Question about antidepressants

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So it looks like I may be starting Zoloft for ppd/anxiety. Two things making me not want to take it....both of which are pretty stupid, I guess.....One, I don't want to gain weight and I have heard they cause weight gain......what has been your experience? Two....I like to enjoy cocktails/wine a few nights a week with DH....do you have to completely cut out alcohol while on an antidepressant? I know these are pretty dumb reasons to be wary of a drug that may make me happier, but I am just being honest.....

May 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Those are not stupid reasons at all! My experiance on Celexa is I've lost weight. But I am a depressed eater. When I am depressed or bored I eat. But that is different with the meds. Now if you don't have an apetite while depressed then I can see it causing some weight gain. But you just have to make different food choices to keep that from happening. And as for the drinking this website is what I got after sarching I hope it helps you out! Alcohol and Zoloft

Hope you stick around and feel better soon!

DSD:S 12
DSS:T 7
DD: A 6 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

Getting Married 6/11/16!!!

May 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
they aren't stupid reasons to be worried. I was on Prozac, and didn't really notice any weight gain - that was related to the meds... I'm obese as it is & any weight gain I had is because of my lifestyle....

can't help with the drinking - but I know they do say to 'limit' your intake.. which probably means different things to different people!

May 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was on Zoloft I didn't gain any weight and I don't drink so I can't be of help there.

May 7th, 2010, 08:05 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for the responses!!!! I did pick up the Zoloft today but I haven't taken it yet.....but I almost feel better just knowing I have it here....so weird LOL!!!!!???

Happy to hear you guys did not notice a bunch of weight gain!

May 9th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Regular
My husband takes Zoloft. It wreaks havok with his digestive system, the runs. He doesn't drink,but if it says don't drink I wouldn't push it. Try O'Douls's
May 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't take zoloft, but I do take both cipralex and welbutron, I hadn't noticed much weight gain, maybe a couple of pounds, but that may not be due to the drugs. Also I do go out and have a drink now and then, my doctor told me that as long as I'm not going to get drunk there is no problem with having a single drink on occation.

I hope you're having good luck with it.

May 31st, 2010, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
ummm im on paxil and wellbutrin, and they say drinking on wellbutrin can cause seizures. but i've been a drinker the entire time i've been on wellbutrin (almost 5 years). i know that's not good, but I'm just saying... I think it depends on your body chemistry, etc, etc..... but I'm sure if you have a couple drinks on the weekends, it will be fine.

then again, i'm not a doctor, lol. so i really dont know!

June 1st, 2010, 08:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
At one time or another I have been on all SSRI's and didn't gain weight on any of them. I don't drink so can't help there but my cousin's MIL(also Bi-polar) drinks once a week and does fine.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

June 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM
Regular
My doc says no alcohol.
June 1st, 2010, 09:48 AM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
I just started on them but I have less of an appetite then usual at the moment.

June 1st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started back on Cymbalta and I have lost 6 pounds so far in three weeks, I am not hungry at all.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

June 5th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Libby22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its hard to come off it

missed m/c 28 march 2010- Toni 11 weeks CP 11 march 2015- Katie 4 weeks 10 May 2015 Lilly- 4 weeks CP
June 18th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Soleil's Avatar Happy & Blessed
Just some thoughts...

I have battled with Major Depressive Disorder since age 26. I'm 31 now.

At one point, I was on 11 different psychiatric meds. Side effects were miserable. I gained weight. I lost weight. I lactated. I stopped my period. I got hives. My hair thinned.

I am proud to say that I am now on only one medicine: effexor.

I distinctly remember being unstable and with my psychiatrist. Almost yelling at her when she put me on a drug caleld Depakote. I almost refused, as I knew that it was a huge weight gain offender. I tried it for 3 weeks, felt no different so weaned off.

Then my psych. introduced me to Effexor, which saps your sex drive, makes you more tired at times, and causes weight stalls.

I am overweight. I am tired moreso at night than when off the meds. But I am happy. I am productive at work, kind to my friends, good to my husband. I can thrive as a human.

The side effects are nasty. But, for me, the alternative is worse.

I am currently 6 wks pregnant and off my med. I cry freely and am riddled with worry, worry, worry. I see my doctor on Monday, thankfully. I have heard Wellbutrin and Prozac can be safe while pregnant. We'll see what she thinks.

Anyway hope this helped and best wishes.
June 22nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Okay... I've BTDT & I'm still doing it...

As far as medications making your gain weight, you have to outweigh the positives & negatives. For me, I've been on EVERYTHING....literally, and my "cocktail of Rx's" are some that have forced weight on my tiny frame. It's been one of those things that I had to outweigh & it made more sense. I would rather be heavier than have no libido, I would rather be happier overweight than miserable & skinny. So, if you've tried it all, and this is what is being offered to you, it's something you need to decide for yourself. It's your decision ultimately.

As far as the occasional drink (or my doc's words "self medicating"), I do drink, but not a lot, I never drink to get drunk but if I want a glass of wine, I have one. If I want a cocktail (stronger) I have one...but I know what my limits are & how the medications affect me. I realize what drinks are not okay & what combos aren't safe. I also have been blindsided on occasion, been on the same meds for years, have "a" drink...not even be done w/ the drink & all of a sudden, falling on the floor & sick. I asked my doc's about this episode in question & they said that it was my body's reaction. It hasn't happened much, but it has happened. I know my limits but sometimes my body responds differently & you have to be very careful.

I'm honest w/ my docs about alcohol & all that jazz. So I think that you have to be honest w/ yourself, your docs & what you expect from the combos that you're discussing.

Regardless, I hope my reply helps somewhat. KUP

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search