Focus On...Horror

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Do you usually like horror, ghost stories/books, paranormal fiction?

Any favourite authors in this genre?

Any recommended books or stories in this genre?

February 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I don't really read horror or even ghost stories. But I do have one on Ontario Ghost Stories...and have been to some of the haunted places! But its not one of my favourite genres.
Surprise baby! due 3/27/2017

Save
Save
Save
February 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a wuss so no horror or scary stories for me! I dont watch any horror films either - they give me bad dreams (yep seriously, at 26!)

The scariest thing i've read is probably the last couple of HP books!

February 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
I don't do scary.. hence why I said before I can't read Anne Rice.

I do read a lot of books that focus on the paranormal.. in the sense of Vampires, Werewolves and Witches... but they aren't scary. The Hallows series by Kim Harrison is a particular favorite. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (as well as her Bloodlines books), The House of Night by PC Cast, Thirst by Christopher Pike (I read the initial books in this series in 6th grade ), Night World by LJ Smith (again, an 6th grade beginning for that series).

February 27th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I've read the odd horror story that's been recommended to me. I loved Stephen King's The Green Mile and James Herbert's The Magic Cottage. But it's not a genre I pick over and over and I've tried to read more and just not got into them at all. I do like true life ghost stories and have a couple of compilations I've picked up at car boot sales.

February 27th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really read horror. I did love [B]The Dead Zone[B] by Stephen King but that wasn't really a horror horror book. A little supernatural, a bit creepy, but not full-on horror
February 28th, 2013, 01:13 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read a little horror. The books I've liked most tend to be Young Adult books: the Forbidden Game trilogy by L.J. Smith (Didn't really care for Nightworld, though. Found it unoriginal and dull.), and the Everworld series by K.A. Applegate are the best. The Green Mile and Delores Claiborne by Stephen King, Hannibal by Thomas Harris, The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (I liked True Crime for a long time.) are also decent and I still occasionally read a horror book here and there.

I used to really love horror as a kid; read Goosebumps religiously and moved up to Point Horror and Fear Street and the like as I got older and then moved on to True Crime. Now, though it is a genre I read as often as any other, I'd guess; it isn't one I consider a strong favorite.

February 28th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I guess you could say I read a lot of horror since practically the only books I have for my kindle apps are about zombies. I really like Stephen King's short stories but don't care as much for the full length novels. Dean Koontz also writes a lot of horror and he's one of my favorites.

I would suggest Life Among the Dead by Daniel Cotton for horror, and the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews for Paranormal. The Forever Girl by Rebecca Hamilton is really good so far as well, which is paranormal romance. As far as ghost stories go, I remember reading the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series as a kid and really loving them. Haven't read them in a while though.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
March 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
paranormal absolutly - almost anything paranormal but mostly YA. My blog is Paranormal books - mostly.

Horror? depends really. Ann Rice and JK Hamilton if they count as horror. i mostly count them in paranormal, though they do show up in the horror section of books stores.

iv never read stephan king. i do want to read the shining once to check it out.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

March 14th, 2013, 11:11 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
Do you usually like horror, ghost stories/books, paranormal fiction? - Yes, if done right. Prefer the movies though.

Any favourite authors in this genre? Dean Koontz

Any recommended books or stories in this genre? Well if you're going for gore-horror and disturbing imagery - Richard Laymon. For off-kilter stuff that keeps you wondering what's coming next - Dean Koontz

I'm currently reading The Exorcist!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search