When you were a child...

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2013, 07:00 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you love to read?

Did you go to the library often?

Did you write stories?

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 12th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Veteran
Yes, yes, and yes!

I used to have to barter with my sister. I'd go clothes shopping with her (which I HATED) if she'd go to the library with me (which she hated). I would spend hours finding books and hours reading!

Now my 8-yr-old is following in my footsteps. I LOVE taking her to the used bookstore. Just wish we had more money to spend on books...
March 13th, 2013, 08:43 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
Did you love to read? Yes!

Did you go to the library often? Definitely!

Did you write stories? Yes, I did. I still write stories. I went to school for writing.
March 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you love to read? Yes

Did you go to the library often? Yes

Did you write stories? No

March 13th, 2013, 01:46 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved to read! My mom took my sisters and I to the library every Saturday, and we'd all spend hours here, and take home stacks of books. I do remember writing little stories, too. My mom still has many of them saved--I'd like to get them from her at some point.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 13th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Yes to all 3!

I remember being really excited when I got to age 11 and was allowed 5 books out of the library instead of 3! I must have read pretty much every children's book aimed at girls and every teen book as well!

I've been considering re-joining the library though it would probably be a better thing to do in the winter as during the summer months I like browsing and picking up books at the car boot sales.

I wrote all sorts of stories and poems as well. I more write poems and non-fiction now. I wrote a very long story personifying my pet cat one time. I even remember quite a few of the details from it! I wish I still had notebooks with my stories. I bet some of them could actually be made into something for others to read. I don't know what happened to them all, I don't remember throwing them away.

March 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Did you love to read? Yes! I was that kid with the flashlight under the covers

Did you go to the library often? The school library at least once a week, the public library occasionally

Did you write stories? No, but I was always doing a newspaper It was funny because at our tables at our wedding, I made a newspaper (the P____ Press) to introduce all the members of the wedding party, how DH and I met, how he proposed, messages from our parents, and some games to keep people occupied during the cocktail hour and in case we went late. My sisters said in their speech it was only natural given the writing I used to do as a child

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Did you love to read? Oh yes. Yes, yes, yes!

Did you go to the library often? Yes!

Did you write stories? I created wonderful stories in my head. Rarely wrote them down.

March 14th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes to all three I didn't really go to the library until I read everything at home--my father bought lots of books when I was born and I read them all by the time I was eight. I may not have understood all of what I read but I loved the rhythms of the prose and the way the authors used language. Then I started going to the local library. It was tucked into the old City Hall building--the library on one side and the fire house on the other. The children's section was just as you came in the door and to get to the rest of the library you had to walk past the little old ladies who ran the library. I wanted to continue reading the authors I had just finished at home but they weren't in the children's section and the librarians were horrified that I wanted to go into the adult section my parents had to tell them to let me be and it was fine if I wanted to check out grown up books I did read plenty of kid books, too, but it still made them nervous when I went past the counter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search