Going to the Dr. on Friday

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to momof2busybees Send a message via Yahoo to momof2busybees
Well I finally made the appt today to go and see my Dr. on Friday to see about getting something for this depression. I weighed myself and I weighted 205 I have never in my life weighted over 185 and that was at my biggest. So I decided that I needed to do something.
Is there anything in petucilar that I should ask for. I have never been on meds for depression before. I am kind of embarressed to even ask but She is a awsome Dr and I am sure she will understand.
But is there anything that I should start out on?
Thanks for the suggestions,
Laura
August 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM
pooker's Avatar Veteran
It might depend on you, and what your doctor feels would be best. My doc told me that sometimes you have to try several before you find one that works. She said that takes at least 4 weeks. Then you have to be on it at least 6 months before you can go off. I am currently taking 50 mg of Zoloft, and I am terrified to go off. I have been on since February. My depression isn't your typical "I'm down in the dumps" but more the "AARRGGHH!!!....boo-hoo, what is wrong with me!" I was screaming so much that my throat would be raw.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!
August 19th, 2004, 07:12 AM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
Laura,
the most important thing is to TALK to your doctor what is going through your head and how you feel inside okay. Explain to him/her to a situation where you have gotten "depressed" and describe what you felted like did feel emotionally drained and/or like you were going to going burst out in anger and/or felt warm. I say this because depending on what kind of of doctor she/he is they might try to convince you other methods before prescribing meds to you first which is okay in some cases. But I think you have tried all those options already or you wouldn't be going your doctor for help right? I use Zoloft as well and my doctor did use the lowest dose and increased it as needed based on my "need" so I am sure the doc would do something similar for you if it comes down to it.

Meds may not be the only solution either, I hope it is for you but if you need to have someone to listen there is always professional counseling which I am doing myself as well to help me deal with my dvorce and other issues. If you have insurance it should cover coumseling sessions. I wish you the best Laura and let us know how your appointment goes on Friday okay. HUGS.

-Dori

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search