Valium during TTC and Pregnancy

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2009, 06:19 AM
HI,

I will be switching my medication in 2 weeks to valium. I have held off TTC for quite a few months because of my issue with medication and pregnancy, but at this rate I feel It may take me some time to be medication free. I have suffered from very bad anxiety and OCD and am currently withdrawing from my medication and dont plant to TTC until I have dropped my valium significantly.

Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of being on valium during pregnancy and if your baby is healthy and happy??, please do not post if you are going to judge me.
SK
June 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I do have experience. I took Valium during my last pregnancy. I took 5mg pills. I didn't take many in the first trimester because I feared cleft palate, but I took one a day in the second trimester. My psychiatrist consulted the leading medical expert in the world of psychiatric medications during pregnancy, and she conformed that Valium is safe to take at moderate levels during pregnancy. (Her name is Jennifer Payne and she runs the Women and Mood Disorders Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital incase you are interested.) In the words of my psychiatrist, "Valium is perfectly safe in pregnancy provided you are not taking huge doses of it like Marilyn Monroe or a 1960's housewife."

As you can see from my signature, my son was stillborn, but it was not in any way related to Valium usage, or any other drug for that matter. I was diabetic and no one knew it, and that's what made him sick.

I am currently TTC and hope to be pregnant soon, and I am using Valium.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

June 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
I've never used it but I'm glad the person above me responded with her experience

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
June 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabaltimore View Post
I do have experience. I took Valium during my last pregnancy. I took 5mg pills. I didn't take many in the first trimester because I feared cleft palate, but I took one a day in the second trimester. My psychiatrist consulted the leading medical expert in the world of psychiatric medications during pregnancy, and she conformed that Valium is safe to take at moderate levels during pregnancy. (Her name is Jennifer Payne and she runs the Women and Mood Disorders Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital incase you are interested.) In the words of my psychiatrist, "Valium is perfectly safe in pregnancy provided you are not taking huge doses of it like Marilyn Monroe or a 1960's housewife."

As you can see from my signature, my son was stillborn, but it was not in any way related to Valium usage, or any other drug for that matter. I was diabetic and no one knew it, and that's what made him sick.

I am currently TTC and hope to be pregnant soon, and I am using Valium.
Thankyou so much for your honest answer.... I actually am crying now......so many other women on forums from where I come from (Australia) have been so judemental about me even considering being on valium whilst becoming pregnant, they have told me I am a cruel preson and how could i even consider this and that i would make a horrible mother. Words can not express how thankful I am for you being open and honest and not afraid of judgement..... I am so very very sorry about your baby.....

I am switching over to 7.5mg of valium per day about would like to be down to 5mg before I TTC in August.....and if I dont feel ready then Im happy to wait....My psych said they same thinkg that Its ok as long as Im not taking a lot, which she said Im definatly not!

Thankyou soooooooooooo much from the bottom of my heart.....
June 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
No problem. I got called a monster on a different forum for the very same reason. I just kept telling them that all of the experts (all SIX of them) told me that it was safe. In fact, they told me that it is safer for the baby for mom to be medicated than to be completely unhinged. I have a study in the other room that says that severe mental health crises cause preterm birth! Some moms can go off their meds and hold it together and that's great, but my doctors have informed me that I'm not one of them, and that my baby NEEDS me to be on meds. I used to be a therapist, so I know my doctors are right.

Please PM me if you ever need reassurance

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

June 19th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I dont think you a monster.....You can only do what you need to do to get through the day and sometimes i wish people would understand that rather then judge!

I will def PM if I have any questions!

Anyone else out there????
July 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM
HailandNevansmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took a benzo through out my pregnancy but not everyday. It wasnt valium.. but ive known lots of moms who did and their babys are fine.. maybe wait till 14 weeks pregnant tho.

January 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM
hi
I so feel for you. I am also currently trying to get prenant, in end of jan. i've tried to rid of valium and has been successful since the beginning of Jan. but last nite i just couldn't sleep and have taken some. i really wish that i shouldn't but i know i'll feel even worse if i don't.
my doc told me that it 'washed out' of the body fairly quickly -in about 2 wks. which is when i'll be trying. does anyone knows that? i'm really trying not to hav it during my pregnancy. plss anyone with the same experience help...
January 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i took xanax up until the beginning of my 2nd trimester. I was on a kinda large dose and my psychiatrist said it would be dangerous to me and the baby if i just stopped cold turkey. so it took a few months to wean off of it. My baby was and is healthy =) He's now almost 2.5 yo

February 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittenKitten View Post
HI,

I will be switching my medication in 2 weeks to valium. I have held off TTC for quite a few months because of my issue with medication and pregnancy, but at this rate I feel It may take me some time to be medication free. I have suffered from very bad anxiety and OCD and am currently withdrawing from my medication and dont plant to TTC until I have dropped my valium significantly.

Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of being on valium during pregnancy and if your baby is healthy and happy??, please do not post if you are going to judge me.
SK
02/05/10
Hi SmittenKitten,
I hope you get my reply, I just found this website about a half hour ago and wasn't sure what to put as a homepage. I'm not sure how much I can help you, but I would like to tell you what is going on with me. I just found out I was pregnant three days ago, and confirmed it that same day with my PCP. I was taking 30mg. of valium every day; 10mg. 3x a day, and when my doc found out I was pregnant, immediately started weaning me off. I have read such disturbing things about what valium can do to the fetus, especially in the first month/trimester of pregnancy, and the info. really scares me. As of today I am down to 15 mg. a day, 5mg. 3x a day. Hopefully I will be completely off in no more than one week. I also suffer from anxiety and OCD, along with depression and other mental health issues. It is very hard and I am very scared. All I can do is do my best to get off all these meds and hope that my baby will be okay. I also wanted to tell you that you are not doing anything wrong. I also am very affected my negative comments. People who are going to judge you and say negative things don't deserve to take up any time or space in your head. (Geez, I need to take my own advice!) I just want you to know that I am here for you and I can relate to your situation. Please write me back if you get the chance; I'd love to hear from you. Since I wasn't sure what to put as my homepage, my name here at JustMommies is Aly3, and my personal e-mail is aaborges@students.pima.edu. I hope to hear from you and try not to worry; you are doing everyting you can to do the best thing for you and your future baby. You are being very smart about the choices you are making. Good luck and hope to hear from you!
Alyson (Aly3)
Also, if anyone else has any advice for me or are in a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you. Also, like SmittenKitten, if you are going to be jugmental and rude, please refrain from replying...that kind of stuff is the last thing I need right now. Thank you!

Last edited by Aly3; February 5th, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
February 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
JustBreathe
It's good to know valium is safe to some degree. I have definitely reduced my xanax intake-- a bottle that used to last 28 days now lasts 6 weeks, but I wondered what I would do during pregnancy should my anxiety go nuts.
February 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hi JustBreathe,
I just checked my E-mail and saw that you replied to what I had to say. Thank you very much and it was nice to hear from you! I know you said you were relieved to hear that valium was safe to some degree during pregnancy, but I'm not so sure, unfortunately. I do know that it can cause cleft palate when taken early on in pregnancy, but I'm not sure what else. I was so scared that I weaned myself off my valium entirely a week ahead of the weaning schedule my Dr. had for me. You also wrote that you were afraid of dealing with your anxiety while pregnant, and that's what I'm going through right now, as this was an unplanned pregnancy. I'm not sure how much of it is hormones, withdrawl, or natural anxiety, but lately I've been experiencing extreme nervousness, very rapid heartbeat, crying at every little thing, and sometimes I feel like I can't control my emotions. I've also been getting really angry at times. I met two new people recently, and I got so unexpectedly angry at them (not on purpose!) that they are not involved in my life anymore. This is a very scary and unsure time for me. But in my opinion, you are doing the right thing by planning on weaning yourself off Xanax before you TTC. Xanax can cause the same problems during pregnancy that valium can. I applaud you for what you are doing, and you are lucky to be able to wean off your medication at your own pace, before you are pregnant. I'm not sure how long you've been taking xanax, but I was taking valium for 6 years straight until I weaned off recently. It's very scary to feel so vulnerable to my emotions and to not know what other kind of anxiety symptoms I might experience from one minute to the next. Please reply back if you'd like to talk some more...again my e-mail is: aaborges@students.pima.edu. I'd love to hear back from you if you want to talk or have any suggestions or questions. And sorry my responses are so long, I always tend to overwrite (sorry!) Nice to hear from you,
Aly3
February 11th, 2010, 06:20 AM
JustBreathe
Hi Aly! I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with your emotions. Feel free to vent here as often as you like. Also, have you considered visiting JustMommie's Unplanned Pregnancy board? Sharing your feelings with others who are in your position may help you feel more relaxed and supported, that you are not in this alone. You can click Unplanned Pregnancy - JustMommies Message Boards to get to that board.

Have you considered meeting with a counselor to talk about ways to deal with your emotions?
March 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karie1210 View Post
i took xanax up until the beginning of my 2nd trimester. I was on a kinda large dose and my psychiatrist said it would be dangerous to me and the baby if i just stopped cold turkey. so it took a few months to wean off of it. My baby was and is healthy =) He's now almost 2.5 yo
I'm so glad you posted this. And I'm glad to find this thread. I have been working on switching my meds up, with the plan to get of V before TTC, but DH and I had ill-timed unprotected so, I"m a little worried about weaning off faster. I feel ready to get off it, I've weaned down from 5mg a night to 3 mg in the last two weeks, but my dr. wants me to hang out longer at 3.

So, thanks for sharing that your boy was fine.

I was unmedicated for part of pg#1, and everyday for at least 4 month, I thought about stepping in front of a train...
March 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
in my opinion, i think it's better to correctly wean yourself off the medication than go too quickly. my mom kind of forced me to wean myself quicker than my doctor recommended and even though things went well, i wish i wouldn't have let her persuade me into doing that b/c it just as easily could have NOT gone so well and could have put my son in danger.

i'm sorry about your 1st pg experience =( i hope this pregnancy goes much smoother for you!!!

March 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM
JustBreathe
I also hope that this pregnancy goes much smoother ladybugger! We are here to support you if you'd like us to be!
July 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Hi, I just found out last night that I'm pregnant. Had blood work today to confirm and see how far, i'm guessing between 3-6 weeks. I'm scared out of my mind because I've been taking prescribed valium for 6 months. I've slowly been using less, down to 5mg a day, but when i looked at the bottle today and read the label warnings about pregnancy, i freaked out. I went on line and am scared to find all the defects this med can cause. I also had a miscarriage about 4 years ago and was on valium at that time as well and am wondering now if that's what caused it. Can anyone tell me if they've had healthy babies? I wanted for my psychiatrist to call with instructions, but would like to discuss it with someone now. From what I've read so far, I could have already harmed my baby by taking it in the first trimester. Can anybody offer advice or experience?
November 13th, 2010, 03:05 PM
It's very reassuring to hear these posts. Im 22 and 8 and a half months pregnant with my first child. I havent been taking anything to help my SEVERE anxiety for the past 4 years, and finally was put on zanax right before I became pregnant. It really did help so much, but when I found out I was pregnant, I stopped taking them. My anxiety has been higher then ever, due to personal issues, as my fiance and the father of my child is facing 8 years in prison. The emotional stress has made my anxiety shoot through the roof, and I am finally going to see a therapist. I was weighing out the pros and cons of taking anything to help calm me down. My doctor told me there are many safe things you can take during pregnancy, just not in high doses. In my mind, I think its safer for me to be on a low dose medication then to let my son suffer along with me in my increadiblly stressed out state.
November 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
HailandNevansmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is valium effective for racing thoughts, and obsessing as well as anxiety i want to ask my dr about it.

August 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Sorry, deleted. tmi on my part..

Last edited by g9 in wonderland; August 14th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search