Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2004, 07:34 PM
I Heart 4x4
Here are some theories I have dug up!! *Note, none of these were written by me, sources are linked at the bottom*

If you rearrange the letters in "Severus Snape" you get "Pursues Evans." Since Lily's last name is Evans then maybe they were both Death Eaters together? Perhaps Severus loved her?

Now that (above) could be true, And we don't really know how Harry's parents thrice foiled Voldemort. Lily may of been an undercover death eater, and James also may of been.

Lucius Malfoy and his fellow Death Eaters escape from Azkaban (Almost Certain).

Voldemort recruits Draco Malfoy and his cronies in an attempt to dispose of Harry.

Harry may try and go "Beyond the Veil" so save Sirius. In Greek mythology the gates to the "nether world" are guarded by a three headed dog. Harry knows Sirius is in the veil and he may go and try to rescue him perhaps guided by his parents.

This is a funny theory, Mrs.Weasley will become the new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher (To Ron's Horror)

Mr. Weasley will become the Minister of Magic (under the influence of Dumbledore) and apparently the only thing holding Mr.Weasley back was his fondness for muggles which Fudge frowned upon...In Book 5, Chapter 29: 'Career Advice', Ron tells Harry: "We have as much chances of winning the Quiddich Cup as my Dad of becoming Ministry of Magic" And Voila, they won the cup! I read somewhere that J.K said in an Interview that there is a key plot in this chapter and I think that is it.

Harry will buy a new wand for everyday use (what would happen if he broke his original that has the same core as Voldemorts, it would be very hard for Harry to fight without that connection) if Harry doesn't buy a new wand he better be darn careful with his original!

About Dumbledore's chocolate frog card:
When Dumbledore is having his talk with Harry at the end of The Order of the Phoenix, he mentions that members of the "Order" have a way of communicating which is much more reliable than the Floo Network. In the third or fourth chapter of the book Bill Weasley states that Dumbledore doesn't care what they do to him as long as they don't take him off of the Chocolate Frog Cards. As we know that pictures can talk in the Wizarding World, could it be possible that members of the Order of the Phoenix communicate with each other via Dumbledore's portrait on the Chocolate Frog Cards? We know that Dumbledore's card is common because Harry received 2 of them within the space of a few months after just a few frogs. Could each of the members of the "Order" have a "Dumbledore Card" which Dumbledore alone can activate using a Protean Charm which was also introduced in book 5?

Is it conceivable that they could even be used to contact Sirius if he had had one when he went through the veil?

James Potter inherited his invisibility cloak, from his grandfather who we will learn more about in Book 6. It could be that James, and now Harry, are the Heirs of Godric Gryffindor and Godric was the first owner of the cloak. The sorting hat did give Harry the sword in the Chamber of Secrets.

Harry will find a new place that is safe because of ancient magic - Godric's Hollow. Because his mother's blood was shed there, it is a safe haven for Harry. It is not a safe haven for others. Also, one of "Dumbledore's Army" may perish there.

Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson will date.

Percy will become a Death Eater. Edit from Robert: I don't think this is really going to happen. All you have to do is think about it, Percy was following Fudge, and Fudge is much against Voldemort and is obviously scared of his coming back to power. And Percy will see his wrong doings in following Fudge as he was wrong about Voldemort and he will apologize to his parents.

Mark Evans

Note: J.K.Rowling has confirmed this is false. Oh well, it was a nice idea. Mark is the guy that was beat up by Dudley. He was a ten year old. Now, what's special about him? A lot. He is a ten year old kid, one less than the age of going to Hogwarts. He has the last name of "Evans" which is the same as Lily's maiden name. (Lily Evans.) Now, where can we go from this? Mark can't be Lily's son because she would've had to have given birth to him after she died. So... we move on to another theory. When Harry saw Severus Snape in the memory, no one called him Severus or Snape. They called him Snivelly. Maybe his real name is Perseus Evans and when you rewrite it it becomes Severus Snape. Perhaps Snape is related to Lily somehow and Mark is his son.... Just a thought.

Percy

What Percy does in the next book is going to be very important, but what will it be? David Bernstein e-mailed me saying he thought he would join Voldemort. This does seem like it might happen, but first I think something else will happen. He will become confused up there with who to believe. If he stays with Fudge, he will also be staying with Dumbledore, making him on the "good" side. However, he may not choose this path. In his ambition, he could slowly come to the dark side. Realizing what Voldemort could give him, he may join him.

What is Snape doing at the end of Book 4?

This wasn't really resolved in Book 5 so I will put it here too. Snape implies he is spying in a conversation with Harry, so that does provide some evidence. Still... At the end of Book 4, Dumbledore says, "Severus, you know what I must ask you to do. If you are ready… If you are prepared…" Then, Snape responds with, "I am." After this, Rowling describes Snape as being paler than usual and Dumbledore bids Snape good luck as he leaves. This raises a very important question that will likely be answered in Book Number 5. What is Snape going to do? First off, Snape used to be a Death Eater for Voldemort. Then, before Voldemort fell, Snape turned spy against him and helped a lot. Now that Voldemort has once again risen, Snape could turn spy against Voldemort.

Before I move on with the analysis, I have to bring up something Voldemort said at the graveyard after he came back. He said, "And here we have six missing Death Eaters…three dead in my service. One, too cowardly to return…he will pay. One, who I believe has left me forever…he will be killed, of course…" The importance of this is which one is Snape and which one is Kakarof. They have both left Voldemort, but what is important is does Voldemort know that? The one that is "too cowardly to return" might still have a chance. Now, this quote can be interpreted either way. It can be thought to mean Kakarof is too cowardly to return and Snape has left him forever. But there is one thing that could counter this. Does Voldemort know that Snape turned spy? He might know. Kakarof ratted on a lot of Death Eaters, Voldemort might know about him. But does he know that Snape was a spy? He might think that he was just too scared to come back to him now. Which means that when he does, there is a chance he will be reinstated and could then continue spying on Voldemort.

So if Snape is the "coward" according to Voldemort he might be able to turn spy again. It is also obvious that Dumbledore has an idea to finally destroy Voldemort based on a mistake on his part (this can be seen by the "glimpse of triumph in his eyes") If he is not, there is something else he can do. This is "The #1 HP Fan's Theory." To quote, "It doesn't mention in GoF that Voldemort even knows that Barty Crouch Jr. is dead, maybe Snape will take the Polyjuice Potion and impersonate Crouch Jr." I don't think this is the BEST theory because of the fact that everyone will slowly find out Crouch is dead and Voldemort will find this out and be suspicious too. However, the fact that Snape spied is between Dumbledore and Snape. The rest of the wizarding world will most likely NOT find out about this. So in conclusion, I believe Snape is going back to Voldemort as a spy at the end of Book #4 and this will be evolved in Book #5.

Malfoy and his stance

David Bernstein suggests that Draco Malfoy will turn against his father. This suggests that he will perhaps be fighting for the good side. Well, I believe that Draco will never be good. However, when it comes time for him to fight with his daddy, I think he will probably chicken out and not fight. Whether he goes against his dad or not I do not know, but I know that Draco is a hell of a coward so we will see what he does

I've also read rumors that Dudley is the half-blood prince ... now THAT would be interesting.

The other thought is that Hagrid is the half-blood prince ... ("Well, Rowling does admit to connections between books 2 and 6 (although she also says the plots aren't necessarily tied, but just revelations are related), and Hagrid's past was a major issue in book 2...")

I've got another theory: Lupin will die in one of the upcoming books. Think about it. Pettigrew, one of the people who we assume wants to kill him, has a silver hand. Silver kills werewolves.

Did someone noticed where was Tonks when Sirius was "dead"??? One uf my very especial theories says that Bellatrix was indeed Tonks undercovered... And this whole theatre was planned by Mr. Albus for make Harry believe that Sirius was dead. I don't know exactly why, but they want to hide that Sirius is alive to Voldemort, because Harry and Voldy has some sort of shared mind...

Sources:
HogwartsHeir
DiagonLane
YouThink
September 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM
kikimama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kikimama Send a message via Yahoo to kikimama
"Lily may of been an undercover death eater"

I believe JKR stated on her site that she wasnt a death eater. Just an FYI!
September 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM
I Heart 4x4
Quote:
Originally posted by kikimama@Sep 5 2004, 09:01 PM
"Lily may of been an undercover death eater"

I believe JKR stated on her site that she wasnt a death eater. Just an FYI!
Yeah I don't think she was, either. If she was, you'd have thought You-Know-Who would have WANTED to kill her for insubordination and for being a traitor.

Just a theory I ran across though!
September 6th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Of course, I don't have the book in front of me, and it may or may not apply, but I gave my nephew a book of saints for his first communion and as his father is a major HP fan, he found an entry on "Saint Severus" in there. I VAGUELY recall it saying somethign that could potentially be quite important. I will call and try to have my sister find it for me this week.

*this was a really helpful post wasn't it *

September 6th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I Heart 4x4
Quote:
Originally posted by Selestial@Sep 6 2004, 01:36 PM
Of course, I don't have the book in front of me, and it may or may not apply, but I gave my nephew a book of saints for his first communion and as his father is a major HP fan, he found an entry on "Saint Severus" in there. I VAGUELY recall it saying somethign that could potentially be quite important. I will call and try to have my sister find it for me this week.

*this was a really helpful post wasn't it *
Quite on the contrary, m'dear.

I dug this up after seeing this:

http://whysnape.tripod.com/languages.htm

On the above site ...

Quote:
Severus Piton
Italian - Italy
Pronunciation: pi as in see
Piton: the right spelling is pitone which means a python.(I guess they changed the spelling to make it look more like a family name!)[/b]
Quote:
Severus Slur
Norwegian - Norway
Slur : 2 potential meaning
a) might be a combination of the Norwegian words "slu" and "lur", which both translate as cunning.
B) if you remove the letter L of slur, you get "sur" which means both sour and grumpy[/b]
Quote:
Severus Kalkaros
Finnish - Finland
Kalkaros: pronounced as written (a-letters as in "arm") Comes from the word "kalkkarokäärme"* which means rattlesnake[/b]
St. Severus of Gaul

and also ...

St. Severus of Avranches

While there is also ... Septimius Severus (193-211 A.D.)

The importance of all this? We're yet to see, we're yet to see ...
September 6th, 2004, 05:20 PM
No, whatever this book said about St. Severus it had something to do with (and I'm not going to get this right, but I think its close) fighting a demon for God and dying a martyr. Like I said I know that isn't exactly right, but it was something weird like that. Basically my thoughts at the time were that ultimately Snape will sacrifice himself to save Harry, thus also repaying the blood debt owed for when Harry's dad saved Snape's life.

September 7th, 2004, 05:46 AM
I Heart 4x4
Quote:
Originally posted by Selestial@Sep 6 2004, 06:20 PM
No, whatever this book said about St. Severus it had something to do with (and I'm not going to get this right, but I think its close) fighting a demon for God and dying a martyr. Like I said I know that isn't exactly right, but it was something weird like that. Basically my thoughts at the time were that ultimately Snape will sacrifice himself to save Harry, thus also repaying the blood debt owed for when Harry's dad saved Snape's life.
Honestly, I think I have skimmed that over somewhere. Later on today I will do some more researching. Let me get back to you on this.
September 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I Heart 4x4
According to HalfBloodPrince.info ... here are some other theories:

Harry Has the Shortest Summer Stay Yet at Privet Drive
Quote:
Asked in an online chat: Will poor Harry be stuck at the Dursleys' all next summer?
J.K. Rowling: Not all summer, no. In fact, he has the shortest stay in Privet Drive so far.[/b]
The wizarding world is "really at war again" and Muggles are noticing more and more odd happenings now that Voldemort's back.
Quote:
Asked in an online chat: Regarding Harry's subconscious feelings, how [have they] changed from book one to book five?
J.K. Rowling: Well he's obviously been through a lot since book one and book five was the book when he cracked up a little. In book six, the wizarding world is really at war again and he has to master his own feelings to make himself useful.

Are the Muggle and Magical worlds ever going to be rejoined?
J.K. Rowling: No, the breach was final, although as book six shows, the Muggles are noticing more and more odd happenings now that Voldemort's back.[/b]
We'll learn more about the circumstances of Voldemort's birth.
Quote:
Asked in an online chat: Was Voldemort born evil?
J.K. Rowling: I don't believe that anybody was born evil. You will find out more about the circumstances of his birth in the next book.[/b]
Moaning Myrtle, one of Hogwarts' many ghosts, may play a role.
Quote:
The miserable, moping Moaning Myrtle may return in book six. She played an important role in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (book 2), and author J.K. Rowling has implied Chamber of Secrets and Half-Blood Prince are somehow related. Voldemort's basilisk killed Myrtle in a bathroom when they were in school together.
Asked in an online chat: Will we see Moaning Myrtle again?
J.K. Rowling: Oh yes, I love Myrtle, I couldn't shut her out for long.

I find Moaning Myrtle is the saddest character in your books, inspiring a mixture of revulsion and pity. Does she play any further part?
J.K. Rowling: You do see her again. Don't you like her? I know she's a bit revolting, but that's why I'm so fond of her.[/b]
Narcissa Malfoy will likely play a bigger role now that Lucius is locked away.
Quote:
Deatheater Lucius Malfoy's wife (and Draco Malfoy's mother) Narcissa will play a larger role in Half-Blood Prince now that her husband is locked up.
Asked in an online chat: Will we see more of Narcissa Malfoy now that Lucius is unavailale?
J.K. Rowling: Yes, you will. [/b]
We'll find out what Dudley Dursley saw when he faced the Dementors in the street in book 5.
Quote:
Dementors descended upon Dudley Dursley in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, before Harry rescued him. What exactly did he see that was so horrible?
Asked in an online chat: What did Dudley see when he faced the Dementors in book five?
J.K. Rowling: Ah, good question. You'll find out![/b]
Wormtail (a.k.a Peter Pettigrew), who was largely absent in book 5, will reappear.
Quote:
This assistant to Lord Voldemort (and one of Harry's father's old school friends), who was largely absent from book 5, will reappear in Half-Blood Prince.
Asked in an online chat: What about Wormtail? Is there hope for redemption?
J.K. Rowling: There's always hope, of course. You'll find out more about our rat-like friend in book six.

What happened to [Wormtail]?
J.K. Rowling: You'll find out in book six.

Will Lord Voldemort get more 'screentime' in the upcoming books?
J.K. Rowling: You will see him again, but like most evil dictators, he prefers his henchmen to do his dirty work.[/b]
Harry might see some more romance.
Quote:
Harry dated Cho Chang briefly in Order of the Phoenix (book 5). Will he have the time or energy to date again in Half-Blood Prince?
Asked in an online chat: Will Harry fall for another girl in book six, or will he be too busy for romance?
J.K. Rowling: He'll be busy, but what's life without a little romance?[/b]
A new Minister of Magic will be instated.
Quote:
After Cornelius Fudge's bumbling and downright dangerous handling of Voldemort's return to power, a new Minister of Magic will be instated in Half-Blood Prince.
Asked in an online chat: Is there going to be a new Minister of Magic in the next books?
J.K. Rowling: Yes. Ha! ("Finally, a concrete bit of information," I hear you cry!)[/b]
A graveyard on Hogwarts' grounds will be featured.
Quote:
In an interview about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, director Alfonso Cuarón said that J.K. Rowling told him not to use a graveyard scene in that movie because it would've been in the wrong place, and it plays an important role in book six:
Question: What was it like meeting JK, what was her advice like?
Alfonso: She [Rowling] said I should stay faithful to the spirit of the book not literal. That was entrusting me a lot of freedom. But freedom and responsibility is the same thing - I was like 'oh gosh - am I being faithful to the spirit?'

The amazing thing with JK as a collaborator is she doesn't stop you doing anything. The way she approaches it has nothing to do with 'I like' or 'I dislike' it's 'this makes sense' or 'it doesn't make sense in this universe.'

I give you an example: There's a scene where Malfoy wants to see Buckbeak being executed. It's where Hermione punches him. And there's a sundial. We thought we need something there. I said 'Let's put a graveyard there'.

She says: 'No, you can't have a graveyard there'. And I'm like, 'Why?' She says: 'Oh because the graveyard is near this other wing of the castle and it's going to play an important part in number six because such and such and such.'
[/b]
Assumptions
Quote:
So far, the books in the Harry Potter series have followed a fairly predictible pattern, and if tradition continues, we could see the following set of events unfold:

* Harry will hear about or meet the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher sometime before the start of term.
* A new Sorting Hat song will be heard at the Hogwarts welcoming feast. We'll also meet the new DADA teacher, and learn whether the outcast centaur Firenze will join Professor Sibyll Trelawney in teaching Divination.
* At the end of the school year, Harry will find himself in another confrontation with Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters.[/b]
Hagrid's half-brother Grawp becomes more controllable
Quote:
Rubeus Hagrid visited with his long-estranged Giant brethren in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, in an attempt to recruit them to battle Voldemort. When "talks" broke down, Hagrid returned to Hogwarts with his half-brother Grawp, a rather unruly creature.
Asked in an online chat: What will happen to Hagrid's half-brother?
J.K. Rowling: You'll find out in book six. Luckily he's become a little more controllable. [/b]

SOURCES for JK Rowling Quotes: CBBC Interview and also an Online Chat Transcript

Also Quoted: HP Lexicon
September 12th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Okay, I am really tired right now, so I'm not sure if this is going to make any sense or not. Just re-read book 1 and there was a part in there where Voldemort tells Harry "Your mother didn't have to die" that she got in the way protecting Harry. I started thinking about that and the anagrams with Severus Snape...

Anyway, what if is is supposed to be "pursues Evans" meaning he had a thing for her. (I vaguely recall something in book 5 that made me think this also). If he did have a thing for her, he may have tried to save her by asking Voldemort to "give" her to him rather than kill her.

I don't know ... once again the ramblings of a too tired brain.

September 12th, 2004, 04:28 PM
I Heart 4x4
I too, have thought about the possibility that Snape liked Lily.

More than likely, this is the deep down reason why good ol' Snivelly and James didn't get along ... Snape knew he had to chance with Lily after she and James got together in their 7th year.

Do you guys realize that they were only 20 when they died? They got married and got pregnant with Harry soon after graduating from Hogwarts ...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search