are your kids good readers?

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Hazel
  • 1 Post By Hazel
  • 2 Post By Hazel
  • 2 Post By meant2bemommie
  • 1 Post By Rachel
  • 1 Post By Hazel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2013, 01:35 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
did they start early?

did they have trouble getting into books?

what do you do to help get them involved in a book?

im a HUGE reader and my twins see me reading all the time but sometimes they have a hard time wanting to read. ugh im trying not to push them much but i do gently give a little nudge. once they pick up a book and start reading it, they have a hard time putting it down. especially Carter. boys. geesh.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

October 22nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no Only my 8yo knows how to read so far and it is so so so hard for him--he really struggles. He sees a psychologist for ADHD/anxiety and the therapist is pretty sure he has a learning disability. I got the psychologist's official report from the screenings he did with S tonight at our session and will be bringing it to the school to get the testing underway. Kid LOVES to be read to, though, and is a master at comprehension and engaging the story. he just can't quite do it himself!
Bella Nyxe likes this.
October 23rd, 2013, 02:25 PM
do you get the books on cd for him or the audio books for an mp3 player or kindle (type)?

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

October 24th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I read to him--he has too many questions and comments for books on tape ;-) whenever we do them, we are constantly stopping them to discuss lol
Bella Nyxe likes this.
November 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM
Thats always a good thing.

Both boys still like when I read to them. They will be ten. i love talking books with them

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

November 5th, 2013, 08:53 PM
It's nice that my oldest is getting into longer stories--more interesting for me
Bella Nyxe and Spider123 like this.
November 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM
yeah Im liking the longer books too. the rhymeing was on its way to getting really old.

although I do kinda miss a few books

what is your oldest into right now?

Carter has recently picked up BONES and reece is into the riplys books.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

November 15th, 2013, 08:17 PM
meant2bemommie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest is 10 and he likes to read. My 8 year old struggles as well as my 6 year old. I still read to all of them. It is just nice family time.
Bella Nyxe and Spider123 like this.
November 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
My boys hate reading. My daughter is an avid reader like me.
Bella Nyxe likes this.
November 16th, 2013, 01:50 PM
My oldest loves the Magic Treehouse books. Right now we are reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (my four and two year old are also listening in on this one) and Farmer Boy. When the 8yo reads to me, he likes the Fly Guy books and the Biscuit books. He is also a big fan of the LEGO books--doesn't matter what they are as long as they are lego )
Bella Nyxe likes this.
December 22nd, 2013, 03:59 AM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
No.

I don't remember not knowing how to read, so I have to go by my parents' memory. They say I was three. My father absolutely forbid my mother from "teaching" me because he thought I would have trouble "fitting in" at school if I was that different from the other kids, but there was no way of stopping me. I do remember school as "that horrible place where they wouldn't let me read" and I did completely wreck my eyes reading by the light of the street light a block away after bedtime, but that seems like such a small price to pay.

I couldn't understand why my kids didn't feel the same way. dd1 is a bookworm, but that's entirely her father and stepmother's doing so I can't take credit for anything but the genes. dd2 was disgustingly average: letter of the week in kindy, Bob books in 1st grade, then rapidly progressing from Henry and Mudge and Mr. Putter and Tabby to Babysitter's Club. My library didn't have Babysitter's Club so I spent more money on those fluffy paperbacks than I did on my car.

She's a philosophy major now and reads some fairly heavy stuff, but that didn't start until she was well into her teens.

ds1 is mildly dyslexic. The "magic bullet" that got him up to grade level was Ball-Stick-Bird but by the time he was able to read the likes of Goosebumps, his favourite bedtime stories were Dickens and Homer so it just wasn't that much fun for him. We did most of his content subjects orally and when he decided to go to public school for high school he had an IEP so he could take college prep classes but be excused from a lot of the busywork. He started reading for pleasure when he was 20 and his laptop was stolen.

ds2 can read but he doesn't want to, so I'm not really pushing it. He's read the first set of Bob books and I offer him help with Ball-Stick-Bird after we do Math, but I don't force him if he doesn't want to. He's my digital native so he's puzzling out a lot of environmental print every day. I never taught him the alphabet or did any sort of phonics worksheets, I just showed him what he already knew.

The olders like audio books but ds2 doesn't. When I was a young, idealistic twentysomething, I'd always put my own book down when they wanted me to read to them but ds2 sometimes gets a "No. I'm busy." and I'm a much tougher cookie about twaddle because he could figure it out himself if he chose to do the work.

Right now we're reading Tales of a Chinese Grandmother. He also loved D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths, which he called "The God Book", and asked me to start back at the beginning as soon as I finished the last page.

The D'Aulaire's was a library book, but he's getting his own copy for his birthday, since it was too late to find one for Christmas.

I read to my olders in the mornings before breakfast and at bedtime until they were teenagers. ITA with Nicki and it made no difference whatsoever that dd could read anything she wanted and ds couldn't because of his sophisticated tastes, it was just special time together and a comfortable way to bring up subjects that we might not have had the opportunity to discuss otherwise.

Last edited by Spider123; December 22nd, 2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added the links when I had time

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search