Non fiction ideas

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cheezpoofs
  • 1 Post By Hazel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Veteran
I am a huge Non Fiction reader does anyone have anything they have read lately? I would like some new ideas.

May 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran
Have you read "A Child Called It?"
May 19th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran
yes I have it was so sad. Do you enjoy non fiction also? Sometimes I feel like I am the only person who prefers reality to fantasy lol. I just read Diary of Anne Frank again for like the 50th time. Everytime I feel like the world isnt fair to me it helps to see what little I have to complain about!!

May 19th, 2012, 06:10 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A Child Called "It" is always my first recommendation on nonfiction... Other good non-fiction books I've read are Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent, Lady's Hands, Lion's Heart: A Midwife's Saga by Carol Leonard, Real Gorgeous: The Truth Behind Body and Beauty by Kaz Cooke, Tears of Rage by John Walsh, Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir by Dave Mustaine, The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (I enjoy True Crime novels), A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard, and Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson.
ajstout likes this.

May 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bryce Coutenay has a memoir about his son that I highly recommend-- April Fools Day
ajstout likes this.
May 22nd, 2012, 06:10 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
My absolute all-time favorite is Wild Swans by Jung Chang. The author is a Chinese-British woman, and she tells the life stories of her grandmother, and then her mother, and then herself. Basically, you get to see the entire history of China in the twentieth century through the eyes of these three women. It's a really, really fascinating read. Highly recommended.

Some of my other favorites are The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lax by Rebecca Skloot, and absolutely anything by Jon Krakauer. (Most especially Where Men Win Glory: the Odyssey of Pat Tillman. )

Right now I am reading Jesus, Interrupted by Bart D. Ehrman. It's written by a scholar of the New Testament, and it's kind of an expose of all of the facts about early Christianity/the Bible that aren't taught in the mainstream Christian Church. It's a fascinating read, but it definitely takes an anti-mainstream Christian bent, so watch out if that's not your cup of tea.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
May 22nd, 2012, 06:34 AM
Veteran
You ladies have such great ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much

May 22nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another of my favorite non-fiction reads is Isaac's Storm, about the hurricane that did so much damage in Galveston in the early 1900s. Fascinating read. I am currently reading a history of Niagara Falls but haven't had time to finish it yet. So far I am learning a lot of interesting little facts

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search