catcher in the Rye. But enough about classics.

Isabellamom - She's come undone is a great one.

I just finished reading Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann Ross which was excellent.

I'd have to say my all time fav. of the moment is The Secret Life of Bees

July 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM
berrygirll's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just finished reading Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann Ross which was excellent.[/b]
I love the Miss Julia series! Did you read all of them yet?

Has anyone read the Big Stone Gap books?? I love those as well!
Jake (16)
Sam (13)
Layla (9)
stepmom to:
Kayleigh (20)
Emilee (19)
Madison (7)

October 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
purplelady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
do you have a year for me to name them all?.......lol.....no .....ok just name a few.

~Stephen king~
the dark tower books
bag of bones
the stand

~Ann rice~
vampire chronicles
sleeping beauty trilogy

~john Saul~
darkness
black creek crossing

~dean Koontz~
odd Thomas
the door to December
taken
false memory
from the corner of his eye

and of course
harry potter
lemony snicket

oh man there are just so many great books out there.

mom to Tru(12), Rienn (8), Rowan (3) and twin angels: Valhalla grace & Kjartan michael 12-5-10 (due 6/20/11)
NFC west Division champions '04,'05,'06,'07
October 13th, 2006, 06:10 AM
geminigal81
Judy Blume - Summer Sisters, it is more of an adult fiction book. It was great, both my mom and I read it and re-read it. Definately recommend it.

Sue Kidd Monk - The Secret Life of Bees, again another page turner. I read it in 5 hours. My mom also was fond of this book. Definately recommend it, also.

Mitch Albom - The Five People you Meet in Heaven, just an all around great book. I have read it a couple of times.

My mom and I don't agree on a whole lot of books. But these 3 were both high on our lists of re-readable books.
October 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM
TheBooths1992's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to TheBooths1992 Send a message via MSN to TheBooths1992 Send a message via Yahoo to TheBooths1992
I can't say I have a favorite. Even though right now I have been reading Bevely Lewis Novels about the Amish in Lancaster County.I am seeing it interesting how there langauge is diffrent of ours and how they actualy lived.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search