Ever been disappointed by a movie based on a book?

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Me, all the time.
I believe a movie can never be as good as the book. I think the only movie I've watched that was very faithful to a book was the Name of the Rose, but I read the book after seeing the movie, maybe it had something to do with that.
The last book-based movie that disappointed me was Harry Potter 3. I felt I was watching it in fast forward. I realize you cannot put everything in a couple of hours, but I kinda felt some scenes could've been deleted to leave space to most important facts. For example, the scene with the Monster book. Was it really necessary to spend so much time seeing it bite around? Or the hippogrif flying scene, too long for my taste. But I guess if you spend so much money creating a hippogrif, you have to use it, right?
At least the trailer for #4 looks good.
October 23rd, 2005, 06:11 AM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I've ever NOT been disappointed by a movie made from a book. In a book you can fit in a lot more details, and get into each character's head a lot more than they can ever do in a movie. It must be a hard job to write a decent screenplay based on a book.

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
October 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM
sweetlilysmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sweetlilysmom Send a message via MSN to sweetlilysmom Send a message via Yahoo to sweetlilysmom
yes...I much as I loved the movie the Notebook, the book which I read after seeing the movie) was so much better. As was his sequelto it called The wedding. Both very good reads!
October 23rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
VermontMommy's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to VermontMommy Send a message via Yahoo to VermontMommy
I totally agree about "The Notebook"

And "The Firm" is my movie. I LOVED the book so when I rented the movie one weekend and watched it I was very disappointed. It wasn't AT ALL like the book!

</div>
October 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Jinxcat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Shamalan is going to do the Life of Pi movie. I hope he gets it right because the book is amazing!

</div>
October 24th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Dh is a huge fan of Douglas Adams. Imagine his disappointment when we saw "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". As much as he loved the book he hated the movie. He said it had nothing to with the book.

Sharon
October 24th, 2005, 11:44 AM
sweetlilysmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sweetlilysmom Send a message via MSN to sweetlilysmom Send a message via Yahoo to sweetlilysmom
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidsMommy@Oct 24 2005, 02:05 PM
Dh is a huge fan of Douglas Adams. Imagine his disappointment when we saw "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". As much as he loved the book he hated the movie. He said it had nothing to with the book.

Sharon
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]That is my DH favorite book. He hasn't seen the movie yet though.
October 24th, 2005, 04:42 PM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dh worked at a public radio station during college, when they aired "The Hitchiker's Guide" as a radio show. He fell in love with it - then read the books and loved them. The radio production is really good. Of course, the movie wasn't as good, but it was still a fun and quirky little show that made a good date night.

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
October 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM
OpheliaLoved's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by ryansmama@Oct 24 2005, 07:42 PM
My dh worked at a public radio station during college, when they aired "The Hitchiker's Guide" as a radio show.* He fell in love with it - then read the books and loved them.* The radio production is really good.* Of course, the movie wasn't as good, but it was still a fun and quirky little show that made a good date night.
[/quote]

Wasn't it originally a radio show, and then Douglas Adams put it into book form?? That would explain why the radio show was better... I too am an avid fan, but I kind of liked the movie.. not NEARLY as much as I liked the books; and yes the movie was nothing like the books, but I think they did an okay job.. it made me laugh anyway

I have to agree with the third Harry Potter movie.. I was extremely dissappointed! Also, Big Fish wasn't great either; but I hate Tim Burton's movies, so maybe that had something to do with it...

I was extremely pleased with Lord of the Rings.. Again, the books are waaaay better, but the movie could have been really awful.. it's pretty great, I think. But all in all, I'm kind of against turning books into movies...the characters almost never look the same as I had thought...
-O

<div align="center"></div>
October 25th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Veteran
It was a long time ago, but I think JAWS was a better movie than a book! The ending was happier... That's the only movie I can think of that wasn't better as a book.

BTW, my husband and I both read (and enjoyed) the Hitchhikers Guide series but neither of us has seen the movie. Guess we'll skip it!
October 26th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I almost think that "Are there any movies that you liked as well or better than the book" might be a better question. There are numerous examples of bad movie versions, it would be nice to hear about some good ones

October 27th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Nicole's Avatar Veteran
I was disapointed by White Oleander, the book was so good and the movie didn't capture that

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

October 28th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Selestial@Oct 26 2005, 01:39 PM
I almost think that "Are there any movies that you liked as well or better than the book" might be a better question.* There are numerous examples of bad movie versions, it would be nice to hear about some good ones
[/quote]

Just one time. "The Name of the Rose"

Sharon
October 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Personally, I like the Lord of the Rings movies at least as well as the books. I know that die-hard LotR fans disagree, but as I had just read the books for the first time right before the movies came out, I wasn't as stuck on them. I'm sure there are other examples, but that is the first one that came to mind for me.

October 31st, 2005, 05:29 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
im usually so disappointed by the movies i dont bother to see them. i am a huge bridget jones' diary fan that i had to see both the movies and was sooo SOOO disappointed afterwards.

and when tnt did the movie version of The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley which is MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE BOOK i blew off plans to watch it and was so disgusted afterwards i pretend that it doesnt exist.

October 31st, 2005, 07:05 PM
Paper-Bag-Princess
I didn't like the recent version of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy even though I liked the quirkiness, but really enjoyed the book. Also, the more recent version of the film Red Dragon was very similar to the book by R. Harris. The original movie (Manhunter) was not as true to the book as the second movie, although I really like the actors who played Will Graham (Will Peterson of the original CSI and Edward Norton).

Sue
November 1st, 2005, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mshane13@Oct 31 2005, 08:29 PM
and when tnt did the movie version of The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley which is MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE BOOK i blew off plans to watch it and was so disgusted afterwards i pretend that it doesnt exist.
[/quote]

I loved that book too! And you're right, the movie was disappointing.
I guess it's a difficult book to turn into a movie, so many years pass, so much happens, it's just impossible to show it all in a movie.
Some things should stay on paper!

Sharon
November 2nd, 2005, 04:59 AM
Paper-Bag-Princess
Sharon suggested I move this over here. The Shining is a good book but the original film with Jack Nicholson is sooo good and creepy. Those twins send chills up my spine each and every time. The second movie version of that book is truer to the book, but it is somewhat laughable, and doesn't have as much of that creepy factor to it.

The only other books I can think of right now are The Firm. Great book, lousy movie and A Time to Kill is another one that is a good book(although sad premise) and is also a good movie. It doesn't hurt that Mathew McConaughey is in that one either.

Sue
November 2nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
OpheliaLoved's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Selestial@Oct 28 2005, 05:45 PM
Personally, I like the Lord of the Rings movies at least as well as the books.* I know that die-hard LotR fans disagree*
[/quote]

I have been an avid fan of Tolkien since my sister handed me "The Hobbit" when I was eight years old. I'm one of those freaks who knows the entire history of every character and 'species' in Tolkiens beautiful world. I love Middle Earth as if it were my own hometown! Having said that, The Lord of the Rings movies are some of my favorite movies ever made. The cinematography is absolutely brilliant; the movie itself as a work of art is truly breathtaking. The story line was beautifully put into appropriate form for a movie. I was upset at first about the combining of certain characters, but honestly it was done so well that it just worked. Another major factor in my liking the movie is that Tolkien's purpose for writing his books about Middle Earth was to create the basis for his own myth. He WANTED people to take the story and alter it and come up with their own versions of the myth and create their own characters to put into the story. Also, the actors and everyone that worked on the movies were themselves LOTR fans, and highly committed to preserving Tolkien's legacy. I think Tolkien would have been more than pleased with the movies.

I think the reason that most LOTR fans say they hate the movies is because we tend to be an 'underground' group.... I mean, we read about elves, how weird is that lol. So people who are fans of the books tend to be anti-mainstream anything. I think they feel threatened to a certain degree that Middle Earth has become a big part of pop culture. That's my take on it anyway
-O

November 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Actually, the funny thing is, I love fantasy/sci-fi novels, but for some reason I never read LotR as a kid. DH was the one that convinced me to read them, and then the movies were coming out, so I wanted to read the books first.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search