Has Anyone Tried St. John Wart

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to momof2busybees Send a message via Yahoo to momof2busybees
I have been reading alot about different meds for depression and I found about St. John Wart in a article that listed all kinds of depression meds and side effects ect. It said that it is a very good herbal treatment for mild to moderate depression.
Has anyone tried it? I am thinking of trying it. It is a herbal med so it is more natural then the chemical drugs out there. But I dont' want to waste my time if it does not work
Hugs,
Laura
August 19th, 2004, 06:24 PM
zonapellucida
you need to take a lot of it to be somewhat effective--i suggest 5-htp.
August 19th, 2004, 07:07 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have used it and could tell a difference right away. I felt euphoric when I took it and I am not one to have psychosomatic responses to things. I have taken plenty of other herbal products that I would not recommend. I think it is a great natural antidepressant and if it works for you I think you would see results rather quickly. If it doesn't work for you then you may not see results. If you have had problems with other antidepressants though you may have the same problems with this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 19th, 2004, 09:21 PM
grneydgurl's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to grneydgurl Send a message via Yahoo to grneydgurl
I tried St. Johns Wart and it falls in the same line as SSRI's side effect wise. I had massive mood swings and what nots....I obviously have never taken it since.
<div align="center"> Jesci's Myspace </div>
August 24th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
It works ok. Dh used it for some time. But had to switch to a script med when St. Johns Wart was no longer working. Well the side effects of one of dh's meds for MS is depression or mood swings. Well his MS med made his mood swings worse than St. Johns Wart helps.
August 25th, 2004, 08:22 AM
I've tried St. John's Wort, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I wasn't taking a good brand because since herbs aren't regulated, it might not have been what they said it was.

August 27th, 2004, 07:37 PM
lilepad's Avatar Member
I don't know if you are BFing, but if so, it is not recommended to take St. John's Wort. I don't know much other than that.

boob man
October 24th, 2004, 08:36 AM
emma's Avatar Regular
I tried St. John's and did not find any difference. However, I did find out something very disturbing - it has one of the same chemicals in it (naturally occurrring) as does the antidepressant family of MAOIs. This chemical (which I can't remember off the top of my head) can have a deadly reaction with fermented food items, such as wine, cheeses, smoked meats such as sausage, etc. If you are taking one of the MAOIs, the pharmacist and the drug company say what foods not to eat while taking the med. But, because herbal remedies are not as regulated, the herbal remedy companies don't have to tell their customers about that. When I found out about the dietary restrictions, I quit St. John's (it was either that or give up wine and cheese!)
October 24th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Just my two cents here, but I used to take that years ago and I honestly can say it made no difference. I am currently taking Celexa for PPD and it works perfectly for me. Just enough of a lift to keep me going and it doesn't have any visible side effects for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search