Introducing myself

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. I'm Rachel. I'm married to my wonderful husband, Billy. More than anything, I want a baby. Does that make me selfish? I'm basically one big mental case. I've been diagnosed with ADHD, Depression, NOS mood disorder (I'm basically out of control and over react to everything), and Asperger's. I know, Asperger's is on the autism spectrum and ergo there is no medication for it, but it's one of my diagnosis and a part of mental health so I thought I'd mention it. I'm currently on Abilify, for the NOS mood disorder and because recent studies have shown that atypical bipolar medications help a little with Asperger's. I'm on Lamictal also for the NOS mood disorder as well as depression. I'm on Concerta for ADHD. I take Ativan when emergency situations, that is, when I get really out of control. I'm on Trazodone for sleep.

Like I was saying, I really want to TTC. However, the doctor has informed me that I'd have to titrate off all the medications except for Concerta which I can stop immediately. Frankly, I'm scared to go off all medicine. Last time I did that, I landed myself a week-long inpatient stay in the hospital where I was put back on medication. The doctor has told me that it's possible that pregnancy hormones will keep me stable, but there is no way to know for sure until I actually get pregnant.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

March 18th, 2010, 03:52 PM
JustBreathe
Welcome Rachel! I think it really is a personal choice-- and no, I don't think wanting a baby is selfish. I'm afraid to go off of my psych meds too, but I think having a plan and another plan is important. I'm in counseling now to work on my anxiety and depression issues, I'm utilizing deep breathing and journaling to help deal with my emotions and becoming comfortable really talking about my true feelings with my family members-- which has been difficult! I hope that these ideas help you, but again, it's a personal choice!
March 19th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Michelle, thanks so much for your reply. I know I have to go off all meds if I want a baby, which I do. As far as strategies go, I want to thank you for your suggestions. I am starting counseling. Well, I already had one session with my counselor, but it was mostly about my diagnosis, living situation, family history, etc. Oh, we also talked about how Xander, the big dog pictured in my siggie, was thought to have bone cancer. Turned out he just had some soft tissue damage. But I go back next week for my second appointment. Maybe then we can talk about strategies, because I think strategies is a great idea!

March 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister is bipolar and was on a lot of medications before she got pregnant. She had to quit taking a few of them, but she was able to stay on her wellbutrin and lamictal for the depression and mania. I think Lamictal is a category C for pregnancy. Which basically means (I think!!) if the risks of going off the medication outweigh the risk of the medication, you should stay on it. My sister is not stable at all without her medication, so the doctor strongly recommended she stay on the Lamictal (and the Wellbutrin is fine to take while pregnant AND breastfeeding).

I took Wellbutrin during my pregnancy, plus while I was breastfeeding, and my son is fine. And my sister's son is also healthy =)

Did your psychiatrist tell you you would have to stop all medications??? Or your ob-gyn??? If it was your ob, I'd definitely talk to your psychiatrist, because there are definitely medications out there that are safe to take for depression (like wellbutrin). And I don't see why he would recommend you stopping EVERYTHING when there is a big possibility that you would not be stable. And being stable is definitely a priority during pregnancy.

March 19th, 2010, 04:42 PM
My psychiatrist told me that it would be best if I went off all medications but if, after I go off of them, it is decided that pregnancy hormones are NOT keeping me stable, then we will revisit medication.

March 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM
JustBreathe
I'm glad you are in counseling Rachel, I'm just beginning myself, too. My third appt. is Wednesday.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search