Books into Movies: February edition

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Here are the movies out this month! What looks good to you?

Big Miracle
Cast: Kristen Bell, Drew Barrymore, John Krasinski, Dermot Mulroney
Director: Ken Kwapis
Rating: PG
Release Date: February 3rd
Based on: FREEING THE WHALES by Thomas Rose

Inspired by the true story that captured the hearts of people across the world, the rescue adventure Big Miracle tells the amazing tale of a small town news reporter (John Krasinski) and an animal-loving volunteer (Drew Barrymore) who are joined by rival world superpowers to save a family of majestic gray whales trapped by rapidly forming ice in the Arctic Circle.

Local newsman Adam Carlson (Krasinski) can’t wait to escape the northern tip of Alaska for a bigger market. But just when the story of his career breaks, the world comes chasing it, too. With an oil tycoon, heads of state and hungry journalists descending upon the frigid outpost, the one who worries Adam the most is Rachel Kramer (Barrymore). Not only is she an outspoken environmentalist, she’s also his ex-girlfriend.

With time running out, Rachel and Adam must rally an unlikely coalition of Inuit natives, oil companies and Russian and American military to set aside their differences and free the whales. As the world’s attention turns to the top of the globe, saving these endangered animals becomes a shared cause for nations entrenched against one another and leads to a momentary thaw in the Cold War.

The Woman in Black
Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Ciarán Hinds, Janet McTeer
Director: James Watkins
Rating: PG-13
Release Date: February 3rd
Based on: THE WOMAN IN BLACK by Susan Hill

Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe), a widowed lawyer whose grief has put his career in jeopardy, is sent to a remote village to sort out the affairs of a recently deceased eccentric. But upon his arrival, it soon becomes clear that everyone in the town is keeping a deadly secret. Although the townspeople try to keep Kipps from learning their tragic history, he soon discovers that the house belonging to his client is haunted by the ghost of a woman who is determined to find someone and something she lost… and no one, not even the children, are safe from her vengeance.

The Vow
Cast: Rachel McAdams, Channing Tatum, Jessica Lange
Director: Michael Sucsy
Rating: PG-13
Release Date: February 10th
Based on: True events, now published as a book: THE VOW: The True Events that Inspired the Movie by Kim Carpenter, Krickitt Carpenter, Dana Wilkerson

A newlywed couple recovers from a car accident that puts the wife in a coma. Waking up with severe memory loss, her husband endeavors to win her heart again.

The Secret World of Arrietty
Voice Cast: Bridgit Mendler, Amy Poehler, Carol Burnett, Will Arnett, David Henrie, Moises Arias
Director: Hiromasa Yonebayashi
Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
MPAA Rating: G
Release Date: February 17th
Based on: THE BORROWERS by Mary Norton

Residing quietly beneath the floorboards are little people who live undetected in a secret world to be discovered, where the smallest may stand tallest of all. From the legendary Studio Ghibli ("Spirited Away," "Ponyo") comes "The Secret World of Arrietty," an animated adventure based on Mary Norton's acclaimed children's book series The Borrowers.

Arrietty (voice of Bridgit Mendler), a tiny but tenacious 14-year-old, lives with her parents (voices of Will Arnett and Amy Poehler) in the recesses of a suburban garden home, unbeknownst to the homeowner and her housekeeper (voice of Carol Burnett). Like all little people, Arrietty (AIR-ee-ett-ee) remains hidden from view, except during occasional covert ventures beyond the floorboards to "borrow" scrap supplies like sugar cubes from her human hosts. But when 12-year-old Shawn (voice of David Henrie), a human boy who comes to stay in the home, discovers his mysterious housemate one evening, a secret friendship blossoms. If discovered, their relationship could drive Arrietty's family from the home and straight into danger. The English language version of "The Secret World of Arrietty" was executive produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall, and directed by Gary Rydstrom.

Jenn
February 4th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol--I am out of the movie loop and didn't know any of these were coming but now I want to see them all
February 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
i want to see the woman in black so very bad. dh andi were going to go friday afternoon but he was just too busy to leave work for that long of time. hopefully this week i also want to see the vow.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

February 7th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The Vow sounds good. I think I might read the book.

We read The Borrowers last year. I think Ty might be interested in seeing that.

Jenn
February 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Alaska-Su's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wanna see The Vow and the Miyazaki movie. I watched The Borrowers when I was a kid (the one with Tom Felton who played Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter) and loved it and Miyazaki does such wonderful films. I never read the book, though.

Thanks Tasha_Mae for my siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search