Seroquel and pregnancy?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM
haphoping
Hi! I am 5 weeks pregnant and am taking 75 mg of Seroquel to sleep at night. I have been on it for 3 yrs and can't imagine going off. I have a history of depression & anxiety and experienced PPD with my last son (who is 10 yrs now) so I know to start taking ADs right after the birth. I am concerned about the effects on my unborn baby, though in the 8 yrs that Seroquel has been around there has been no confirmed reportings of birth defects. But I do worry about withdrawal after birth....will the baby have insomnia???? Has anyone taken Seroquel while pregnant? Or anxiety/depression meds throughout pregnancy? I would love to hear your story and experiences!! Thank you!
August 31st, 2008, 05:50 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
Welcome to the Coping with a Mood Disorder board ... I was totally unmedicated while pregnant both times plus I have never taken Seroquel so I'm unable to answer ... however I'm sure some of the other ladies here can help you k?

</div>
September 1st, 2008, 02:28 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im not sure sorry. I did breastfeed while taking it though and when I stopped (because it didnt work) I didnt notice any change in Noah

September 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM
haphoping
Hi Lisa, how did you do unmedicated in your pregnancies? Did you cope okay? I don't think that is an option for me unfortunately, but wish it was. I have done a ton of researching on this topic and it seems that the chance of relapse during pregnancy when going off meds it extremely high and I don't want to take that chance. Thanks for any input!
September 10th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
Quote:
Hi Lisa, how did you do unmedicated in your pregnancies? Did you cope okay? I don't think that is an option for me unfortunately, but wish it was. I have done a ton of researching on this topic and it seems that the chance of relapse during pregnancy when going off meds it extremely high and I don't want to take that chance. Thanks for any input! [/b]
yes actually I was pretty much more than okay cause that's when I felt my best ... dunno probably the change in hormones helped me lol

I also didn't really need meds back then (my kids are 15 and almost 14) cause my illness got worse in my mid 30's (I'm 39 now)

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
October 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
justme907's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i lurk in here from time to time...and saw this post. I have bi-polar and I remained on my Seroquel (250mg), Zoloft (50mg) and Lamictal (250mg)

i saw a psychiatrist whose specialty is Pregnancy and Mood disorders and we worked out a safe medicine plan. So i worked with her and my regular Pdoc my entire pregnancy.

I have a 13 months old little girl who is absolutely PERFECT! PM me if you have any questions!

Have a wonderful pregnancy

xoxo
jenn
October 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
lilflower
I was on meds during my pregnancy. Seroquel and Welbutrin. I took 100mg of seroquel everynight. My daughter was ABSOLUTELY fine. I even continued it after she was born and I was breastfeeding, I had to wait 2 hours after taking it to feed her, it would make her a little bit sleepy, but nothing too bad or out of the norm. Are you planning to breastfeed? That helps with PPD. Atleast it helped with mine.
November 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Hi, I am a mother of 4, birth mother to 3... I took no medications in my 1st two pregnancies, and I was a mess. With my last pregnancy, I took seroquel every night to help me sleep, I was monitored closely by my psychologist & she recommended it. My PCP also said it was fine & so did my OBGYN. I had my son, he was 9lbs., 14 oz., he was colic, he is on alimentum, I am not sure if this has/had anything to do w/ the seroquel, they did say that he could be "cranky-er" at first due to the medication but he was colic & that wasn't just cranky. I did experience PPD after I had him, something I didn't have w/ my other 2 pregnancies, again though, I have bi-polar & when you have bi-polar, your risks of getting PPD are more than 50% (which I never knew until AFTER I had my last son, thanks doc!). My son, he's healthy, happy, he's 11 months, gonna be a year in another month, nothing is wrong w/ him at all. When I look back at all of my pregnancies & how I "felt" in general as a person, I would have to say when I took the seroquel I felt the best. I am not going to lie, I was scared after I had him, I was scared of the side effects & the possibilities, but again, I was reassured that this was not a bad medication (like Xanax) and I trust my psychologist, OBGYN & PCP, they didn't even want me to take Motrin, so if they said no to Motrin, and yes to Seroquel, then to me, I felt good about it & looking back, it was helped me a lot & I wished I had taken that w/ my other 2 pregnancies.

If there is anything else I can do to help or you want to chat, just PM me.

HIH
Chantelle

August 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
JustMe907 it's not allowing me to PM you. Do you think you can contact me please? Ty

Alexis

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search