Cyber Book Club!

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2005, 12:00 PM
Brandy81
If anyone is interested in a cyber book club please let me know and post what book you would like to read! We will vote on the choices at a later date!
May 31st, 2005, 12:40 PM
ladybug
I think that would be fun.

I am getting ready to read "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe. It was recommended to me... it is supposed to be very entertaining. Its a huge book- so I dont know how interested anyone would be in that.
June 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HippyChickKelly
im readiing the book Reading Lolita in Terahn.
Its pretty good so far!!
June 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM
sylph21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that would be fun. I can read just about anything. Keep me posted. I'm interested.

June 1st, 2005, 08:01 PM
Super Mommy
I too can read just about anything except romance. Not a big romance fan but other than that anything! Keep me posted!

Thanks

sarah
June 2nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
lilangel91284's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am intersted, i dont really care what we read.
June 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I am definitely interested!!!!!! Keep me posted. I'll read mostly anything...

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
June 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM
writinghoosier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to writinghoosier Send a message via Yahoo to writinghoosier
Quote:
Originally posted by ladybug@May 31 2005, 02:40 PM

I am getting ready to read "I am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe. It was recommended to me... it is supposed to be very entertaining. Its a huge book- so I dont know how interested anyone would be in that.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

This is a great book... read it when it first came out!

I'm interested in the book club, but from the last time we tried this, it was hard to pick one and then the one we picked wasn't out yet... crazy... it's hard for me to pick a book that I haven't read and I am in the middle of trying to read several books off my summer reading list (which is 6 pages long... if I can't write, I can at least read!)

So how do we choose a book? My suggestion and this may sound a little like I don't like democracy, but I say one member pick a book. We read, we discuss and then a member of that reading group picks the next book. If we can, maybe we can announce the book we are reading in all of the forum rooms and then people can join in if they want to discuss. That way, we all get to introduce books to the group. If you aren't interested in reading that particular book, you can join in the next round. Just a suggestion. I would also suggest that Brandy start out, since she is the host, and is the common denominator between all of us!

Thanks for the link, ~Cupcake~!
June 7th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Super Mommy
I think that that is a great idea. I am reading a book right now but it wont take no time to finish it so just let me know what the book is and i will be ready to read Just keep me posted Ill be checking the forum daily so hopefully tomorrow someone will have decided on a book
June 8th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Brandy81
Quote:
Originally posted by writinghoosier+Jun 7 2005, 02:47 PM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-ladybug
Quote:
@May 31 2005, 02:40 PM

<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a great book... read it when it first came out!

I'm interested in the book club, but from the last time we tried this, it was hard to pick one and then the one we picked wasn't out yet... crazy... it's hard for me to pick a book that I haven't read and I am in the middle of trying to read several books off my summer reading list (which is 6 pages long... if I can't write, I can at least read!)

So how do we choose a book? My suggestion and this may sound a little like I don't like democracy, but I say one member pick a book. We read, we discuss and then a member of that reading group picks the next book. If we can, maybe we can announce the book we are reading in all of the forum rooms and then people can join in if they want to discuss. That way, we all get to introduce books to the group. If you aren't interested in reading that particular book, you can join in the next round. Just a suggestion. I would also suggest that Brandy start out, since she is the host, and is the common denominator between all of us!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote]

That sounds fine to me, if it is okay for everyone else! But a warning I choose odd books to read! I kind of have one picked out already! Let me know what you think, and if noone really wants to read it I can pick another.

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

From Gregory Maguire, the acclaimed author of Wicked, comes his much-anticipated second novel, a brilliant and provocative retelling of the timeless Cinderella tale.

In the lives of children, pumpkins can turn into coaches, mice and rats into human beings.... When we grow up, we learn that it's far more common for human beings to turn into rats....

We all have heard the story of Cinderella, the beautiful child cast out to slave among the ashes. But what of her stepsisters, the homely pair exiled into ignominy by the fame of their lovely sibling? What fate befell those untouched by beauty . . . and what curses accompanied Cinderella's exquisite looks?

Extreme beauty is an affliction

Set against the rich backdrop of seventeenth-century Holland, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister tells the story of Iris, an unlikely heroine who finds herself swept from the lowly streets of Haarlem to a strange world of wealth, artifice, and ambition. Iris's path quickly becomes intertwined with that of Clara, the mysterious and unnaturally beautiful girl destined to become her sister.

Clara was the prettiest child, but was her life the prettiest tale?

While Clara retreats to the cinders of the family hearth, burning all memories of her past, Iris seeks out the shadowy secrets of her new household—and the treacherous truth of her former life.

God and Satan snarling at each other like dogs.... Imps and fairy godmotbers trying to undo each other's work. How we try to pin the world between opposite extremes!

Far more than a mere fairy-tale,Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is a novel of beauty and betrayal, illusion and understanding, reminding us that deception can be unearthed—and love unveiled—in the most unexpected of places.
June 8th, 2005, 07:55 AM
That sounds good to me. When should we try to get it by, so we can all start together?

June 8th, 2005, 08:57 AM
writinghoosier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to writinghoosier Send a message via Yahoo to writinghoosier
My suggestion is to break the book down into 4 sections, if that's possible and then read the sections and discuss... some people read fast, others do not... and then we can post thoughts and questions through out the following week when we are reading the next section. Sound confusing? I thought so.

Is Monday too soon to start reading... gives us 5 days to get the book!

Thanks for the link, ~Cupcake~!
June 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM
That sounds good to me. Everyone needs to let us know if it's okay to them...

June 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Brandy81
Sounds good to me! I was going to suggest Monday so I can get the book over the weekend! How 'bout we post a thread in our respective boards or whatever boards you visit alot just in case anyone else would like to join?! Open invitation to all. We will start on Monday!
June 8th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm getting my copy at lunch!
June 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Super Mommy
Sounds good although I have to find time to go and get it lol. It shouldnt be a problem. So have it by monday? Let me know how we are doing the reading and discussing part of the book.
June 9th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Neo76 Send a message via MSN to Neo76 Send a message via Yahoo to Neo76
I would be interested as well!!

June 10th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Super Mommy
Ill check to see if the lib has the book!!
I am almost done with th book im reading now!
The rescue by Nicolas Sparks!! Really good!!
LOL
anyhow Im headin right now to look at the library website!!
June 10th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Super Mommy
I hope I cna get the book intime! Ijust put it on reserve and ther is a long line waiting!!! but ill try

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search