I'm back here again and need advice

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! I've been here several times before. My short story though is I have had depression for years now. This February my aunt and cousin were shot and killed and I've gone downhill since then. At first I tried Zoloft but it made me so sleepy and then b/c we were TTC I just quit taking anything. Now I'm pregnant again and while I'm very happy about that I've been having anxiety for months now and it's getting really bad. I worry about everything. I worry about something happening to me, my kids, my dh. I used to not be like this. I spend the majority of my day worrying. So I decided maybe I should talk to my OB about medication but I've done some research on a few and even though they say they are category C they still have side effects that could happen to the fetus.

Any advice for me? I just want to be like I used to be before this happened. What's even worse is I cry so badly just trying to talk about it. I'm not in counseling but I wonder if it would be easier if I saw a counselor and then let her explain to my OB what's going on.

What would you do? Any tips for me?

September 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
I would definitely recommend a therapist and a counsellor. I have excessive worrying as well and my therapist gives me exercises to do when I am feeling overwhelmed. Sometimes I realize that I am experiencing irrational fears, but other times I don't. That would be my first step. As for medication, there is always a risk and it's really a personal decision. How can you best take care of you and your baby? If your depression/anxiety is interfering with the ability to take care of yourself and your family, it may be time to go on medication. That's a decision only you and your doctors can decide. Along with the therapist, I would talk to my OBGYN at your next appointment. There have been recent studies that have shown that untreated depression is actually worse than medication. After speaking with your OB make an appointment to see a psychiatrist and get their imput. In the end the decision is ultimately yours.... I wish you the best. Keep us posted and if you need anything, we're here!
September 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
inklady9's Avatar Glad to be a Mommy
I have anxiety and have been taking paxil for 9 years. I took it while preg with DD who is 7 years old and am taking it now and am 23 weeks preg.
Sometimes the risk from the med is worth it to save yourself mentally.

September 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I called and spoke with my OB's nurse. She said under the circumstances she thinks he will probably give me something to take. She said she will call me later and let me know what med he wants to try. Lucky for me she made it very easy for me to talk to her and she didn't treat me like I was weird or anything.

So I'll just wait for the phone call now.

September 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Let us know how you are doing... I know it's a really hard decision... I'm curious to know what he prescribed...
September 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
inklady9's Avatar Glad to be a Mommy
Best of luck and I really hope it helps.

September 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
He gave me Lexapro. I'm not too sure about that. I made another post on here about it but most of what I've read says that Prozac and Zoloft are safer. I want to take it and I did last night but now I'm not sure. Should I wait till my appointment on Monday first and see why he prescribed that over Prozac?
He didn't give me Zoloft b/c it makes so sleepy.

September 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Actually my OB said that Prozac is probably the least safe AD. I guess new research shows that it isn't metabolized as fast as some of the other ones and the more you take the longer it stays in your body. There isn't a whole lot of information on this newer research, but that was the last thing I read. It took me by surprise because I thought it was the safest too. When you go back on Monday just talk honestly about your concerns and what the doctor believes and tell him what you have read/heard.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search