Lexapro in pregnancy?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since Zoloft makes me very sleepy my OB decided to give me Lexapro.

I've been reading up on it and it seems that Prozac and Zoloft are considered the safest for pregnancy. So now my question is should I take the Lexapro then? I really want to. I'm tired of being anxious all the time it's running my life right now or should I wait until my next appointment on Monday and ask him why he chose the Lexapro?

September 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
I just had my appointment with the OB yesterday and I told her I was concerned because my Psych prescribed 100 mg of Zoloft and I wanted to be on a lower dose and she assured me that taking the AD was better than being depressed/anxious. She made me feel a lot better about the whole situation. She basically said that I needed to take care of myself in order to take care of the baby.

The same is true of you and Lexapro. The only AD that was proven unsafe during pregnancy was Paxil. While ALL ADs carry risks, the risks are super small. And most AD only cause a temporary problem after the baby is born with transition breathing, or something like that. And my OB said she would have the pediatrician on call and that it would only be a temporary problem. If your doctor prescribed it he/she probably weighed the benefits and risks to both you and the baby. If you are really concerned, put it a call to their office. I'm sure they will call you back and put your mind at ease one way or the other.
September 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM
happymom2Logan's Avatar Soon to be Mommy of 2
I think Lexapro is in category C which means not enough is known about it I think.. though I could be wrong.

Your doctor knows your are pregnant, so I Don't think the s/he would put you on something knowing it could harm the baby.

I'm on Effexor xr, and it's completely safe for the pregnancy, and breast feeding.

I know you are in the States but if you want there is a great number you can call out of Toronto that has all the research studies etc on medicine that is safe or unsafe for your baby.

I called them as both my psychiatrist & GP told me to phone them with info for that.

Look up MotherRisk. The Hospital for Sick Children - Motherisk - Contact Us

Logan Xavier was born 02/27/10
Weighing 6lbs 9 1/2 oz

September 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks ladies. I do need something so until my appointment on Monday I have decided to take 1/2 of it every night. If that works then at least it is a smaller dose.

September 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Super Mommy
i dont think half a dose will work, especially with the extra blood in your system. listen to your doctor. i mean whats the point of being on meds, if they dont help. either you in or out.....

anyways thats my opinion.....

Dx - unicornuate uterus - ask me, i am not shy
September 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Kimberley17's Avatar Veteran
I took 20mg of Lexapro while pregnant with my son and am still taking it and am pregnant again. The benefits of it far outweigh me not taking it. I have terrible anxiety and the stress from that would be far more dangerous than taking Lexapro. I have asked several doctors and all have said the same thing that of course it's better to not take medication but it is safe. The doctor who prescribed it to me said he would let his wife take it while pregnant. What dose were you prescribed?
September 25th, 2009, 09:22 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
My doctor consulted with the leading expert in the field, Jennifer Payne of the Women and Mood Disorder's clinic at Johns Hopkins, about all my medications, Lexapro included. She said that all SSRIs are really equally safe in pregnant women, they've just studied some more than others. She said absolutely not to take me off of my Lexapro, because unmedicated pregnant women who should be medicated have a 20% chance of preterm labor. If I needed it (and I do) I should take it.

I hope that helps a little.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

September 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks ladies. I was prescribed 10 mg daily. I've been taking it now for about 3 weeks. I feel tremendously better. I still have a day here or there where I'm anxious. I guess that's normal right? I mean how long does it take to see the full effect of Lexapro? Maybe it hasn't been long enough. I would say though that I'm 90% better than I was before I started taking it. I also talked to my kids pediatrician who assured me that it's perfectly safe.

October 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Lurker here...I know I'm a little late on this but I wanted to comment b/c I took Lexapro through my entire pregnancy. My son had issues but not at all related to Lexapro. My dr consulted with the lead OBGYN and confirmed that Lexapro was fine for me to take...I also spoke w/ a Lactation Consultant who told me it was fine....like some of the other ladies, for me the benefits outweight the risks. Both DH, me and my doctor all agreed. I was on 10mg and for whatever reason, I was much happier being pregnant and was able to take only a 1/2 of a pill throughout my pregnany. some docs will recommend coming off the medication a few weeks before delivery but I had an emergency c section a few weeks early and was not able to do so and my son was still fine.

Do what you have to do to stay a happy and healthy mommy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search