Q for you ladies who are pregnant and on meds

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your dh/so know you are on meds?

I'm torn right now. If I try to explain to dh why I'm taking Lexapro I don't think he will really understand. In his mind anything that may cause harm to our baby isn't worth risking. On the other hand if I don't tell him and the baby does have some sort of problem then what?

I know I'm probably worrying way too much about this. I just wish I didn't need the meds to begin with

September 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
DH and I agreed that I needed to go back on my meds. But I spent two days in bed crying and then after that I ended up getting into a huge fight with him, and I ended up hitting him and biting him and basically being really violent. So it wasn't much of a choice. And I was just being mean in general. So to save everyone's sanity we decided it was for the best. I would look at information on depression in pregnancy and show him the various studies being done. I don't DH would have been able to relate if that episode hadn't happened. I think he understands the depression and the medication a lot more now. And I'm doing much better with both now that I started Zoloft. I would clue him in because he really needs to be supportive right now and he can't do that if he doesn't know what's going on. Just my opinion.
September 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Super Mommy
its a tough one. i would feign ignorance. the doc subscribed it so dont question it. and try to stop worrying. the chances of birth defects are sooooo small and your doc is monitoring you. in fact, its riskier doing what i am doing. TTC while on lexapro. according to my psychiatrist, the risk is highest in the 1st month when all organs are being formed. so try breathe and redirect your focus to other things, like excercising, eating well, relaxing - which will benefit you so much more than worrying about somehting you really have no control over. there are studies that the impacts of stress on a fetus are really bad. you are now on meds to prevent that impact. no sense in contiuing to worry.

Dx - unicornuate uterus - ask me, i am not shy
September 25th, 2009, 09:19 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
My DH knows and supports me because my doctors say it's okay. He also knows from my research that me going off the deep end is just as dangerous for the baby as my meds. Seriously, unmedicated pregnant women who should in fact be medicated have a 20% chance of preterm labor. DH doesn't want to take that risk any more than I do.

But if you don't think your DH can handle it, don't tell him. That's just my anyway. Good luck.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

September 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
Yes my DH knows. I have been on meds since I met him. The dose sometimes changes and I did switch from paxil to Zoloft when I got pregnant this time. He knows how much I struggle without them, the risks of being off are much greater for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search