How much does it take you...?

Forum: Readers and Writers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Readers and Writers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
to finish a novel?
Let's say the typical medium size novel, more or less 500 pages?

Before David was born I could read a book a week, I think I'm down to a book a month by now

Sharon
November 6th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Paper-Bag-Princess
LOL! I can totally relate! I could go through a book in about a week as well. Ever since I had Madelyn I'm taking much longer to get through a good size novel, and now with Sam, well, I'm lucky to get much reading done at all because I'm so tired by the time I get to bed, I'd just rather sleep(while I can). I finished The Five People You Meet in Heaven in 3 nights, but that is only 200 pages long. I'm still working on Conversations With God, and I started that probably mid-October. When I wasn't on Maternity leave, I'd read at my lunch hour and breaks when my students weren't around. That's why I got through the Da Vinci Code so quickly (maybe a week or so).

My grammar really sucks tonight. Sorry for the run-on sentences!

btw, Sharon, congratulations on your pg. I hope all goes well for you during your pg. and many blessings to you and your soon- to- be larger family.

Sue
November 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me it seems to completely depend on the book. Right now I am reading "Wicked" and I will probably finish it in about a 2-week timeframe. Prior to that I had gotten "Zorro" from the library and it was a 2-week only rental. Well, didn't finish it, so I'm going to check it out again when I return "Wicked" (assuming its there). I was definitely a faster reader before kids, and I was even a faster reader between kids Having an infant just really messes with my reading time

November 6th, 2005, 05:16 PM
VermontMommy's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to VermontMommy Send a message via Yahoo to VermontMommy
I just finished Nora Roberts "Northern Lights". It's 637 pages long and took me about a week.

</div>
November 6th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Paper-Bag-Princess@Nov 6 2005, 04:42 PM
btw, Sharon, congratulations on your pg. * I hope all goes well for you during your pg. and many blessings to you and your soon- to- be larger family.

Sue
Thanks!
I guess that means I'm about to read a book a year

Sharon
November 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get most of my books from the library, which gives me two weeks. So, I DO read most books within two weeks (deadlines are very motivating for me, lol).

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
November 7th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ryansmama@Nov 7 2005, 02:20 PM
(deadlines are very motivating for me, lol).
Arrgh! I wish!
I couldn't even finish watching the first season of "24" in the week I had it here. I'll have to go rent it again because I'm dying to know what happens.

Sharon
November 9th, 2005, 02:17 PM
OpheliaLoved's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read very slowly and deliberately... I get totally consumed in the page (try having a conversation with me as soon as I close the book-- it's hillarious; like talking to a zombie lol) so it takes me forever to read a single book. Even with deadlines.. I really struggle with that in school, because I have to read A LOT of really difficult things (like stuff written in old english) and it takes me so much longer than other students... I've learned to substitute sleep with reading For leisure reading though, I'm able to set a book down and not touch it for a month, and come back to it as if no time had passed, so that's usually what I end up doing

Although I was able to finish book six of Harry Potter in four days... I didn't eat or sleep; I just read. I guess things will change when I have a little one to care for! Hopefully I'll be getting my reading kicks with Dr. Seuss soon!!!!
-O

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
November 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by OpheliaLoved@Nov 9 2005, 05:17 PM
Although I was able to finish book six of Harry Potter in four days... I didn't eat or sleep; I just read.
Why do those books do that? I also finished it in like three days when a much smaller book can take me about 3 weeks. My poor dh wanted to go to sleep and I kept reading "just one more page".
of course, he did exactly the same thing to me when it was his turn to read it

There's really something about Harry!

Sharon
November 10th, 2005, 06:56 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was just reading reviews on Nora Robert's Northern Lights, it loosk good. she' smy favorite author!!!!

It takes me longer now b/c I have two kids, and by the time they're in bed i'm exhausted! BUT, I think i'm getting my steam back, b/c I just read Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts in 3 days! It was a quick read, but I loved it!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search